Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:23 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
You don't put up a pool on your front yard, neither sit down without a shirt there for reading a book, nor you invite 30 guests to hang out on the front of the house. The backyard is for that purpose.

Where we live the homes have large front porches, so it's actually fairly common to see someone out on the porch swing reading. Or hanging out on the front porch sipping a drink and watching the world go by. If you have a large front yard, that become even more inviting. You can sit on the porch and watch the kids play in the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 08:44 AM

213 posts, read 157,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The other advantage to a large front yard is that there's room to have more cars up on blocks and store your trash cans, not to mention the fire pit/ring.

I would recommend moving; your area sounds really trashy. Around here, our larger front yards are well-kept lawns with plentiful trees.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:13 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
In my neighborhood my house was built farther from the street than I would like but it's an older house and yes it gives you a useless huge front yard and a smaller back yard and to make matters worse we have a township line about 15 feet that the town owns since we don't have sidewalks and there is a swale in the front.

what also makes it worse is that it takes longer to mow my front yard than the backyard and I prefer a smaller front yard so it's easier to maintain since that's what everyone sees from the street. In the summer in SW Florida all the rain and sun makes the grass grow like crazy too, you need to mow it every 2 weeks, I try to put it off a little longer, plus it gets so hot that I can only do the front on one day and the back on another usually

Where I grew up in the northeast the lots were small 25 feet by 150 and the old homes were closer to the street and had a large back yard, they build them so close with porches so that you can't even get a permit to make a small driveway to fit one car.
Sorry - I can't resist - EVERY 2 WEEKS you have to mow? Try twice a week in the spring in the midwest!

In my tiny-lotted subdivision the front and back yards are about equal - people entertain in their driveways with a grill they pull out of the garage which seems kinda low class and their dogs are entertained in a fenced off back yard. Go figger.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:37 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-nasty View Post
I would recommend moving; your area sounds really trashy. Around here, our larger front yards are well-kept lawns with plentiful trees.
OK, so you live in a 1% elitist area.

You didn't get what I was saying, mostly due to being new.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:41 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
What I have seen, MOST large lot homes have more front yard and less backyard.
Is this what most home buyers want or what most builders want?
In cities or states where people dont talk to their neighbors much, the front yard is only for show but not for outdoor enjoyment. Then it comes down to show vs outdoor enjoyment.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:54 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
I like being set back from the road, less noise from vehicles and less dust and dirt in the house if I want to have my windows open. The houses we are looking at are set back, but also have nice sized backyards.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:12 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
In cities or states where people dont talk to their neighbors much,
the front yard is only for show but not for outdoor enjoyment.
Who would want to live like that?

Quote:
They're common. If you don't like them then choose a home from among the others.

Quote:
When new (the only time that Q matters)... I suspect it'll still be local/situational.
But all of it is a throwback to England and the landed gentry.

In many areas they put the well and septic systems in the front (c 1950ish) to make later connection
to city systems far less complicated (c1970ish). In many areas the large homes had large park like settings
as a status symbol that would appeal to the nouveau riche with money having "arrived" to tend
(or pay others to tend) crops that no one will eat. Back yards you don't have to be as finicky.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:16 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I like being set back from the road, less noise from vehicles and less dust and dirt in the house if I want to have my windows open. The houses we are looking at are set back, but also have nice sized backyards.
The issue is the imbalance of those 2.
I'm not saying that houses should be pushed fully to the front to maximize backyard, but I also don't like when the house is pushed fully back (like many houses I have seen).
On a larger suburban (not farm) front yard you reach diminishing returns after 40-50ft, while the backyard could increase to infinity with ever increasing benefit.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:05 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Quote:
In cities or states where people dont talk to their neighbors much, the front yard is only for show but not for outdoor enjoyment. Then it comes down to show vs outdoor enjoyment.
I haven't seen this in most suburbs I have seen at least here on the East Coast

On a medium-sized lot (0.3-0.5 acres), the structure will usually be in the middle of the lot, with a bit more given to the backyard. This gives the nice look to the front, a bit of noise reduction while still leaving enough backyard.

On a small lot (0.2 acres or less), they will often be pushed up more towards the front to keep the backyard more pleasant and usable.

On a large lot (1 acre+), you have enough space that you can have a large front and backyard so it becomes moot

Anyway, the setback is not really about making it look good for show. It's about maximizing the benefits of being setback from the street while not making your yard too small.

Anyway, I guess my point is you seem stuck on this idea that it's all for "show" and I don't think that is the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate