Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 09:23 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's amazing how much you can tell about people from a fish magnet on their car.
I was thinking the very same thing. I guess them non “Jeebus” lovers are pretty judgmental types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 12:31 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Well, I don't break the law, so no, I would not engage in tortious interference with contract.
Finally a sensible answer for all adults concerned.

Ones 'intent' can usually be deciphered when engaged in conversation. It works both ways.
I absolutely appreciated a tentative neighbor sharing some 'ordinance' and foundation concerns when I was house shopping. Granted the inspection would have found the foundation concern....but the local ordinance that would effect the neighbors and streets made me withdrawal the offer. I felt bad for the fell'r . He sure didn't have money pouring out his ears to pay the 10k upgrade for the sewer line.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:07 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

What gives rude people the right to disturb their neighbors with their hobbies? I am bias against inconsiderate idiots.

What makes how I live so wonderful? I do not disturb my neighbors; more people ought to try it!
Exactly! You can love music without making it so that your next-door neighbor has to hear it too! Such people do NOT have a right to do such things (at least they shouldn't. A lot of cities have noise ordnances since this problem seems to be apparent to a lot of other people except the culprits).

A good rule of thumb is that whatever you are doing should not impact the quality of another person's life, and sorry to break the news to those who aren't aware: playing loud music so that people outside of your house or car can hear it DOES impact the quality of life of quite a few people like me and the poster I've quoted. And I can tell you we're not among a few but a very, very many.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Exactly! You can love music without making it so that your next-door neighbor has to hear it too! Such people do NOT have a right to do such things (at least they shouldn't. A lot of cities have noise ordnances since this problem seems to be apparent to a lot of other people except the culprits).

A good rule of thumb is that whatever you are doing should not impact the quality of another person's life, and sorry to break the news to those who aren't aware: playing loud music so that people outside of your house or car can hear it DOES impact the quality of life of quite a few people like me and the poster I've quoted. And I can tell you we're not among a few but a very, very many.
How is any of this determined by a 30 second glance across a driveway? That is the scenario from the OP.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:53 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Way some people who hold Christians in disdain pronounce Jesus. File with 'Murica.
How disgusting. Makes them feel cool, on trend and superior I guess? "'Murica" is so cringe-y.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:13 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How is any of this determined by a 30 second glance across a driveway? That is the scenario from the OP.
Good point though that is exactly what we did, could definitely be wrong. Law abiding, high credit score, responsible citizen me also, like an above poster, drives old cars as I always pay cash and keep them forever, am frugal and was taught to not put money into things that depreciate. I've always had the crappiest cars on my street; drove a Toyota Tercel back when I lived in gated communities in Palm Beach.

However.

Erring on the side of perhaps this person who looks like a bum really IS a bum not an genius eccentric MIT professor or surgeon (knew one of these, looked like a dimwitted fat slob but was scary brilliant) who is too brilliant to care about convention is safer. Stereotypes are often true.

I've actually also discouraged BUYERS OF MY HOUSE when I didn't like them; one lady who brought her Father (who was bankrolling the purchase, they were crass enough to say upfront as they walked in) and wee, maybe 6y/o? son who she tried to let run amok in my house; he started to sit on the furniture (NO manners, obviously) I said "stay with Mother" and asked her to hold his hand and keep him by her while I showed her the place (sold my last 4 places by owner so I was showing); she said "oh HE'S FINE" I said no, small children need to STAY with their Mother when in a stranger's home.

When taking mine to anyone's home they kept hold of my hand(s) while there, common courtesy and sense.

She was also loud, and very obviously low intellect. Father asked ridiculous and inexplicable (why did he care?) qs regarding a supply of formula (for my daughter with Crohn's who was tube fed at times) stored in the basement; just low class folks all around.

I would not have sold to them, though they didn't end up offering to buy. I felt for my soon to be former neighbors and tried to sell to decent folk and always did in the end.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:28 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Well, I don't break the law, so no, I would not engage in tortious interference with contract.
This. What OP is describing is fodder for a civil lawsuit. Don't go there. It's not funny or a lifehack. It's illegal.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:46 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Years ago, the house across the street sold. I was concerned when I saw the new owner in the yard. His head was shaved, he had on a wife beater with tattoos from shoulder to wrist on both arms, shorts on with white socks and heavy work boots with more tattoos on his calves. Great, our new neighbor was a skinhead.

He came and went and definitely wasn’t a 9-to-5’er. He drove a black SUV and DH one day said he thought he might be a fed, he could make out a light bar under the grill and saw those in the city. Yeah, sure. DH assessment turned out to be correct. One morning after he returned home, we saw him in his back yard wearing a bright orange jump suit and when he turned around we saw the huge FBI letters on the back. He was working undercover with gangs at the time.

I’m glad I’m not the type of person who would have tried to sabotage someone from moving in, we would have missed the best neighbor we ever had. I could tell amazing stories about him, but will just say I feel privileged to have known him. He was a good neighbor who looked out for us and we did the same for him. We miss him now that we have moved, there will never be another neighbor like him.

Last edited by jean_ji; 11-26-2018 at 07:22 AM..

Old 11-26-2018, 08:26 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Not talking about that. Sorry, that's a different issue. It's probably just the impression he got which could be right or wrong. Definitely does not justify sabotaging the house-buying process. You unfortunately do not pick your neighbors, so if it's that huge of a problem, it's probably best for these people to live where you don't have your neighbor 12 feet across from you (probably a hyperbole, though I'm sure there's neighborhoods like that).

That's what I did. We don't live in total isolation, but there's a good deal of space between the neighbors. The closest one is maybe 1/10th of a mile away, probably a little bit more than that. The "problem" neighbor for me is maybe about 2/10ths of a mile. They like to play their music loud from time to time and man is it f---g irritating! But at least they're not right on top of me. I don't think you can ever guarantee to get away from people like that forever, but at least if you're in a rural or rural-ish area, the homes are more spaced out from each other.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:53 AM

4,897 posts, read 2,052,348 times
Quote:
The OP mentioned bias. Harley riders and music lovers don't have a right to live in a neighborhood? What makes how YOU live so wonderful?
Apparently, you have never lived next to a Harley owner!! I gaurantee if you did, you would change your tune!! Nothing like being awaken everyday at 4:30am by the thunderous rumbling as he guns the engine before roaring out of his driveway!!

Thank God for my then HOA, who basically was hitting him with daily noise violations due to the four blocks of homes making the same complaint everyday till they took action, which caused him to ditch the bike till he was able to move out.

Through my own observations, most people wanting to live in a neighborhood, managed with a strong HOA, are people who want to live with like-minded people and are totally fine with commonsense rules relating to quality of life issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate