U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

350 posts, read 72,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Mental problems? That's just not true.

A for-sale sign is not a permission slip. It's a notification, not an invitation to trespass.
When it says for sale, it is not trespassing

When I leave my vehicle in my driveway with a FOR SALE sign atop, people will come and look at it.
I just invited them to. They will look through the windows, maybe even open the door. But hopefully, I locked the door.
Yes they will look at it.

if you invite them, they will come. Nosy neighbors have no right to call the cops on them simply for looking at what is advertised for sale
These kind of people are un-stable

Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM

39,624 posts, read 38,236,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
When it says for sale, it is not trespassing
You are wrong.

A for-sale sign is not an entitlement to trespass. It is STILL private property, and if you walk on that property without owner (or owners' agent) permission, you are trespassing.

Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Not bizarre at all. I just posted about six vagrants who set up housekeeping in a house staged for sale right down the street from me. They were caught by an observant neighbor. This is a very nice neighborhood where houses routinely go for $500k and up in a very active community full of busybodies looking for their next drama, so these trespassers were pretty damn brazen. There was no way they would go unnoticed for long. I think that if the OP's spidey-sense is going off, he should absolutely call the police and let them check it out.

That said, please practice the appropriate discernment. If there's a car parked out front, and the visitors are walking around pointing and taking notes, it's likely a potential buyer or even someone who has already made a tentative offer. Regardless, I suggest just walking over and introducing yourself. If they're up to no good, your initiation of friendly contact will demonstrate that someone is keeping an eye on the property.
Your situation is not of someone simply looking at a house. You are talking about someone moving into someone else's house. Totally different circumstance.

It never hurts to introduce yourself as a neighbor if you are concerned. Just be polite and say hi. They'll likely appreciate it

Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM

Quote:
You are wrong.

A for-sale sign is not an entitlement to trespass. It is STILL private property, and if you walk on that property without owner (or owners' agent) permission, you are trespassing.
I didn't say it wasn't private property.

FOR SALE means it is FOR SALE, a.k.a a bright red and white sign soliciting a buyer.

If you are a buyer, of course, you will stop to look at it. You won't move in, or move things around. You will be respectful knowing
it is someone else's property. If not, then there should be trouble. That's not part of the process. Same thing with a Garage Sale

I am not sure why this is so confusing

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't private property. You are dead wrong. FOR SALE means it is FOR SALE, aka they are looking for a buyer. If you are a buyer, of course you will stop to look at it.

I am not sure why this is so confusing
I don't either. You're wrong. Plain and simple.

Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I don't either. You're wrong. Plain and simple.
I guess we'll agree to disagree

Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I guess we'll agree to disagree
If you want to, but the fact remains that even if a house is for sale, to go on the property without authorization of the owner is trespassing.

It's the owner's private property. It's not Wal-Mart.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

11,174 posts, read 3,908,835 times
this has been worked to death in the past. After much discussion Such visitors may or may not violate the trespass statute. Depends on the state.

Practically though the outcome will be the visitors get asked to leave is the worst case. No one anywhere can pursue trespass without being the owner or his agent.

In some areas it is common. In others it is unthinkable.

I have had clients who would check out properties themselves before deciding on a showing. I would warn them of houses which were occupied so they would not go into the yards of such places. Mostly worked though not always.

So local custom with no general rule and a very wide range of applicable statutes.

Personally I would watch and call the cops if there was an indication of a forced entry or some other sort of property damage. Otherwise just ignore it.

And anyone who asks about the place next door...in a year there were 3 or 4...gets truth flavored with how we would rate them as a neighbor.

Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM

3,949 posts, read 2,139,735 times
OK - It is still trespassing to walk property or look in windows without PERMISSION of the owner or their agent, and you get that PERMISSION through having your agent with you, who will be following whatever showing instructions have been set up for the listing. You aren't allowed to just walk a property that is for sale, and you're placing yourself at risk if you do trespass.

That said... our OP here, should be banned for his posts shown in post #50. That's never OK.

Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM

11,174 posts, read 3,908,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
OK - It is still trespassing to walk property or look in windows without PERMISSION of the owner or their agent, and you get that through having your agent with you, who will be following whatever showing instructions have been set up for the listing.

That said... our OP here, should be banned for his posts shown in post #50. That's never OK.
Go back and review the history - you were in at least one of those threads. You are flat out wrong in many places.

In NV it has to be posted or fenced or there is no trespass. And in NV you can trespass anyone but only the owner or his agent can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or