U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:32 AM

349 posts, read 72,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
***sigh*** not the police part, the part where you assume no one should question you because of your appearance.
He never said no one should question him, he said no one would or would likely question him and that makes sense.
And that makes sense since he said he's 1/2 of a middle aged couple with a nice truck who is not likely to get questioned.
Again, that is likely true in the context he meant it, in most circumstances. please stop picking fights

Old Today, 08:05 AM

39,624 posts, read 38,236,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
He never said no one should question him, he said no one would or would likely question him and that makes sense.
And that makes sense since he said he's 1/2 of a middle aged couple with a nice truck who is not likely to get questioned.
Again, that is likely true in the context he meant it, in most circumstances. please stop picking fights
I’ve been doing this a lot longer than you have, and if you want to continue here you will need to learn the difference between “picking fights” and calling out BS.

Old Today, 08:43 AM

4,549 posts, read 1,570,559 times
A few years ago, My best friend and I took a trip to Chattanooga to look at houses.

Her and her husband were considering moving to Chattanooga, but they wanted to get an idea of the neighborhoods, and what housing was available. They didn't need an agent yet. An agent that would probably try to pressure them to buy, when they weren't ready to buy just yet. So, she and I took a trip, and we drove around Chattanooga, looking at houses for sale.

If it appeared that a house was vacant, we'd look in the back yard. If a window didn't have closed curtains, we looked inside.

I would not be surprised if nearby neighbors were watching us. I don't blame them. But we weren't doing anything wrong.

Old Today, 09:16 AM

39,624 posts, read 38,236,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post

I would not be surprised if nearby neighbors were watching us. I don't blame them. But we weren't doing anything wrong.
I know what you mean ... Kind of like how people who eat grapes out of the package at the grocery store aren't doing anything wrong or those who run across the street real quick in the middle of the block aren't really hurting anyone.

I get that in your minds you weren't doing anything wrong and you had no harm in mind, but according to the law, you were trespassing, and if the homeowner had wanted to press charges s/he could have.

A for-sale sign is a notification, not an invitation.

Old Today, 10:00 AM

349 posts, read 72,510 times
Quote:
I’ve been doing this a lot longer than you have, and if you want to continue here you will need to learn the difference between “picking fights” and calling out BS.
"If I want to continue here...."
Excuse me?? You didn't just say that??!! LOL!!
Listen whoever you are....the self appointed king of the forum...you are a member here just as I am
You don't place conditions upon whether I remain. There are forum rules to follow
Most forums don't allow a member to discourage or tell another one to leave by placing un-heard of conditions
IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE HERE is a sentence you have no right to even start
Stop with the haughty attitude

Now again, with all due respect, which as we see is very little of, again stop picking fights/harping on other members here

Last edited by BumbleBeeHunter; Today at 10:27 AM..

Old Today, 10:16 AM

1,539 posts, read 596,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Part of the point of placing a for sale sign in the yard of a vacant house - is to let lookers know the vacant house is for sale. Most serious lookers driving in an area would feel reasonably free to at least stop and look at the outside of the property, before deciding to contact the listing realtor ... or their own. There is nothing that automatically requires all 'lookers' to be accompanied by a realtor.

Even though you may feel a little disconcerted or concerned, this is an inherent problem with simply posting a sign in the yard of an obviously vacant property.
Since it's the middle of the day and their car is parked in front of the house and they are not doing anything suspicious (except, perhaps, opening a shed), the notion that "they don't look like potential buyers" is hardly a reason to contact the police or otherwise overreact.

If anything, you might step out and ask them what they are doing or if they have contacted the realtor. Otherwise, you might express your concern to the realtor or give them a quick call and ask if they are aware there have been drive-by lookers at the property. (Does the sign already say, "shown by appointment only?" - If not, you might ask the realtor about adding that).
No..a sign lets them know its for sale, and who to call if they want to see it. Plus, the potential buyers can go online to see pics.
I just bought a house, and sign is still in yard. I certainly do not want peoplevwalking around house looking in windows. It normally takes a few days to get sign removed especially over a holiday weekend.

Old Today, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Realtors don't care about anything unless it is someone making an offer on the house. You called the police, call them again if you see this and talk to the chief of police about it or whoever is in charge for the night watch.
Your first line is not correct.
I'm a realtor, and i go check houses that are vacant after showings to make sure they are secure. I go wrap the outside pipes and open under sink cabinets during cold weather. I look after my listings as if they were my own.

Old Today, 10:24 AM

16,120 posts, read 8,951,307 times
Quote:
I know what you mean ... Kind of like how people who eat grapes out of the package at the grocery store aren't doing anything wrong or those who run across the street real quick in the middle of the block aren't really hurting anyone.

I get that in your minds you weren't doing anything wrong and you had no harm in mind, but according to the law, you were trespassing, and if the homeowner had wanted to press charges s/he could have.

A for-sale sign is a notification, not an invitation.
We all clearly have different perspectives on this matter, but I'm with you. I've looked at many properties over my lifetime, and when I was on my own, I stuck to simple drive-bys to narrow down which houses I wanted to tour. From the street, I could quickly and easily rule out those with issues like road noise, problematic views, and inaccessibility, which made the most of my limited time with my agent. Interior photos of most every house on the market are available on major real estate websites, and they're viewable on most any smartphone, so there's little reason to invade a residents' privacy by walking around a property unaccompanied. There's time enough for that to happen during an official showing.

Old Today, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Isn't the purpose of the sign in the yard to get people to look?

If I was just looking (not trying to enter or any such) and someone called the cops, that property would be right out.
I don't need nutty neighbors.
No...the purpose of the sign is to let you know its for sale, and who to call if you want to see it.
Its not an invitation to trespass.

Old Today, 10:36 AM

16,225 posts, read 20,278,945 times
This thread has been flagged by several posters on several different posts. I'll let the mod who oversees the real estate forum decide about this.

Closed for moderator review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or