Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 07:26 AM

33 posts, read 26,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Cheeses, and I thought mine were high at a tenth of that. That's crazy.
It's unreal. I come from a family of teachers and law enforcement, so it pains me to say, that the fat pension guarantees for the teachers, firemen, and police is crippling the towns of North Rockland. The average salary, with overtime for a police officer is around $135k. The average salary for a teacher after five years is close to 100k. They like to blame the cost of living, but the ironic thing is that it's their salaries and benefits which are causing the high costs of living. It seems like a never ending cycle of pension promises that the towns cannot afford to pay. Same as in most of Rockland and Westchester counties. New York State can get away with it because of Wall Street, but the counties, not so much..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I only have one comment - you call Rockland "upstate"? It's within commuting distance of NYC.
It's downstate. Where did I say it was upstate? Technically speaking, upstate starts at Putnam County I believe.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
You mentioned you have a 5 bedroom house. Have you considered a roommate or two? If you became friends you would have someone to do things with plus someone to help pay your tax increase. If the only thing you don't like about it is that is not close to friends or social things I wouldn't sell especially if you weren't going to make any kind of profit. I'd rather drive to a club or something once a week than live somewhere less desirable for a social life. But you're young so perhaps your priorities are different.
Not looking to live with a person unless I was in a LTR or marriage. I tried the roommate situation before. It was like pulling teeth in order to get them to pay a small share. Not worth the headache.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:09 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTLWorld View Post
Have no problem living alone, just so far from everything. It's just dead socially around here. Friends don't want to come by or do something because I'm too far away, and dating, well, I always get the question, why did you move there? Aside from not close to friends or social things to do, it's fine.
Perhaps you find a woman who loves living in the country

Old 02-02-2019, 11:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Are you implying that you will get no price appreciation for the $200K you put into improvements. Is it not possible your home is worth more than you think it is?

Why 5 bedrooms?

Are you close to a NJTransit station or is Nanuet the end of the line?
Is North Rockland a town (I cannot find it), or a description of the Northern Part of Rockland COunty near Thiele or Haverstraw, or God Forbid, in the Bear Mountains?

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-02-2019 at 11:32 AM..

Old 02-02-2019, 11:29 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Are you implying that you will get no price appreciation for the $200K you put into improvements. Is it not possible your home is worth more than you think it is?

Why 5 bedrooms?

Not all were improvements, most were what would be considered routine maintenance.

Replace the furnace HVAC. Replace the grinder pump (although I'll grant that two in eleven years is unusual). Sump pump replacement. If that cost $5000 it was more than replacing a $200 pump. Did he mention the roof? I don't remember.

The mold issue in the basement, if visible, was a failure of inspection. The leaking shower pan happens frequently, or isn't particularly rare and should have been covered at least partially by insurance. Unless they screwed him on that like they did with the garage.

The pool work is normal, especially the heater. If by water boiler he means the water heater that's also something that gets replaced fairly often (I guess. I replaced a 50 year old one a couple or three years ago. It should have been done a decade ago). I just looked, water heaters, gas, have a service life of 8 to 12 years.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:38 AM

21,928 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post
I agree with Harry Hemi, your taxes should be based off the assessed value of your home when you initially purchased it 11 years ago. It’s normal to increase gradually as the value of your home increases but a huge increase like that is not normal. You really should speak with your county appraisal district
It depends on where you live. It's not like that everywhere.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Perhaps you find a woman who loves living in the country
I do not live in the country.

Quote:

Why 5 bedrooms?

Is North Rockland a town (I cannot find it), or a description of the Northern Part of Rockland COunty near Thiele or Haverstraw, or God Forbid, in the Bear Mountains?
Not sure on the price appreciation. Awaiting to hear back from the realtor. That's what the house came with. Thiells is in North Rockland within the town of Haverstraw. Maybe 8 - 10 miles from bear mountain I guess, less than 2 miles from Stony Point/Tomkins Cove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not all were improvements, most were what would be considered routine maintenance.

Replace the furnace HVAC. Replace the grinder pump (although I'll grant that two in eleven years is unusual). Sump pump replacement. If that cost $5000 it was more than replacing a $200 pump. Did he mention the roof? I don't remember.

The mold issue in the basement, if visible, was a failure of inspection. The leaking shower pan happens frequently, or isn't particularly rare and should have been covered at least partially by insurance. Unless they screwed him on that like they did with the garage.

The pool work is normal, especially the heater. If by water boiler he means the water heater that's also something that gets replaced fairly often (I guess. I replaced a 50 year old one a couple or three years ago. It should have been done a decade ago). I just looked, water heaters, gas, have a service life of 8 to 12 years.
Pump was around 2800. They had to do a refitting and a new pipe. Around 5k in total. When you're sump pump goes, there's only so much time one has to replace. The house was sold as is so no legal issues against the previous owner or bank. Shower and kitchen fix was under my deductible and happened at different times. One shower in the master than the other in the hallway.

Water heaters last about 10 years on average. I bought a new one that self-cleans and was rated well on Consumer Reports. The grinder pump was a pain. Both the main and backup went. Once in 2012 and again a few months ago. It was a disaster. No pumping for five days. It's another reason why I want to get out of here..

Old 02-02-2019, 12:48 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
You are gonna get more than you think for a 5 bedroom move-in ready home within a 2 hour commute from NYC.
You never mentioned acreage.

Have a good night's sleep...sounds like you haven't had one for a while.

edit: Does this have anything to do with Indian Point's nuclear reactors?

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-02-2019 at 01:00 PM..

Old 02-02-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
You are gonna get more than you think for a 5 bedroom move-in ready home within a 2 hour commute from NYC.
You never mentioned acreage.

Have a good night's sleep...sounds like you haven't had one for a while.

edit: Does this have anything to do with Indian Point's nuclear reactors?
Not too sure about that. The realtor thinks getting 850k for North Rockland will be a stretch. Even if we do, his cut is 6% which equates to $51k. Maybe another 7500k in tax and atty fees, so it's not going to be very good. You can get to Manhattan in about 40 minutes from my place. Usually, I can get to the GWB in about 25/30 mins.

No, Indian Point has little to do with North Rockland. I believe most of Indian Point's electricity is for NYC and Westchester. One only assumes that the property taxes and energy costs are going to skyrocket even more in Westchester because of the Indian Point closing. Cuomo is king in raising everyone's cost of living. It's one of the reasons I'm looking at NJ or CT. They're not the greatest, but the COL; outside of certain towns isn't that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate