U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 04:55 PM

2,272 posts, read 1,071,122 times

Advertisements

It's nice to have the house setback from the road. It makes the house look nicer. It also gives you more parking spaces in your driveway, if that is in the front
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 05:05 PM

5,758 posts, read 3,549,964 times
It's really nice to have a house closer to the road, and therefore a shorter driveway, in areas where it snows a lot. I don't live in such a place, but I have relatives who do, and plowing/shoveling long driveways all winter is not much fun.

My preference is still for the smaller front yard, though, because I feel that it needs to be "kept up" in appearance for the sake of the neighborhood, and a smaller yard has less to keep up. If the backyard is not picture-perfect, nobody cares.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:07 PM

1,409 posts, read 776,521 times
Our home is 600’ from a dead end road. On the winter, the creek drowns out any noise from neighbors, highway traffic, etc. The road eventually leads to private timber lands so our longer driveway plus lots of big trees shields us from log/dump trucks plus garbage/recycling trucks.

If I were the original owner, I would have sited the house about 200’ closer to the road and further away from the property line so it would be more central.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:57 PM

42 posts, read 9,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I really like deep front yards. They put your house farther enough back that your privacy is much better and it's more difficult for package thieves to get your stuff.

Agreed.

I work out of a 2nd floor bedroom office and I have an excellent view of the entire front yard along with a motion camera for when I'm not home. Being 150ft or so off the street means I can easily see anyone coming onto my property - they better have a good reason to be doing so, as it isn't accidental.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:49 PM

7,437 posts, read 2,739,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This is a good question.

In my mind, it is simply very poor, ill-thought out design.

The majority of the land should be in the back yard, where you can enjoy it in privacy. I think the "reason" for such big front yards has to do with ego and "showing others" that you have a big yard.
I don't see it that way. Lots of people want big, huge houses and want to show off how big their house is, so they build into the front yard. Resulting in a tiny front yard. The rise of McMansions was all about ego and bigger is better.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:54 PM

31,593 posts, read 58,061,999 times
If you want a buffer between your house and the street, the space is not wasted.

If you don't want a deep front yard, don't buy a house that has one. Simple as that.

Old Yesterday, 05:37 AM

9,618 posts, read 14,497,886 times
My house was built in 1885. The original garage was built around 1920 and was about 15 feet from the road. Why was that? The owners of cars did not want to shovel a 40 foot driveway.

Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM

2,070 posts, read 956,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
My house was built in 1885. The original garage was built around 1920 and was about 15 feet from the road. Why was that? The owners of cars did not want to shovel a 40 foot driveway.

LOL the older I get the more I appreciate the wisdom of this Not that I would actually put a garage that near the road but boy, it does sound tempting....

Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM

32,647 posts, read 40,076,338 times
The other advantage to a large front yard is that there's room to have more cars up on blocks and store your trash cans, not to mention the fire pit/ring.

Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM

27,186 posts, read 59,064,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Most of them seem to utilize larger lots the same way,
they push the house back away from the street and have little backyard.
Have you confirmed where the property line actually is?
Very often the right of way for future/wider roads and added utilities etc is much of it.

Quote:
The backyard is for that purpose.
That's your opinion man.
Many people LIKE when their day to day public outlook is to look out the front.
Those who prefer to hide from their neighbors are welcome to make other choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate