Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:30 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You do know that title companies have (and are frequently owned by) attorneys, plural, for the transaction, do you not?
Of course. But they aren't retained by the buyer... are they?
That's the difference.

The only thing worse than having a lawyer in the mix is when it's someone else's lawyer.
Have your own. And get a survey. And get title insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 11:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Of course. But they aren't retained by the buyer... are they?
That's the difference.

The only thing worse than having a lawyer in the mix is when it's someone else's lawyer.
Have your own. And get a survey. And get title insurance.

They are an independent third party with an interest in the deal being done properly for both sides so that they don't end up on the hook for a title insurance claim.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
They are an independent third party with an interest in the deal being done properly for both sides
so that they don't end up on the hook for a title insurance claim.
That's all well and good. The criticism/concern isn't the closing day clerical work as it occurs in most cases.

The point is about having an actual attorney client relationship established well in advance of the closing,
as in the before the offer is even tendered and then throughout all of the negotiation stages,
to consult with when the questions arise let alone when there's a real problem to sort out...
and to maintain all this WITHOUT even a hint of 3rd party entanglements related to it.

Last edited by MrRational; 01-29-2019 at 11:32 AM..

Old 01-29-2019, 12:33 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I really don't know anyone who gets a survey when buying a home here in MA. I'm sure they are done from time to time, but most of the purchases i'm familiar with are in neighborhoods with established property lines and existing fences.

The mortgage company does what's called a "mortgage survey" where they just take general measurements of the property and land, but if you want a full boundary survey with marked stakes, you are looking at more expense.

I didn't do a survey on my house when I bought it, but a year later was required by the town to have one to pull a permit on a new deck and replacing a fence (neighbor and I split it...no dispute over the line). Cheapest survey I could get was $1200 for 1/3 acre. many of my neighbors and new and in casual conversations with them, none had a survey done as well. Just doesn't seem to be typical in my area as part of the home buying experience unless their are issues. My Real estate attorney fees were only $900.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:16 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
The seller stated they had a survey done and in addition stated there were no encroachments.

That is deceitful.

In addition I have testimony from the previous neighbour that he disclosed his survey results to the seller 6 years prior to the sale, that his driveway encroached on their property. I also have his testimony that they told him they decided not to disclose it in the sale of the property.
Years ago a seller "stated" that the home was a certain square footage. It was much smaller.

I did my due diligence, and verified the square footage and found the error.

Turns out the seller was told by the person that sold them the house the incorrect square footage.

Do you know for certain that they were deceitful?

Old 01-29-2019, 01:27 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
That's fabulous. So what did you get as "the full amount"?
The full amount in Oregon is $10,000.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:04 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I expect a majority of buyers do. surveys are very expensive and can take time, so what if you are considering between a few houses, do you have them all surveyed before making an offer?
$400 is not very expensive, and you survey during the inspection period after you sign the contract.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:13 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I find it hard to believe that NC is vastly different on this point:

title insurance does NOT cover matters of survey.
Vastly different from what? Title insurance insures that the buyer gets good title to the land described in the contract. Whether the described land is the same as what the buyer thinks he's supposed to be getting is not the title company's business anywhere that I know of.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:14 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
$400 is not very expensive, and you survey during the inspection period after you sign the contract.
Why do you think it costs $400 everywhere across the US for a survey?

Old 01-29-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Why do you think it costs $400 everywhere across the US for a survey?
Everywhere that does the process correctly (the way we know it can be done).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate