Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 02:03 PM

396 posts, read 434,798 times

Advertisements

Hello! I own my home, no mortgage. I am interested in purchasing a larger home in the near future. I have recently seen a foreclosure (rare to see in my neighborhood) that I am considering putting in an offer for. Due to the condition of the home, bank is only accepting cash offers or reno loans. I have not listed my own home, as of yet, but am fairly confident it will sell quickly, as is the case for most homes here (multiple offers, bidding wars, no contingencies, etc). But, not sure how I would finance the foreclosed home before selling my current home. I know a bit about bridge loans, but would that be a good option? I would like to renovate the foreclosed home, while living in current home for a couple of months. I would not put my own home on the market, until I closed on new home. I anticipate my current home would sell for 150-200k more than the offer price I would be offering on foreclosed home, but I would need funding for massive renovations. Basically, how do I get a short term loan (under 6 mos) to finance new home and what costs are involved in doing so? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 02:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
not sure how I would finance the foreclosed home before selling my current home.
If the new property is not MOVE IN ready then don't sell what you have to buy it.

Quote:
I know a bit about bridge loans, but would that be a good option?
Close to.
Well, unless you have a spare $200K or so laying around... do you?

Quote:
I would like to renovate the foreclosed home...
how do I get a short term loan (under 6 mos) to finance new home
By being credit worthy.

Quote:
...and what costs are involved in doing so?
They'll vary.The higher the loan RATE the fewer hoops to go through.
The fly in the ointment is just how much TIME and just how much MONEY will be needed
to complete the project to inspections and codes and CO etc... and how far into the project you'll
need to be before you can really answer any of these questions.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:33 PM

MrRational- thanks for the info, but what do you mean when you say "if the new property is not MOVE IN ready then don't sell what you have to buy it"? Also, "unless you have a spare 200K or so laying around"? I live in the NYC area and finding a home can take A LONG TIME. Decent homes under a million do not come on the market often and almost always need work. Homes for 700-800k, often need huge renovations. My current home was not move in ready when I purchased, either. I have excellent credit and no outstanding loans. . I have savings, but not enough to cover the cost of the new home without selling my current home. Selling my current home first is not an option, as I may not find another home for quite some time (foreclosed home will be long gone). I am sure this foreclosed home has multiple offers as of now, so probably not even going to happen, but am considering putting in the offer anyway. Being a seller where I live is amazing, as most homes will get offers within a day, but buying......it ain't easy.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:29 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
you need to talk to a mortgage lender. is this some "all of a sudden today" deal, or you're behind on getting your ducks in a row?

For ANYONE - if you own a home and are thinking of moving, unless you have the cash to buy the next home right now, then you need to speak with a highly-qualified lender (Rocket Mortgage/Quicken etc does not count) to figure out a plan.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:39 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,249,505 times
A heloc might work. Agree, you need to talk to your bank.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:01 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
Yes a home equity line of credit may work. Or a refi of the current house. Just make sure there is not a prepayment penalty.

On the foreclosure, get a roofer, electrician, hyacinth and plumber to inspect the house with you during the inspection period.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the responses! Yes, going to meet with a banker, but wanted to go in a bit informed. BoBromhal, yes, it is an "all of a sudden today" deal, as I was considering a move to a bigger home, but had not lined everything up. Then, this house popped up, which is a rarity where I live. Houses in this particular price range pop up only a few times a year and the fact that it is a foreclosure is even rarer. If it was not a foreclosure, would be gone in a nanosecond, but people tend to steer away from foreclosures. Not to say, there aren't other offers. But, it is cash only deal... And I do not agree, MrRational, that one should not purchase a home unless they have that cash in the bank.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
And I do not agree, MrRational, that one should not purchase a home unless they have that cash in the bank.
I didn't say that. That's why they have mortgages.

If you don't have the CASH ON HAND needed to buy it outright (let alone the bundle needed to fix it all)
then you'll have no choice but to borrow it from someone. There are lenders who specialize in this sort of
(fix and flip) situation. If you can SIGN for the cash on your own credit worthiness (with liens or not) maybe...

But when you're talking about a property that those already in possession of, and especially
in a hot and probably high price market, are unwilling to fix up -even to just the habitability level--
well, you're no longer in the owner occupied RE market. You're entering the land of speculation.
Be very careful.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:47 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
My position/point would be - if you've been considering moving up, then you should have very early on figured out a plan with a lender, unless you had a huge wad of cash. In theory, what you were thinking about moving up to was more expensive than this house will be, even after remodel/repairs.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:09 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,651,329 times
I've seen some bank foreclosure sales take a year or more after they list it for sale. How will you handle that circumstance after you sell your house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate