U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM

27,458 posts, read 59,428,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
As far as the states of the SW US are concerned surveys are simply not done.
And you don't commonly use attorneys to represent the buyer and manage the closing.
I think ya'all are just plain foolish to accept that 'norm' in these matters.

WHEN there is a problem, in what for most is the largest financial transaction they've ever had,
what becomes the FIRST bit of advice they're told?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM

12,320 posts, read 6,417,490 times
I don’t understand why anyone would buy a house without researching the abutters first. I met all my neighbors before I had an executed purchase and sale. I’d gone online and looked at the liens on their properties looking for problems. I pulled up the sex offender list for the town. I can deal with an encroachment problem with a rational neighbor. The OP bought next to trailer trash. I think most of us could sniff that out before buying.

Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM

6,106 posts, read 7,296,849 times
This is quite interesting to me since I am a firm believer in property rights. Not knowing who will prevail I would first ask if you could do a reroute of the property line that would give You and the neighbor both something you would like. Then have the neighbor pay for the resurvey and the applications to the county to change the lot line. But a lot depends on how much space there is to work with.

Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

961 posts, read 1,037,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don’t understand why anyone would buy a house without researching the abutters first. I met all my neighbors before I had an executed purchase and sale. I’d gone online and looked at the liens on their properties looking for problems. I pulled up the sex offender list for the town. I can deal with an encroachment problem with a rational neighbor. The OP bought next to trailer trash. I think most of us could sniff that out before buying.
The neighbor is new, she bought about 6 weeks after me. And yes, she is trailer trash...and mentally ill. The original neighbor was just fine, I had done my research on him.

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

961 posts, read 1,037,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
This is quite interesting to me since I am a firm believer in property rights. Not knowing who will prevail I would first ask if you could do a reroute of the property line that would give You and the neighbor both something you would like. Then have the neighbor pay for the resurvey and the applications to the county to change the lot line. But a lot depends on how much space there is to work with.
This is NOT a legal matter with the neighbor, it is against the folks that sold me my house.

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

11,425 posts, read 4,152,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And you don't commonly use attorneys to represent the buyer and manage the closing.
I think ya'all are just plain foolish to accept that 'norm' in these matters.

WHEN there is a problem, in what for most is the largest financial transaction they've ever had,
what becomes the FIRST bit of advice they're told?
And the west thinks the east is foolish to waste money on lawyers who are not required and add little value to the transaction.

The first response to a problem is seldom get "get a survey" or "hire a lawyer". Practically the survey is virtually never used and the hiring of a lawyer is generally well down the list.

Not that lawyers are not involved. We consult in house counsel a couple of times a year and the RE board counsel also is used a good bit. None of that however is billed to the client.

Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM

27,458 posts, read 59,428,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And the west thinks the east is foolish to waste money on lawyers
who are not required and add little value to the transaction.
They don't understand that it usually costs LESS than working through those trust companies
and the value of having YOUR guy a) running things and b) available to consult on details is rather significant.
If you don't value these things then I'll leave you to live life the way you prefer.

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

11,425 posts, read 4,152,869 times
Quote:
They don't understand that it usually costs LESS than working through those trust companies
and the value of having YOUR guy a) running things and b) available to consult on details is rather significant.
If you don't value these things then I'll leave you to live life the way you prefer.
Having bought and sold homes in CA, NV and NY you are quite incorrect. The differences are not huge mostly because of the predominance of the RE commission in the cost. But the East is clearly more expensive.

This is a rather concrete protocol that generally requires little creative thought. Lawyers in the east like it as it is all paralegal effort with little actual attorney input.

How do I know? Mother was a NY lawyer.

Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,973,616 times
Quote:
Never paid more than $500 or required more than an afternoon to do. Last one was $350 & 2 hours on site.
You are lucky. My ex-neighbor paid $800 for a 1/5 acre lot survey in CT, years ago. It was only a couple of hours as well.

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

13,817 posts, read 32,031,106 times
Quote:
Never paid more than $500 or required more than an afternoon to do. Last one was $350 & 2 hours on site.

Nope. It's part of the due diligence inspection process.
But if the seller says they have one... DEMAND to see it.

Clearly not enough if the message hasn't gotten through.
They don't cost $500 out here for a survey. That's why they aren't common. Marking corners with flags is more common, but that isn't a survey. Surveys are a legal document while flagged corners are for informational purposes only with no legal standing.

And in Oregon, title insurance does not cover boundary disputes unless a full, recent survey of the property is submitted to the title company and the exception removed off of the title insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or