Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:04 PM

42,841 posts, read 26,253,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I would be mad at myself for having bought a home in a community populated and run by a bunch of lying thieves. From my extensive experience, they didn't do anything that homeowners involved in other HOAs don't do regularly.
Agreed! We lived in an HOA for 14 years, it was horrible. They had HOA nazis drive around in their cars with cameras taking pictures of 'violations', once we got a $150 fine for allegedly drying clothes in our front yard. What they thought was laundry was a canvas tarp draped over our porch railing while we were painting the eaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 04:06 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,177 times
Whatever state you are in search online by that state and hoa laws...something like that. They vary by state. NC has the Planned Community Act, VA has the POA (Property Owner Assoc) Act, SC has the HOA Act etc. Others have laws among their statutes.

Then there is corporation law.

Then there is the sometimes stated, sometimes found out thing about whether your state actually wants to deal with hoa issues. And that may end any point in bringing a lawsuit.

A couple of friends in one state told me when they went to court the lawyer for the other side stated that the state supreme court had had an issue along those lines with other cases and decided hoas were not something the state should deal with. That lawyer's idea was then if the state supreme court didn't feel it should be dealt with, then why should the local court (given the risk to the supreme court that such a case could work it's way back up.)

That gave that local judge an out. So he was no help.

I wonder why that supreme court judge felt it shouldn't be dealt with. People in hoas pay all the same taxes as anyone else plus they pay for the hoa pool, tennis, whatever. But there is the idea that hoas are happy little places that take care of their own issues. Even when the hoa is not a gated community. I know a couple of people who called for law enforcement help and were told don't you have someone there to take care of that? They never did. And another one was told in response to a drunken crowd of non residents who wandered in for a party and started a bonfire on an empty lot that if the resident wanted a law officer to chase these people off, that resident would have to accompany that officer. She was middle aged and didn't want to do that. (I also have been told that other officers will help hoa residents.)

It looks like some board members take advantage of this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate