U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:01 PM
Status: "43 restaurants within 6 blocks of my house" (set 21 days ago)

13,446 posts, read 19,193,916 times

Advertisements

Look at the White House.
Large front yard for machine guns.
The NRA approves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 10:03 PM

8,378 posts, read 7,690,725 times
Here in South Florida, in older neighborhoods, many people put their pool in their front yard.

I know my favorite client just did so in Wilton Manors. Tons of heavy foilage and walls around the front yard.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:58 PM

1,409 posts, read 776,521 times
We have 6 acres in R5A zoned land that was previously zoned for 1 house or dwelling unit in plannerspeak per acre. When it had that denser zones, our house was built about 60’ from the neighbors fence line. There is also a pole building that is sited between our home and the fenc3 so we are snug up against the line with a 20’ buffer. I wouldn’t have built it that way but.... It is also about 30’ from a creek, a no no today.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:27 AM

645 posts, read 150,039 times
Our driveway is a half mile long. I am glad to be a long distance from the road. Some day I will probably move back to the city and I will be looking for a large lot, a double if possible. I have lived in the city but was always fortunate to have a large lot. I've never had a yard that took me less than an hour to mow. I don't want to be close to my neighbors. I don't want to be looking in their windows, I want trees and/or bushes to screen them out.

I would go for a larger front yard than back if I had to choose. I like to Garden, but I don't like eating outside. As I won't entertain outside, and I don't care if people see me gardening, I'd go for the big front yard. I would rather be away from the street and sidewalk. And if at any point the street should be widened, the traffic won't be at my front door.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:26 AM

981 posts, read 1,366,232 times
On big roads a lot of through traffic happens, so you are better off with a big setback. But on dead-end suburban streets it is not really the case.

I want about 0.1 acre of backyard minimum, but 0.2 would be ideal.
That is to fit all stuff that I want, the pool, the large trees, the fruit trees, the 2 patios, the flowerbeds, the veggie garden and lawn. For that I would have to buy a house on a 2+ acre lot, just of this BS? It seems like at any lot size 10-20% is used for backyard.

I like when there is side-yard privacy like house to house gap 30-50ft, that fits trees, instead of most suburbs that have 15ft. Also have a wider street, and have like a 30-40ft front lawn. But after that there is diminishing returns on having a 60ft deep front yard. But the backyard space, every square inch extra is a value.

How about the setback requirement in zoning? Doesn't it depend on the city? I heard Houston has no zoning laws, while California SFBA are crazy about zoning. How about Dallas?

Old 01-05-2019, 06:15 AM

2,070 posts, read 956,071 times
I prefer having a good amount of distance between a house and a busy road. For noise reasons, and also for safety reasons, especially if you have children or pets who might chase a ball onto a road. Better to have a driver who might veer off the road leave a rut in some grass rather than hit your house.

If you want trees in your front yard (which is also a good idea, IMO), a large front yard allows them to be planted far enough away from your structure that the roots won't destroy your house.

I'm not sure a front yard is necessarily more private than a backyard. But if privacy is the issue, you can landscape/fence/wall off a front yard to create a private place.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:15 AM

24,372 posts, read 31,620,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Here in South Florida, in older neighborhoods, many people put their pool in their front yard.

I know my favorite client just did so in Wilton Manors. Tons of heavy foilage and walls around the front yard.
My brother used to live in Wilton Manors. Many years ago....surprised I remembered.
What a time we had in Rosie's one night.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:12 AM

5,923 posts, read 3,694,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This is a good question.

In my mind, it is simply very poor, ill-thought out design.

The majority of the land should be in the back yard, where you can enjoy it in privacy. I think the "reason" for such big front yards has to do with ego and "showing others" that you have a big yard.
There are many perfectly good reasons for having a home set back from the street.

In cases where there is a circular driveway and the owners like to entertain, it is helpful to be able to park a number of cars off the street. It saves on hiring a valet service.

It is also, as some commenters have noted, conducive to both privacy and quiet. My AZ house is closer to the street than I would have liked. It would be nice to not hear the garbage trucks early in the morning. And if my indoor cat managed to escape to the outside, acreage out front would give me some time to find her before she got out into the street.

But every home purchase is a compromise and ours is that our house is on slightly less than one acre.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:21 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,507,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Probably lots of reasons to pick from.

Buried utilities may have needed more cleared space. Using the front means less distance from the arterials in the road ROW. Lower installation costs and easier access for repairs.

Many people prefer being farther from the road. Its quieter. If the road wasn't always paved it could also mean less dust in the home. Also more privacy inside if the windows aren't right next to traffic and pedestrians.

Maybe the architect preferred a larger front yard because that distance sets the home off visually.

Many homeowners like to showcase their home and their gardening skills in the front yard.
Also, what if the road you are on gets widened? Happens a lot in my area, all of a sudden that road that used to be out front is now THAT much closer.....

Of course dead-center would be my choice, but I'd rather have a house "towards the back" as opposed to "towards the front" and closer to the road.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:44 PM

4,123 posts, read 2,049,555 times
in older commonwealths like in new england, there are no setback requirements so houses' front doors open rite up on the sidewalk (particularly in the urban areas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate