Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 05:34 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times

Advertisements

We're under contract for a house that was just flipped.
The appearance is good, fresh paint and new appliances, but our inspector found found several issues.

For instance, they put in a new kitchen sink, but there's something wrong with the pipes and there's no water coming out of the pretty new faucet. There's a brand new air conditioner that pulls 50 amps, but the house only has 60 amp service, so if the a.c. is running, you can't use any other appliance.

Seller originally sent a disclosure statement that hadn't been filled out, saying he'd never been on the property. We insisted, and it turned out he knew quite a bit about the place.

We gave him a list of fixes we want. Time just ran out and he hasn't replied, so I guess he's not making any repairs.

I guess we'll just walk, though we love the property. Our offer was a little over market value because the land is so nice, but that means we probably shouldn't put more money into it.

And I feel like the seller's a sleezebag.

Advice? Suggestions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 05:44 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We're under contract for a house that was just flipped.
The appearance is good, fresh paint and new appliances, but our inspector found found several issues.

For instance, they put in a new kitchen sink, but there's something wrong with the pipes and there's no water coming out of the pretty new faucet. There's a brand new air conditioner that pulls 50 amps, but the house only has 60 amp service, so if the a.c. is running, you can't use any other appliance.

Seller originally sent a disclosure statement that hadn't been filled out, saying he'd never been on the property. We insisted, and it turned out he knew quite a bit about the place.

We gave him a list of fixes we want. Time just ran out and he hasn't replied, so I guess he's not making any repairs.

I guess we'll just walk, though we love the property. Our offer was a little over market value because the land is so nice, but that means we probably shouldn't put more money into it.

And I feel like the seller's a sleezebag.

Advice? Suggestions ?
Does he have an agent handling the sale? As it sits, as you've described, it likely won't qualify for a mortgage so he'll have to wait for an all cash buyer who will overlook the issues.

I haven't heard of 60 amp service for decades, any inspector/appraiser will flag that immediately.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:46 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
Figure out how much the fixes are worth, what the house would appraise for, and if you are willing to pay for any shortages between the appraisal and purchase price and if you are willing to pay for the needed fixes.

Discuss all with your agent.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:52 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times
We are that all cash buyer.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:59 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
If the owner had not been on the property then your inspection may have been his first awareness of things that were wrong. He may have been taken for a ride by his contractors and is now fighting with them over the repairs.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:01 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We are that all cash buyer.
Then figure out what you are willing to spend for a property you like.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:06 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
It's probably best to walk because a shady seller can cause much grief down the line.

I truly dislike most flipped houses. Not only are the Home Depot specials on full display but you can't assume any serious work has been done anymore since everyone and their idiot brother seems to be in the game.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:45 PM

213 posts, read 157,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I truly dislike most flipped houses. Not only are the Home Depot specials on full display but you can't assume any serious work has been done anymore since everyone and their idiot brother seems to be in the game.

You already found 2 major issues: no licensed plumber or electrician would've allowed those conditions to occur, so you know the house has been half-assed by Cletus the DIY handyman. I shudder to think what other issues are concealed behind the walls that the flipper (or his 'contractors') tried to conceal.

Run far and fast.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:54 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,054,460 times
Run. Those are major issues and there are likely more.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:52 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,497,373 times
I would never buy a flipped house. I wouldn't trust it. Heck, the one I lived in for 27 years we called "the Kegger" because one extended family owned all the land and built all the houses. We were first to buy outside family and every time my husband went to fix something it was a major PITA to fix because everything was done half-as*ed, and my husband knew how to fix just about everything. We heard that the guys were always drinking when they built that house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate