Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 04:29 PM

33 posts, read 26,398 times

Advertisements

So here's the deal. About 11 years ago, my lease was up and they wanted to raise the rent to a crazy amount. I got it into my head that I should buy a house at 27 and that would help level off the costs. For some strange reason, I picked North Rockland in Rockland County, NY partly because the taxes were low and I wanted some piece and quiet. I purchased a house, a foreclosure, for cash and made about 200k in improvements and upgrades. The house is is only around 16 years old, and I love it, but it's far from everything. There is like zero social life around here and women seem to be turned off that I live so far away. I have mixed feelings on the house as I upgraded everything and now it's all IOT and smart ready. I like the space, but one man doesn't really need a five bedroom house. I like the piece and quiet, and I didn't like hearing neighbors in my apt building. It was like you can hear everything they were doing... I mean everything. Fights, exercise, sex, etc. So I bought the house and made it my own personal home. Sadly, due to the tax situation (when I moved here the taxes were nothing. Now, they are 5 times the amount). I've also had to replace the following:

sump-pump
2 septic grinders twice
Finish the basement
Rebuild a garage that was crushed by the 2012 hurricane
Redo the pool liner
Replace one AC
Replace the pool heater
Replace the water boiler

I really do not know what to do. I can probably get the same amount I paid for the house 11 years ago, but wouldn't know where to move to. Plus, everything has gone up in price whereas my house, due to the tax issue, has basically stayed the same. I tried to look at Hoboken, NJ prices are insane. I really do not want to move back to the city. Plus, moving everything would be a nightmare as well. That and the whole selling of the house is what's holding me back.

Open to ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 04:54 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
I think you have to decide if the disadvantages of living in your current location bother you enough that you're willing to lose a significant amount of money in order to move. Moving's not cheap, and it doesn't sound like the sale of your current house will cover the cost of buying a new, smaller house closer to a major city (and you won't come close to recouping the $200k you put into improving the place, either).

I'd probably stay put and enjoy the peace and quiet. But that doesn't mean my choice is the right choice for you. Only you can decide that.

Remember, though, that all houses are money pits that need regular repairs, and that there's no place you can move where taxes are guaranteed not to increase. Those are unavoidable aspects of home ownership, so I wouldn't let those aspects sway your decision too much.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:26 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
You seem concerned that you are living alone with no obvious way to change that. Could you meet people by doing a little vacation traveling?

Old 01-28-2019, 05:39 PM

Have no problem living alone, just so far from everything. It's just dead socially around here. Friends don't want to come by or do something because I'm too far away, and dating, well, I always get the question, why did you move there? Aside from not close to friends or social things to do, it's fine.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:39 PM

169 posts, read 160,303 times
So basically your moving only because the property taxes have become so expensive your unable to pay anymore? Don’t you have a residential homestead to keep the taxes low? If the house is not located in a desirable area (which it isn’t by your description) why have the taxes increased so much?

Old 01-28-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post
So basically your moving only because the property taxes have become so expensive your unable to pay anymore? Don’t you have a residential homestead to keep the taxes low? If the house is not located in a desirable area (which it isn’t by your description) why have the taxes increased so much?

Huh? No. I have no issues in paying the property taxes. I paid them last week in full. North Rockland, New York had a huge tax trial from an energy company. The school board is paying (https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/23/n...3district.html) which is why the taxes shot up. My issue was based on the social aspect of things, not monetary.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:52 PM

169 posts, read 160,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTLWorld View Post
Huh? No. I have no issues in paying the property taxes. I paid them last week in full. North Rockland, New York had a huge tax trial from an energy company. The school board is paying (https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/23/n...3district.html) which is why the taxes shot up. My issue was based on the social aspect of things, not monetary.
You posted:

“Sadly, due to the tax situation (when I moved here the taxes were nothing. Now, they are 5 times the amount)”

Which is why I assumed you were moving due to high property taxes. Out of curiosity are the taxes over or under $5k?

Old 01-28-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post
You posted:

“Sadly, due to the tax situation (when I moved here the taxes were nothing. Now, they are 5 times the amount)”

Which is why I assumed you were moving due to high property taxes. Out of curiosity are the taxes over or under $5k?
When I first moved here, they were around $5,600 a year, which made it extremely attractive. They are now around $21,000 a year. It would be cheaper to live in Bergen County, NJ or Westchester County, NY than in North Rockland, NY.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:51 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Sell the house.
Buy somewhere else and make it your home.
Don’t fixate on the money.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:35 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTLWorld View Post
When I first moved here, they were around $5,600 a year, which made it extremely attractive. They are now around $21,000 a year. It would be cheaper to live in Bergen County, NJ or Westchester County, NY than in North Rockland, NY.
If I were you I would see a real estate lawyer about those taxes.
Even with your improvements, the taxes shouldnt be going up THAT much. Especially if you didnt significantly raise the value of the house.
My Dad did that and got a big chunk taken off of his taxes, in Bergen County, back when the taxes were around 10K for the house.

21K is ridiculous.

Also, you should look up town functions in your area. There will be women to meet there, and in neighboring towns. Those are good ways to meet people. Those ladies will appreciate your house. Otherwise you'll have to move someplace like Morristown NJ to find young social life. (Definitely dont move to Bergen County).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate