U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 12:34 AM

3,110 posts, read 4,258,768 times

Advertisements

I recently got an appraisal for my home and they didn’t include the entry room as living space. It is a room with a nice window, closet, the washer and dryer and sink. The outside door leads to the the garage. The inside French door leads to the lower level hall. This room is 12 x 12. Finished floor vinyl “Wood” planks. The rest of the lower level is also completely finished. This room is the same size as the bedroom that is on the upper level directly above it.

I don’t understand why this room is not considered living space. It’s a vital part of the home, used daily and too big to just write off. Is this common? Can I insist on it being included?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 07:39 AM

10,698 posts, read 6,862,679 times
Is it heated and cooled?

Old 01-05-2019, 07:45 AM

660 posts, read 180,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I recently got an appraisal for my home and they didn’t include the entry room as living space. It is a room with a nice window, closet, the washer and dryer and sink. The outside door leads to the the garage. The inside French door leads to the lower level hall. This room is 12 x 12. Finished floor vinyl “Wood” planks. The rest of the lower level is also completely finished. This room is the same size as the bedroom that is on the upper level directly above it.

I don’t understand why this room is not considered living space. It’s a vital part of the home, used daily and too big to just write off. Is this common? Can I insist on it being included?
Good question! Mine is not included either.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:03 AM

144 posts, read 47,864 times
Quote:

pretty sure every room that has heat is considered a living space

Old 01-05-2019, 10:16 AM

398 posts, read 365,497 times
Is the room below or partially below ground?

Old 01-05-2019, 10:20 AM

27,194 posts, read 59,064,304 times
Quote:
I recently got an appraisal for my home and they didn’t include the entry room as living space.
It is a room with a nice window, closet, the washer and dryer and sink.
Is this "entry room" actually a converted front porch?

Old 01-05-2019, 11:19 PM

3,110 posts, read 4,258,768 times
The garage entry room is heated and cooled as is the entire lower level.

It is the lower level of a split level home with access to and from the attached double garage.

The entire lower level is partially below ground, three feet. However the west wall is on walk out level with the garage. The south wall is 3 feet underground with a slope walk out going down to the garage.

It has normal large picture windows.

It is 12 x 12, never been a porch. It’s part of the actual house’ footprint.

The front door is in the middle of the front of the house, very far away from the garage entry door.

It sounds like it should be counted as living space. It was counted as living space when I bought it. That’s why I was so surprised now 15 years later to be told it would not be included.

Thanks!

Old Yesterday, 02:14 AM

4,309 posts, read 2,274,522 times
Quote:
The garage entry room is heated and cooled as is the entire lower level.

It is the lower level of a split level home with access to and from the attached double garage.

The entire lower level is partially below ground, three feet. However the west wall is on walk out level with the garage. The south wall is 3 feet underground with a slope walk out going down to the garage.

It has normal large picture windows.

It is 12 x 12, never been a porch. It’s part of the actual house’ footprint.

The front door is in the middle of the front of the house, very far away from the garage entry door.

It sounds like it should be counted as living space. It was counted as living space when I bought it. That’s why I was so surprised now 15 years later to be told it would not be included.

Thanks!
I would want that 144-square-feet room to be included, especially for the future when you or your heirs want to sell the house.

Do you have a floorpan? Can you upload it?

Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM

27,194 posts, read 59,064,304 times
Quote:
The garage entry room...
So you have a converted garage that you use as this "entry room"?
Who did the work and when? Was it permitted and inspected?

Quote:
It was counted as living space when I bought it.
That's what the RE salesman did.
Remodeled basements shouldn't be counted either.

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

1,139 posts, read 342,239 times
So from the front is this entry room between the garage and, say, the windows one would see on the "buried" side...windows that are just a little above ground on the front?

Can't really picture this entry room. I'm familiar with the large entry area that expanded to actual rooms inside the front door but enclosed and sealed well in some areas like cold areas where one sits and takes off snow gear.

Can you put up a pic of the front of your house? Even one that looks the same from an online source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or