U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 10:25 AM

8,432 posts, read 10,231,684 times

Advertisements

You are already dealing with obvious electrical and plumbing issues that were probably allowed by DIY, semi-licensed contractors. Further problems in these areas are likely hidden behind the walls, floor and ceilings. Have you checked your floors with a level?, What about insulation?, were discarded building materials buried in the yard?

Given the demonstrated approach of the 'flipper', there are simply too many serious, unknown variables to risk buying this house, even at a reduced price or with a repair allowance. ??The fact that you are still hesitating to walk away, suggests something else is going on here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 11:31 AM

742 posts, read 167,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
And I feel like the seller's a sleezebag.

Advice? Suggestions ?
Don't ask a realtor. They will say or do anything to make the sale. It is their job.

Talk to your real estate attorney. If you don't have one, which you always should, go get one now. See what he or she has to say. But I wouldn't buy a property from someone I thought was a sleaze with the problems you've described. These are the problems you know about now, but there could be hidden others such as toxic mold you'd find out about after owning the home. You don't know what else the seller knows about that isn't disclosing.

Any time this happens, I know people think this is the end, they will never find something they will like as much. But that isn't true, you just need to keep looking. Because no matter how nice some aspect of it is, you are never going to feel safe with this transaction.

Again, don't talk to a realtor about it, they are on commission so they are going to push you towards making a deal simply to close a sale. They make zero money talking to you and showing you homes, they only get paid at closing.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:54 AM

5,127 posts, read 6,339,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Run. Those are major issues and there are likely more.
This.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:20 PM

3,322 posts, read 1,327,550 times
If he repairs everything we asked for, we'll probably buy the place. We will have it inspected again.

Most of the value is in the land--2.5 acres with spectacular views. The house is an older manufactured home which we may replace with a newer mfg or stick built home in a few years.

I agree about the realtor; this seller flips a lot of houses in this area, and has more to offer our realtor than our single transaction. We've had to push her to stand up for us. If this deal fails, we'll find a new realtor.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:31 PM

8,144 posts, read 3,973,064 times
Quote:
If he repairs everything we asked for, we'll probably buy the place. We will have it inspected again.

Most of the value is in the land--2.5 acres with spectacular views. The house is an older manufactured home which we may replace with a newer mfg or stick built home in a few years.

I agree about the realtor; this seller flips a lot of houses in this area, and has more to offer our realtor than our single transaction. We've had to push her to stand up for us. If this deal fails, we'll find a new realtor.

In that case, I'd decline the repairs and insist on the value of the repairs in price reduction.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:33 PM

2,877 posts, read 2,901,909 times
Just curious given the electrical and plumbing issues -- Were permits pulled for the work? I have a hard time imagining a AC unit rated for 50 AMPs being allowed on a system only rated for 60 AMPs total.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:31 PM

9,353 posts, read 18,189,303 times
Quote:

If you look at it as buying the land with the house as an extra, do you feel good about the deal?

As for if the seller is a sleaze or not, once the transaction is over, they'll be gone. Other than being careful about the contract and assuming anything they did is not to code, just factor that into the deal.

Location and the land are more important than the house, you can't change those without a lot of heavy equipment and even then the modifications that can be done are minimal.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:36 PM

74 posts, read 18,998 times
You should make sure that electrical upgrade for the A/C is permitted by the powers that be. Sounds not. Get on the phone with the city/county building department.

I would make the seller perform the repairs rather than accept a discount based upon his estimate (unless you have an estimate of your own to cross check). For all you know, the seller could be obtaining estimates from unlicensed contractors who will again perform substandard work and not obtain required permits.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:11 PM

3,518 posts, read 1,252,058 times
A manufactured home that you are going to pull out . . . and the value in the land.

I think you have your answer.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:25 PM

16,982 posts, read 18,179,195 times
Quote:
We're under contract for a house that was just flipped.
The appearance is good, fresh paint and new appliances, but our inspector found found several issues.

For instance, they put in a new kitchen sink, but there's something wrong with the pipes and there's no water coming out of the pretty new faucet. There's a brand new air conditioner that pulls 50 amps, but the house only has 60 amp service, so if the a.c. is running, you can't use any other appliance.

Seller originally sent a disclosure statement that hadn't been filled out, saying he'd never been on the property. We insisted, and it turned out he knew quite a bit about the place.

We gave him a list of fixes we want. Time just ran out and he hasn't replied, so I guess he's not making any repairs.

I guess we'll just walk, though we love the property. Our offer was a little over market value because the land is so nice, but that means we probably shouldn't put more money into it.

And I feel like the seller's a sleezebag.

Advice? Suggestions ?
Advice.....run
Suggestion....run faster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or