Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 05:54 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times

Advertisements

So two threads now about determining value.... what is your real question? Are you looking to buy, sell, do a term paper.... just curious? Perhaps we can help more if we know more about what you'd really like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 05:54 PM

29 posts, read 27,532 times
I understand the difference between appraised and assessed, don’t mistake me for an idiot.

My question is how do appraisers come up with the magic value to allow the bank to move forward with approving the loan???

Old 01-24-2019, 06:03 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Prince View Post
I understand the difference between appraised and assessed, don’t mistake me for an idiot.

My question is how do appraisers come up with the magic value to allow the bank to move forward with approving the loan???

They find recent nearby sales that are comparable to the subject property, and make value adjustments for differences to end up with a comparative appraised value.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:07 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:

Well, except that WASN'T your question. In your first post in this thread, you wrote about APPRAISED VALUES as if you could know exactly what they were for any house you were interested in (and I was confused about this, as were other posters, because I don't see how you would know that). But in later posts, you amended that to ASSESSED VALUES. As many posters have already pointed out, those are not the same things.

The question you asked in the post I quoted above is quite different from what you asked in the OP, when your question implied that you knew what appraised values were. And post #3 in this thread also used ASSESSED values as if they had something to do with APPRAISED values, which they do not. So you can say now that you "understand the difference between appraised and assessed" -- but you clearly DID NOT understand the difference when you started this thread, at least from how you worded your question.

So: are you concerned that a property that you want to buy might not appraise for what you plan to offer? I am just guessing here, since you were simply not clear at all in the OP (sorry!).

Appraisers look at comparable properties that have sold recently, e.g. in the same neighborhood, number of bedrooms & bathrooms & garage spaces, square footage, etc. When they must compare, say, a 4-bedroom house with a 3-bedroom house, they adjust accordingly. Can you be more specific about what your concern is?

Old 01-24-2019, 07:32 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,519,632 times
Assessed value has nothing to fo with appraised value.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:36 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:

hard pass. the Houston Realtors can answer these questions much better.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:54 PM

29 posts, read 27,532 times
When comparables are being used to come up with an appraisal amount how old are the comparables usually, is there an amount of time they are not allowed to pass ? (Over 90 days etc.)

Old 01-24-2019, 09:00 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I had a VA inspector miss all kinds of stuff and I was not savvy enough to catch it. It was awful.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:22 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
There was a clock repair store here in downtown Fort Lauderdale that had been here for decades.

The commercial building was appraised around $250,000. It sold for $4.6 million.

What the assessment is and what the actual value are two different things.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:42 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
Since I’m unable to post photo documents of several examples I will write it out:

9023 Langdon Ln

Assessment year 2018

Assessed value Total $150,000

ASSESSED VALUE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MARKET VALUE. IT IS ONLY TO DETERMINE A FAIR PROPERTY TAX.

Market Value Total $150,000

WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO SAY, THIS IS THE MARKET VALUE. DO YOU HAVE A COMPARABLE MARKET ANALYSIS, COMPARED WITH ADJUSTMENTS FEATURE BY FEATURE WITH 3 OR MORE COMPARABLE PROPERTIES. IT TAKES A CMA OR APPRAISAL TO FIND THE MARKET VALUE.

List price $249,000 ————> $229,000 decreased.

THIS MAY OR NOT BE THE MARKET VALUE AND CANNOT BE KNOWN WITHOUT A CMA PREPARED BY AN EXPERIENCED PERSON OR AN APPRAISAL.
I wrote in caps, to shout out the truth of what it takes to determine market value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate