U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:40 PM

10,351 posts, read 6,657,696 times

Advertisements

Invest in yourself and in buying a home and having a roof over your head.

Invest in the market or other investments afterwards knowing that this can also be a gamble.

You have to live someplace. It's better to buy a starter home than pay the same amount in rent. Either way you will have the same amount of money for investments, but your home is an investment in your own housing and it's an asset. Renting is a debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 04:39 PM

65,470 posts, read 66,912,679 times
no one knows the outcomes of anything we do. for some of us we did far better renting and investing elsewhere .

we can buy multiple homes today based on the differences between how we did renting and investing vs how our house did that we had sold many years ago , even after subtracting out all the rent and taxes

so generalizations really don't apply . all our outcomes will differ assuming we have choices . most renters have no choice .

Old Today, 08:15 AM

8,675 posts, read 4,855,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD18 View Post
Hello Everyone,

My Fiancé and I are looking to move out of our parents house and finding our own place. We have enough money saved up to purchase a home (down payment and reserve money) and were set on buying. However my parents as well as my uncles have told me to wait until the crash and that we're still at the top of the market. I always grew up being told never to rent because we will be paying someone else mortgage and not our own. So my question to you is what would you do? we do not want to move into each others parents house and no longer want to live separate. So rent or buy?

Northern California

Do you see a crash coming? if so when?

That's a risky move. While prices may be lower after a crash inventory may be very scarce. We made that same gamble, and discovered that banks would rather sit on their inventory than let it go at a loss. Spoiler alert: years later, we're still renting. Yes, rent continues to rise... but local property taxes continue to skyrocket, so at this point we can "throw our money away" on rent... or throw it away on taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or