U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 09:46 PM

188 posts, read 42,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You can have any opinion you want. The problem is when you actively try to prevent people from moving in.
Can I stand out in my front yard in my underwear, drinking from a whiskey bottle and staring them down? Because that's what I do everyday anyway, LOL.

A house full of uncontrolled kids would be my trigger, our houses are only twenty feet or so apart in my neighborhood. That or older delinquents, it would suck to have to nail your stuff down. My next door neighbor has about the oldest and most run-down house in the neighborhood, and I'm rolling my eyes as I think about who's going to end up buying it. I'm hoping it will be a builder who will either knock it down and start over, a rehabber who will take six months to make it look like new before flipping it, or a crabby old couple, I'm an almost "invisible" neighbor at this point, except that I clear sidewalk snow and occasionally rake leaves for my closest neighbors. Other than my crappy landscaping, I'd take me as a neighbor every time.

To be honest, if I ever move to another urban environment, I plan on knocking on some of the prospective neighbors' doors with a small gift of some kind and soliciting their opinion of the neighborhood before making an offer, or at least driving by every day for a week or so. I want to know what I'm buying into before plunking down real money. And if whoever answers the door starts laughing maniacally, they're not getting the gift, so there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 08:48 AM

13,536 posts, read 14,552,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
We did a version of this when we (now-husband and I) were renters.
We had the upstairs apartment. The landlord was showing the downstairs apt. to a young, uptight pair of religious bores (Jeebus fish on the car; the whole nine yards.)

While landlord was in his truck fishing out some paperwork, we came downstairs to "let them know" that we had not one, but *two* pianos, were involved in community theatre (real sin-stuff to these folks) and that we rehearsed singers late into the night. The young pair did not take kindly to our heathenosity and "decided" not to take the apartment.

The landlord, who we actually liked, wondered what the deal was. We gave him the scoop on the holy-rollers. He seemed bemused, but wasn't mad at us for scaring them off.
The apartment was rented soon after by normal heathens.
What's a "Jeebus"?

Old 11-25-2018, 09:47 AM

794 posts, read 695,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Really? Because the last time I checked anyone with a pulse can lease or get a loan for almost any vehicle they want. I don't doubt that many dirvers do have some money stashed away, but seeing someone in almost any kind of vehicle gives no indication to their financial well being.
+1, InchingWest!

A few years back when I was new homeowner I was navigating the unfamiliar streets and happened upon a bank of subsidized housing apartments. The first thing I noticed was that the parking lot was filled with vehicles that were much nicer & much newer than my aged Plymouth Colt Vista Wagon. It looked as though people who either couldn't or wouldn't put their resources into home ownership were instead borrowing as much as they could for new Lexuses and Escalades.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:52 AM

32,306 posts, read 39,594,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
What's a "Jeebus"?
Way some people who hold Christians in disdain pronounce Jesus. File with 'Murica.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 AM

2,224 posts, read 2,933,373 times
I'm gonna ride both sides of the line on this debate.

We tend to drive crappy cars. Not loud, just rusty, slightly dented, over 15 years old and we tend to look like aging hippies, we even have the van, but we are scrupulously neat, law abiding, very independent, self sufficient and are very quiet. Our house is usually one of the most charming in the area in a roses on the fence, sculpture in the woods, kind of way. We give away organic garden grown veggies every summer to neighbors that want them, have no substance issues to report unless chocolate is considered a substance, and we tend to keep to ourselves generally, live and let live, mind our business unless it comes well across our property lines kind of folks. We do have two stupid dogs poking their heads out of the car windows that we keep quiet, and occasionally lose containment of, though we have a good fence (It's still a mystery though we've been watching for weeks.) but we always go looking for them as soon as we see that they are missing. They are indoors 80% of the time and always at night.

So yeah, someone could look at us and go "EEEK! There goes the neighborhood!" and be completely wrong when generally their assumptions could be very spot on given appearances. That said, the nosy intrusive, "Glad to meet ya...we will be new BFFs...we have a pot-luck every Wednesday and prayer meetin's on Sundays...we expect to see you there!" approach would have us racing to get back into the car. A tuba, violin, bagpipes and a chair on the lawn for practice, very bad practice at that, would also go a long way toward a no sale if we were looking.

If you decide to interfere, it better be transparent to the seller or you might have another kind of neighbor problem.

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 11-25-2018 at 11:28 AM..

Old 11-25-2018, 11:19 AM

4,208 posts, read 2,137,209 times
Horrible behavior on your part if you do that.

