Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 12:06 AM

32 posts, read 15,316 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!

I live in the Bay Area, work in education, have been a renter all my life and I certainly can’t afford to buy here now but I also wouldn’t want to. For the first time, I actually may very soon have the opportunity to buy but it will be out of state. I love Oregon and I love North Carolina. I am getting the best pre-qualification amount in North Carolina. I guess where I’m needing advice is, I won’t be able to live in that home just yet. I will rent it out for now. I don’t know if I’m being smart or NOT smart with my money. I want a home to have 1) an investment, 2) a place for my mom to retire, 3) I want to have a home on land where I can eventually have rescue animal, etc. I just know that there is a better quality of life and more of what I’m looking for there. However, if I don’t live in it now, I will have to manage it from across the county and so I just don’t know if I’m being foolish. I don’t want to miss my opportunity to buy a home. I’m almost 40 and I have not been able to buy until this point in my life and I just want to make sure I’m being smart.

Thank you for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 05:49 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC2018 View Post
...may very soon have the opportunity to buy but it will be out of state.
Even if that property were to come to you with ZERO cost... No.
Sell it. Stash the cash in something safe and move on unencumbered.

When you're prepared to LEAVE your job and town then consider where to go.
And when you get there plan to RENT for the first year or two.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:17 AM

Thanks, Mr. Rational-

I guess my biggest concern is not having a real estate investment. I feel like Asheville would be an excellent place to buy an investment home. And I do love it there. I also have four dogs and so being a renter isn’t always the most ideal because it isn’t that easy to just find a new rental. Also, if I stay in this area, I have to work my a** off just to pay our astronomical rents and so it seems like a move is inevitable and I don’t want to have to try to find yet another rental and convince yet another landlord that I’m an incredibly responsible dog mom/tenant.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:36 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,317,667 times
Quote:
Hi, everyone!

I live in the Bay Area, work in education, have been a renter all my life and I certainly can’t afford to buy here now but I also wouldn’t want to. For the first time, I actually may very soon have the opportunity to buy but it will be out of state. I love Oregon and I love North Carolina . I am getting the best pre-qualification amount in North Carolina Can you clarify what this means? Do you mean "more home for the money?". I guess where I’m needing advice is, I won’t be able to live in that home just yet. I will rent it out for now. I don’t know if I’m being smart or NOT smart with my money. I want a home to have 1) an investment, 2) a place for my mom to retire, 3) I want to have a home on land where I can eventually have rescue animal, etc. I just know that there is a better quality of life and more of what I’m looking for there. However, if I don’t live in it now, I will have to manage it from across the county and so I just don’t know if I’m being foolish. I don’t want to miss my opportunity to buy a home. I’m almost 40 and I have not been able to buy until this point in my life and I just want to make sure I’m being smart.

Thank you for any advice!
If it were me I'd buy a Second Home in Oregon where I and my mom occasionally stay, but is also used occasionally as a rental.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:23 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
I feel like Asheville would be an excellent place to buy
Not so much. Really.Here's one thread to check out:
Last straw, back broken. Any Ashevillians looking to relocate?
There are others.

Quote:
...and so it seems like a move is inevitable
That's ten steps away after the decision is made.
But whenever you DO get to wherever a move might take you... plan to RENT for a while.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:32 PM

Thank you both for your excellent advice! I will definitely be taking it into consideration! I do love the freedom of renting. The thing is that I have been working more and more jobs such as being an adjunct instructor that aren’t always loved by lenders and so I don’t want to totally take myself out of contention to be able to buy if I continue to work these “non traditional” jobs.

Thank you again!

Old 12-21-2018, 03:35 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
OP: I think it's a great idea to buy out-of-state and have a renter . . . IF you can take time off to go look at your investment and set up a plan for maintenance and rental assistance when you need it (I wouldn't hire someone to manage it all of the time - just when you need help). You will need to have a few handymen on call to deal with whatever comes up.

Don't let people scare you from fulfilling your dream of being a home-owner. I think it's a great plan. Just make sure to do plenty of research (on the neighborhoods, the geography (liquefaction zones, earthquake zones, flood zones, etc.).

Make sure that the house has "good bones" and is in good shape off the bat.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:22 PM

Thanks, Nobodysbusiness!

I’m getting pre-qualified in CA, OR and NC so I will see what the options are. Buying across the country has always been daunting to me. I can be in Oregon in 90 min on a plane and so that to me seems more doable to have a place that I can actually use or rent out :-) Or I could choose to save my money also but I will do what calls to me most :-) I’m trying to be really smart and not impulsive! Thank you for your input!!!

Old 12-21-2018, 08:14 PM

10,342 posts, read 8,554,998 times
Here's my 2 cents which is probably what it's worth. I would hold off buying a place that you plan to move to unless you got such a screaming deal you can't loose no matter what happens.
I lived in the Bay Area all my life and know what you feel. That said I have been a real estate investor for over 35 years. I own over 22 properties out of state and have moved myself across the country to a place I've never lived before all by myself where I knew no one.
I will tell you this, owning property can be lucrative or can ruin you. Based on what you have said I think you might be heading towards the bad side.
So IMHO don't buy, you don't know enough about landlording and real estate yet.
If you plan to live there down the road-don't buy. When I moved from Ca to Atlanta I was going to buy a house to live in for cash. In the end I rented for 2 years. In those 2 years I can't believe how much my original vision changed. I thought I'd live in one area, but then decided to rent in another area. In that time I really learned about myself and also the area. I learned about neighborhoods, shopping areas, traffic patterns, etc. The third year I bought a house and am really happy with my decision but looking back if I had bought without renting I can see where things might not have worked out as well.
I am in the best financial shape inmy life and very happy with my choices, but looking back I can see where buying before renting would have been a big mistake.

A couple of other things-does you lender know you are buying the house non owner occupied, that it is an income property? If not and you rent it they have the ability to call the loan and you would be guilty of mortgage fraud. If you are buying it as a rental then the loan conditions will not be as good as owner occupied, higher rate and down payment. They will also question your ability as a landlord with no experience. Then when you decide to live in it you will have higher expenses than if you were owner occupied.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:19 PM

Thank you, aslowdodge. I really appreciate advice from someone in the business. I would consider buying a property as a vacation home in the PNW that I rent out occasionally but also use myself and that would be a home that I would buy only for the investment and probably to never live full-time but that may take away from my ability to buy the home I want to live in in the future, so I don’t know....and actually, aslowdodge, since you are seasoned in this and you know a little about my situation, how would you recommend I proceed into the home buying process? Move somewhere and then buy? Buy a pure investment property? I would love to know! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate