Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:25 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

to remove that house ,which is what the village demanded was estimated at 70- 100k .luckily they did have title insurance which paid for the removal from what was a survey error just surfacing now . .
Let me ask something (trying to just get better educated here)
How did he get title insurance in the first place?
Did the title company just miss the erroneous survey in which case they were liable and so paid.
We currently have an issue here where two sales were lost because the specific title company would NOT issue because of known liens and what they determined were 'too vague' waivers, even with an estimated escrowed amount.
Another company IS issuing for all other issues but excepting the lien from coverage.At the point, it's up to the buyer to decide whether or not to proceed,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 12:39 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If you didn't have to carry insurance on your car, would you still do so?
I'd drop it in a heartbeat. But I'm in Michigan. We have the highest car insurance rates in the nation.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:49 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
The OP needs to determine whether title insurance is even an option. I've never known of someone obtaining title insurance after they owned the house, but I suppose it's possible if the title company would agree to an insurable value. I've only inherited a couple of properties and in both cases I knew the title was good so I had no thoughts about even investigating title insurance.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:22 PM

585 posts, read 635,018 times
My buddy and I both bought lots in the same area of the southeast. This area was largely developed on lands that were largely taken by eminent domain from long-time farming families for a large public project several decades ago. Prior to that, it was lands well known to be capital cities (villages) for prominent Native American tribes.

I did not hesitate to buy a $200 title insurance policy. My buddy figured since others had bought/purchased the lot prior to him, any title discrepancies were long-ago cleared up. He opted to save himself $200.

Last week he was notified that the purchaser prior to him was missing a notarized document that was required before my buddy could begin building. In addition, it was discovered that something else was awry from the transaction 3 transactions back prior to his.

He has spent the last couple of weeks stressing over it and trying to find a way out of the problem. If he is unable to do so, he is left with tens of thousands of dollars tied up in a lot upon which he can neither build, nor sell.

Is title insurance worth it? Every. Single. Time. Especially if you like to sleep well at night.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:42 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
The more I ask for statistical data and the more I get back anecdotal examples the more convinced I am that title insurance is a scam, in most cases.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:58 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The more I ask for statistical data and the more I get back anecdotal examples the more convinced I am that title insurance is a scam, in most cases.
I respectfully disagree.

The overall cost vs. benefit is definitely weighted toward having it IMHO. Much cheaper than trying to get problems fixed later. There are too many nightmare stories that I have read even in this forum to make me want to warrant purchasing title insurance for all current and future real estate purchases.

Like any insurance, even if you are not required to carry it you need to ask yourself if you are willing to take the risk. Never assume your decision applies to everybody else.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:45 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Personally, I'd have a title search done by a paid professional. Its a skill and many things can be missed if not done professionally. Not for armatures.

I'd like to know what I inherited.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I respectfully disagree.

The overall cost vs. benefit is definitely weighted toward having it IMHO. Much cheaper than trying to get problems fixed later. There are too many nightmare stories that I have read even in this forum to make me want to warrant purchasing title insurance for all current and future real estate purchases.

Like any insurance, even if you are not required to carry it you need to ask yourself if you are willing to take the risk. Never assume your decision applies to everybody else.

I don't see how you can weight it one way or the other when you apparently can't provide any data either.

And your last sentence is precisely what I would say to you and others saying you should always get it. Every. Single. Time.

How many of you have sinkhole insurance? I mean, if you can't live with even a remote risk when so much is at stake, then surely you do.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:34 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I don't see how you can weight it one way or the other when you apparently can't provide any data either.
I am only offering my opinion, both as a previous home buyer twice and as a former realtor. I don't have a statistical reason to offer to anybody. The horror stories I have read and disused with other realtors is evidence enough for me.

I don't recall seeing your data either.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I am only offering my opinion, both as a previous home buyer twice and as a former realtor. I don't have a statistical reason to offer to anybody. The horror stories I have read and disused with other realtors is evidence enough for me.

I don't recall seeing your data either.
I am the one asking for data from those who recommend it. I would have thought the real estate professionals here would have known that right off the bat, but either they are as ignorant as the general public on it or for some reason they don't want to reveal the data.

At least you have confirmed that your viewpoint is based on anecdotal horror stories rather than analysis of the actual risks and data. I haven't advised anyone to get it or not get it.

So do you have sinkhole insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate