Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 05:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

The last time we saw the Severn family on "Fixer Upper," they were "blown away" by the work Chip and Joanna Gaines did to transform a tired '80s home into a dreamy, modern residence. At the end of the episode, Chip hoped the Severns "would live happily ever after" in the house remodeled on Season 4 of the popular HGTV series.

https://www.foxnews.com/real-estate/...isted-for-499k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 10:04 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
apparently, there are several of the "Fixer Upper" homes that have hit the market. One would expect that over the next several years, even more would be sold.

Certainly, the work they've done is appealing. The market value is only determined when a buyer steps up and wants to be the next owner.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:50 AM

184 posts, read 143,828 times
The median price in Woodway includes a lot of smaller homes. The area where this one is situated is full of bigger homes on larger lots. I think they can get this price easily. Lots of out of state people are moving to the Waco area and snapping up these homes (which locals think are overpriced).

Old 12-11-2018, 06:22 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Just because they put it on the market at a certain price doesn't mean it will sell for that price. As for the baloney from the Gaines' about it being their "forever home", why do they even bother saying things like that? Nobody believes it, anyway.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:29 AM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Just because they put it on the market at a certain price doesn't mean it will sell for that price. As for the baloney from the Gaines' about it being their "forever home", why do they even bother saying things like that? Nobody believes it, anyway.
It’s just a sweet sentiment from a designer who is trying to make a home for a client. Really not uncommon among decorators and architects and any number of other professionals, especially women in those fields.

That was a particularly good renovation of theirs, very handsome and the lot was great. It actually seems well priced given the finishes and square footage, I wouldn’t be surprised if they got close to asking.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:38 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
A lot of the fixer upper homes just end up sitting on the market. I understand that Woodway is the affluent area of Waco, but no offense, Waco has a ways to go before I'd spend that much.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
A lot of the fixer upper homes just end up sitting on the market. I understand that Woodway is the affluent area of Waco, but no offense, Waco has a ways to go before I'd spend that much.
Wow, I'm amazed that an "affluent area" would have such cheap homes. Here that one would be over a million in an average area, even without the notoriety of being on Fixer Upper. Is that price higher than you would expect for a home not redone by them?

I'd like to see how many people on HGTV and DIY networks end up selling in a short time, I'd bet it's many if not most, including Property Brothers, House Hunters, and House Hunters Renovation.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:19 PM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
Hemlock, it’s common to Airbnb those renovated homes as well. People often sleuth out which homes were renovated and they can become a tourist draw. Waco just happens to have a whole swath of them concentrated’

Old 12-11-2018, 04:15 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I understand that Woodway is the affluent area of Waco
No.
Woodway (aka, Whiteway) is a separate municipality created to avoid the trash of Waco.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:18 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Wow, I'm amazed that an "affluent area" would have such cheap homes. Here that one would be over a million in an average area, even without the notoriety of being on Fixer Upper. Is that price higher than you would expect for a home not redone by them?

I'd like to see how many people on HGTV and DIY networks end up selling in a short time, I'd bet it's many if not most, including Property Brothers, House Hunters, and House Hunters Renovation.
Hemlock it’s all relative. You live in the Pacific Northwest. These homes are in Texas, and not one of the popular cities at that. Down here 499k isn’t “cheap” especially when you factor in property taxes. And prices won’t stay low since there’s a gazillion transplants arriving every day.

My neighborhood can be considered affluent, our home is 3700 sq ft on a half acre lot. It’s value is probably in the 500s. Inexpensive for someone in California but not for others. We’re still a low col state. Even then our lot is typical suburban no view. Views are more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate