U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 11:06 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,252,202 times

Advertisements

On the issues... plumbing is easy to access on a manufactured home... the AC unit issue sounds like a "bubba does" installation, and I would ask for a price reduction and hire the fixes done yourself. Neither seem like big issues to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 03:23 PM

3,340 posts, read 1,332,022 times
Update:
Seller is offering $5000 off purchase price to buy as is. He said he'd give us his estimates, but hasn't. I suspect the total will be $7 or 8k, and I'd ask for 10 to make up for the hassles of fixing his booboos.

We're working on getting our own estimates, but nobody is answering their phones this week. Frustrating.

While I said most of the value is in the land, the house will be quite livable when these problems are taken care of. Insurance says it's worth about $30k.
We would plan to live in it for at least a year before doing anything drastic. I already have a list.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:35 PM

98 posts, read 14,215 times
Unless your a first time homebuyer that has no clue about real estate do not by any circumstances purchase a flipped house. 90% of flipped homes are remodeled half as*

Old 01-01-2019, 03:58 PM

19,704 posts, read 12,984,162 times
This purchase had problem written all over it. In our experience, inspectors do not catch everything that is wrong with a house. It sounds as if you are aleady emotionally invested in living in the house. But ask yourself if you really want to saddle yourself with a money pit? Is it really a good investment?

Old 01-01-2019, 04:11 PM

931 posts, read 495,239 times
Your options:

1. don't buy it.
2. lower your bid.
3. cave in and be stuck with the problems.

I don't understand owning a 30k house anyway. That's in bad condition in just about every locality. How old is the house? Most houses over 40 years old are in rough shape and can only get worse year after year.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:20 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,252,202 times
Does it ever seem like no one actually reads the posts?

It's not a money pit, it's not a pit at all... it's an older manufactured home on a nice piece of property.

They intend to live in it for awhile, then eventually replace it.

I'm just not that afraid of the house. Get the best price you can, get as much use out of it as you can... then replace it when that becomes warranted.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:25 PM

32,085 posts, read 56,115,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Does it ever seem like no one actually reads the posts?

Only every day, every thread...

But, true "Experts" don't HAVE to actually "read" to offer firm opinions.

You act as if "facts" actually have a place in discussion.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:25 PM

931 posts, read 495,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Upon further review....
Hold on a second....

A manufactured home with a 60 amp main?
What year of manufacture IS this little loveshack? 1970?

Is it even worth $5000 to begin with?
About two years ago I upgraded the service on a house out in the Maryland boonies that had a 60 amp main, inherited by a young relative of what I was told was an elderly widow who had recently died. The house was built in the late 30's and the electrical panel was not the original (the brand did not exist that far back and likely they had fuses before that), old but in fine condition, and only had 6 (yes, SIX) breaker slots. The home was approximately 1,300 square feet, much of it the living room area.

She did not need more than that. There was a 30 amp two pole breaker for the water heater, a 20 amp line for the igniters for both the gas furnace and the gas oven plus one kitchen appliance outlet, a 20 amp dedicated circuit for the well pump, a 15 amp for the left side of the house (two very small bedrooms and a very outdated bathroom plus the attic light), and a 15 amp for the right side of the house (living room, porch, and kitchen lights).

Old Yesterday, 05:12 AM

32,085 posts, read 56,115,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
About two years ago I upgraded the service on a house out in the Maryland boonies that had a 60 amp main, inherited by a young relative of what I was told was an elderly widow who had recently died. The house was built in the late 30's and the electrical panel was not the original (the brand did not exist that far back and likely they had fuses before that), old but in fine condition, and only had 6 (yes, SIX) breaker slots. The home was approximately 1,300 square feet, much of it the living room area.

She did not need more than that. There was a 30 amp two pole breaker for the water heater, a 20 amp line for the igniters for both the gas furnace and the gas oven plus one kitchen appliance outlet, a 20 amp dedicated circuit for the well pump, a 15 amp for the left side of the house (two very small bedrooms and a very outdated bathroom plus the attic light), and a 15 amp for the right side of the house (living room, porch, and kitchen lights).
Understood.
The point is, a trailer with a 60 amp main is very old. Maybe 40 years or older. Well past its expected service life.

Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM

3,340 posts, read 1,332,022 times
The home is about 30 years old. My mil lived in one that was over 50 years old, and still in great shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or