U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2018, 06:12 PM
 
695 posts, read 194,109 times
Reputation: 1068

Advertisements

I live in a large condominium building. Like homeowners' associations generally, it has a board of directors. The board sets rules for the building. I understand, based on first-hand evidence:

1. One director runs a brothel in her condominium. She lets prostitutes use one of her bedrooms, which is semi-separate from the main part of her condominium, for paid activities.

At the last annual meeting, this person was voted onto the board; the board members own enough condominiums in the building that they have been able to control the outcomes of recent elections (since they gather blank proxies from enough owners and use those proxies to vote for the board members' choices).

2. The board president goes off on diatribes against individual owners who are not at meetings, attacking them during board and annual owners' meetings, and using the F word and other profanity when describing them.

If you owned a condominium in the building, what would you think about this?

The condominium association is a corporation under my state's laws, and like boards of directors generally, the board is subject to "fiduciary duties" to condominium owners. Those duties include running the building in the best interests of the condominium owners generally and applying rules consistently to owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2018, 11:52 PM
 
1,557 posts, read 612,297 times
Reputation: 3051
So. Prove they violated either the bylaws of the corporation and sue them, prove they’ve violated the law, or move.

Your option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2018, 04:37 AM
 
695 posts, read 194,109 times
Reputation: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
So. Prove they violated either the bylaws of the corporation and sue them, prove theyíve violated the law, or move.

Your option.
I can certainly do those things.

Iím curious what others think about the boardís behavior: would people be bothered by it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2018, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Florida -
8,381 posts, read 10,169,219 times
Reputation: 15548
Condo HOA board positions are voted in and can be voted out at any time by the owners. Like you, I would certainly find the bizarre behavior of these individuals unacceptable. But, also like you, I am only one vote. If you wish to vote these two off your HOA Board, you will need to influence enough owners to vote them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2018, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Portland OR / Honolulu HI
640 posts, read 696,804 times
Reputation: 1388
Obviously no one would like that situation. But your choices are limited. If it were me, I would move. But if you want to fight, I’d suggest you do the following: Talk to other residents and build support/commitments from a majority of the unit owners to force action on the illegal activity in one unit and removal of board members who are in violation of association by-laws.

Then pay an attorney to draft a letter to the board demanding action on these items. Have the attorney send the letter directly to the board President.

You will find that people change their behaviors quickly and you initiate much more response when someone receives a letter from an attorney than you will get by simply raising your hand at a meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2018, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Kansas City North
3,659 posts, read 6,858,560 times
Reputation: 4723
As long as the HOA finances are sound, and maintenance is being taken care of, Iím not sure Iíd get all upset at the situation. If it continues to bother you, Iíd see about contacting those absentee owners and get them on YOUR side. Just be prepared to take a position on the board.

How do you know thereís prostitution going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2018, 11:59 AM
 
9,614 posts, read 7,523,728 times
Reputation: 23536
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I can certainly do those things.

Iím curious what others think about the boardís behavior: would people be bothered by it?
It bothers you. The feelings of internet strangers aren't important. Are you looking for validation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2018, 12:21 PM
 
2,465 posts, read 2,166,952 times
Reputation: 2730
If you have hard evidence there is a prostitution ring being run in your building, then provide the evidence to the police and the rest will likely take care of itself.

You are presenting some kinda hard to believe allegations as factual; If it is factual, it should be quite easy to have these person(s) removed from the HOA board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2018, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
8,346 posts, read 7,618,659 times
Reputation: 17597
Is prostitution legal in your state? If not call the cops.

Is your building zoned for commercial and residential use? Turn them into the zoning board.

Knowing what I know about HOAs, I find it hard to believe they allow a business of any kind being run on premises.

Does the HOA allow for short term rentals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2018, 01:12 PM
 
33,963 posts, read 12,969,086 times
Reputation: 21535
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I live in a large condominium building. Like homeowners' associations generally, it has a board of directors. The board sets rules for the building. I understand, based on first-hand evidence:

1. One director runs a brothel in her condominium. She lets prostitutes use one of her bedrooms, which is semi-separate from the main part of her condominium, for paid activities.

At the last annual meeting, this person was voted onto the board; the board members own enough condominiums in the building that they have been able to control the outcomes of recent elections (since they gather blank proxies from enough owners and use those proxies to vote for the board members' choices).

2. The board president goes off on diatribes against individual owners who are not at meetings, attacking them during board and annual owners' meetings, and using the F word and other profanity when describing them.

If you owned a condominium in the building, what would you think about this?

The condominium association is a corporation under my state's laws, and like boards of directors generally, the board is subject to "fiduciary duties" to condominium owners. Those duties include running the building in the best interests of the condominium owners generally and applying rules consistently to owners.
It think it is outrageous.

HOA boards are known for being nutty operations as they often attract unusual characters. Anyone who has ever lived in an HOA community can attest to that.

It is not unusual to have board members badmouth residents.

But running a brothel out of a back bedroom seems like a matter for the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top