We had viewers that our nextdoor neighbor said were a gay couple, and she liked them very much after talking with them. She said she hoped they would buy the house*. Unfortunately, when the couple returned for a second viewing (yes, they were serious), a RENTER a couple houses in the other direction said something intended to scare them away. And they didn’t return. I hope that renter gets the favor returned to his sabotaging self. I did call his landlord to discuss the matter. Landlord couldn’t believe the renter did that, so hopefully the incident made him wake up.

* Lest anyone think otherwise, this was a town and neighborhood where gays were accepted and did not need to hide it in the closet.

Last edited by pikabike; 11-25-2018 at 11:32 AM..

Old 11-25-2018, 01:54 PM

16,702 posts, read 17,844,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Really? Because the last time I checked anyone with a pulse can lease or get a loan for almost any vehicle they want. I don't doubt that many dirvers do have some money stashed away, but seeing someone in almost any kind of vehicle gives no indication to their financial well being.

In fact, I'm more likely to assume that someone driving around in a Toyota Camry or a Honda Odyssey has more savings and a nicer house than someone driving around in a Lexus or a Cadillac. Perhaps not always, but in many cases the former is just more frugal/savvy than the later.

Why else would you see so many people driving around in Escalades, Mercedes, and Audis? A lot of those same drivers have little, none, or negative savings and are likely massively in debt. It doesn't help that our government likes to backstop people's stupid decisions (at the expense of middle class savers) via the welfare system.

Why would a motorcycle be any different? Anyone can get a loan and the manufacturers, dealers, and creditors are more than happy to extend credit to the suckers willing to take it so they can drive/ride around in something shiny for awhile. Creditors want people trapped into the perpetual monthly payment cycle. All they have to do is offer something shiny....for awhile at least.
Most would be surprised to know there is a lot of big hat no cattle types. A persons car type/brand/cost is the last thing I look at.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:00 PM

599 posts, read 171,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon432 View Post
I know the saying that 'you don't get to pick your neighbors'.... but here is a question contrary to that...

Say the house next door to you was for sale. You notice one afternoon some very unsavory looking individuals (for whatever reason, insert your favorite bias here) are looking at the house. Knowing full well at that moment that you wont be able to live next door to those people if they decide to purchase, you need to nip it in the bud.

For example, say you knew of a deficiency in the property or the area that might deter a buyer, would you initiate a conversation with the individuals at that moment and warn them of this? Would you make something up in hopes of sabotaging their interest? What other way would you attempt to derail the situation immediately?

Surely someone will say a person has no right to do such a thing and the answer is to move. However, if that is not possible and your comfort, sanity and safety are on the line by these unsavories, what would you do?

Well, I don't break the law, so no, I would not engage in tortious interference with contract.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:02 PM

16,139 posts, read 8,957,162 times
Goodness, I've never known who submitted the winning offer on any of my neighbors' properties that were up for sale until move-in day. Even so, I can't imagine doing such a thing.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-25-2018 at 02:15 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 06:46 PM

246 posts, read 84,021 times
oregon said: "This is where an HOA can be good. It keeps out the purple house painters, the pig farmers, and the car repair in the front yard business."

To which I say "hahahahaha" having owned in 3 HOA's and never again. HOA's cannot prohibit sex offenders from renting or owning, or people who play loud music, have barky night/day dog(s), etc. However I did read of an HOA that put in their articles that lawyers may not buy in. Of course that went to court lol and the HOA won because being a lawyer is not a protected status. The reason was the HOA had bad experiences with lawyer/owners filing frivolous lawsuits about stupid things so they decided to shut them out of ownership.

Home next to us 16' away is for sale so it's a concern but not enough for us to scare anyone away. Our bedroom is on opposite side from this and garages face each other sideways. Less intrusive on that side. Now on the other side we are hoping our elderly neighbor with heart problems lives on because he has the quietest dog and is always smiling. Finds no fault with our scruffy plants on shared property line (we trim his side too). A bad neighbor on his side would be very bad.

About 30 years ago we heard someone in our small town bought the property next door to them when it came up for sale. For guaranteed peace and quiet. We were impressed cuz it was not cheap to do. Then they added an addition (I think tore the property down). Rich people, haha.

Can a neighbor legally warn a "protected class" buyer (race, religion, sex orientation, etc) away? Hard to prove but unethical. People in any protected class are well aware they may not be welcome so they will likely not take the warning seriously.

edit to add: after my grandparents death I found a copy of their deed on a modest property they lived in 50 years. Deed said property could not be sold to colored people and pigs could not be raised there. This was not in the Deep South at all and they did not write the deed restrictions, they were in already. Not an HOA, one step up from a country unpaved road.

Last edited by twinkletwinkle22; 11-25-2018 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate