U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 09:33 PM

858 posts, read 501,568 times

Advertisements

I recently took an early retirement and had a windfall due to a death in the family. While searching for a new home for my family I came across a property at auction and was able to purchase it for $15K. Comps in the area are $100K. I've done construction in the past so I will be doing a lot of the work myself, hoping that will increase profit considerably.

If this one goes well I'd like to do more in the future...figure it will keep me occupied in "retirement". My question is, should I flip under a business? I'm asking mostly for tax purposes. Also, it would seem more "stable" if it went through a business and I payed myself a salary, but I'm not sure if it would work that way...which is why I'm asking. FWIW, the property is in Illinois and I live in Iowa if that has any relevance.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 10:26 PM

102 posts, read 17,635 times
First thing tomorrow, go get a CPA.

Second thing, call a realtor and sell.

Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM

8,255 posts, read 6,496,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
I recently took an early retirement and had a windfall due to a death in the family. While searching for a new home for my family I came across a property at auction and was able to purchase it for $15K. Comps in the area are $100K. I've done construction in the past so I will be doing a lot of the work myself, hoping that will increase profit considerably.

If this one goes well I'd like to do more in the future...figure it will keep me occupied in "retirement". My question is, should I flip under a business? I'm asking mostly for tax purposes. Also, it would seem more "stable" if it went through a business and I payed myself a salary, but I'm not sure if it would work that way...which is why I'm asking. FWIW, the property is in Illinois and I live in Iowa if that has any relevance.

1. I can't see the need for a corporation until it's an actual business. Your first flip isn't yet a business.
2. How far away from you is the home.
3. What work will require permits in IL or the municipality, and what won't?

Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM

27,475 posts, read 59,447,551 times
Quote:
Twenty years ago... even ten... gets a different answer than today.

That difference ranges from the immediate economic & market situation,
the number of very well heeled pro's who have gotten into the work,
through the changes in codes and permitting/inspection standards.
In all, it leaves little to recommend the hobby (even with my son in Iowa City).

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

5,996 posts, read 6,583,498 times
LLC. Lots of tax deduction benefits. Incorporation, as mentioned above, is not necessary for the benefits until you have significant and steady revenue.

Anyway, you want to talk to people in your area to get advice. CPA and/or lawyer as well.

Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM

302 posts, read 156,705 times
Go to a lawyer and set up an LLC. The liability is the reason: you don't want your own home and income at risk.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

1,742 posts, read 678,185 times
There are no tax benefits. Your income and deductions would work the same way as if you filed normally. Paying yourself a salary would be taken out of the income from the home(s), which would make no difference in how it its taxed.

Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

3,406 posts, read 7,417,826 times
Quote:

If you are going to use mortgage loans, and own several properties: The manner in which buy-and-holds will count against you in your debt ratio (as personal liabilities) can only be solved if the properties are held by LLCs AND you file business Tax returns. So the route of W2-ing yourself, with the properties held within the LLC is smart if you plan to do this long term. Business Bank accounts, also.

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

9,666 posts, read 11,559,783 times
This is a 15K to 100K flip........don't bother with an LLC/paperwork hassle.

Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

8,448 posts, read 7,751,670 times
Chances are, and depending upon your market, if a house sells for $15K in a neighborhood full of $100k houses, it needs $85k worth of work to just bring it to code.

I would instead concentrate on bringing it to code and turning it into a rental property.

There are tons of people out there that have been successfully flipping houses that weathered the economic downturn that have tons of experience that did not buy this house.

There is a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or