U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 07:04 PM

30,491 posts, read 2,412,282 times

Advertisements

Some people view homes in the evening, so you are eliminating potential buyers, with no power. It shouldn't cost much anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 PM

8,661 posts, read 7,642,278 times
A lot of showings are hours when it is dark or very overcast which makes it difficult to really show a property. Shutting off electricity, will eliminate a large percentage of buyers. It is also a fact the better buyers that buy property, are ones that are looking at property after da And if there a halls it makes them dark when the property is shown. You have one of the most difficult to sell properties, so you want to eliminate a lot of potential buyers and possibly the only serious buyer for your property.

Go ahead and be cheap and turn off the electricity, and cut out a lot of potential buyers,and possibility the only serious buyers.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:44 PM

5,289 posts, read 3,986,636 times
I said in my OP that I want to keep the electricity on and my DH thinks maybe shut it off. Oldtrader, why say i am cheap?

I will keep the electricity on!

Old 01-24-2019, 10:10 PM

8,426 posts, read 7,742,678 times
Count me in with keeping the electricity on.

I can't believe the HOA, because it includes a hotel, would allow you to turn off the electricity.

I'm guessing your condo isn't on the rental program.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:52 AM

9,066 posts, read 9,422,563 times
When I sold my condo, I wasn't living there. It was July, so I left the electricity on and the A/C on. I left it set at 68 and just let it be. Electric bill for the month it took to sell was maybe $60 tops. Cost of doing business in my opinion.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:59 AM

5,183 posts, read 4,434,915 times
Leave the electricity on. Just get a Nest thermostat. You can control it from your phone or tablet by downloading the app. It also has a function to set a pin number, and then only you (or whomever you give the pin to) can change the settings. We have one on our vacation rental and we set it to prevent people from lowering the AC temp to 65, or setting the heat to 85, etc. We can reset the temp to our choosing as soon as renters leave from wherever we may be. It takes about 20 minutes to install.

Otherwise, set temp on t-stat to your preferred temp and then tape a piece of paper (tape on all 4 sides) over t-stat that says "DO NOT CHANGE TEMPERATURE SETTING!!!!!!"

Old 01-25-2019, 09:12 AM

5,289 posts, read 3,986,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Count me in with keeping the electricity on.

I can't believe the HOA, because it includes a hotel, would allow you to turn off the electricity.

I'm guessing your condo isn't on the rental program.
The residential tower adjoins the hotel. Hotel amenities for residents; and residents get most hotel services including no tip valet and hotel limo free around the city. But private — no guests allowed — fitness, gardens, grilling stations, lounges, library that guests cannot access... no hotel guests on the residential side....

Old Today, 01:38 AM

13,782 posts, read 12,612,557 times
Seriously? How much could it be per month with no one living there?

When I was renting, one of the primary things I checked was the HVAC system, for one unit I viewed, it had the electric turned off and I wanted it on so I can hear how loud the system is, the person did not turn on the power, I ended up not renting it.

Seems a bit odd cutting the power off, with no one living there, the costs are pretty low. Plus, i do not know where your condo is, but down in Miami where I live, I would want the air circulating and some sort of temperature control. I could just imagine getting mold and stuff from the stagnant air and humidity.

Oh yea, remembered this other one I viewed with the power cut, it was just impossible hot in there, like baking hot, the sun blasting through the giant wall of glass and balcony doors. Very uncomfortable to view, ended up not interested due to other reasons so never asked to have the power turned on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or