U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 06:27 PM

413 posts, read 129,326 times

Advertisements

I've been interested in some mobile homes that are fairly new and look very nice. They're located in a fairly decent neighborhood with good schools and seem like an economical option in order to afford living in a nicer area.

Does anyone have experience with mobile homes like the ones I'm describing? Is it worth pursuing or are the drawbacks just not worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:34 PM

10,570 posts, read 6,832,756 times
If you own the land it's a lower cost option. If it's on a rented lot don't bother. They do get old looking really fast, I would tour them first. A lot don't even use drywall they have wall panels and you can see an outline of a strip where they are connected. I've seen some older ones that are well kept and landscaped and look like regular homes. I"ve seen others with cheap thin windows and cheap siding. If you are in a flood zone or hurricane or tornado zone they are they always are the first to get destroyed, but I've seen parks in Florida that have some that are from the 70s so it depends where the storm hits.

Old Today, 06:54 PM

4,122 posts, read 2,260,059 times
Now called Manufactured Homes... they can be a very good option. Most are built to high standards and the new ones (or remodeled older ones) can have very modern high end features inside and out. They aren't the thin cardboard and tin mobile homes of the 1970s. If you're buying on an owned lot and they have been permanently placed on a foundation and meet some other criteria your Realtor should know and be able to tell you about, they can be a great value and can be financeable with VA, FHA and Conventional loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or