U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM

4,110 posts, read 1,778,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Glad you're self aware enough to see that! Actually LOTS of houses have no photos posted, or only exterior shots.

I do give the realtor a list of properties I want to see WITH THE SPECIFIC instruction that anything he/she wants to add needs to be along the same lines.

This admonition has ALWAYS been ignored.
Well, the photos are usually garbage, taken at angles that make the weird tiny sausage shaped room with only one source of natural light look like the reception room at the White House. And when they say "updated, opened up" etc. you can't tell from the photos whether they just widened the doorway between the dining room and kitchen, or they took out all the load bearing walls on the first floor and now the ceiling is sagging and the second story floors bounce when you walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

657 posts, read 1,634,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, the photos are usually garbage, taken at angles that make the weird tiny sausage shaped room with only one source of natural light look like the reception room at the White House. And when they say "updated, opened up" etc. you can't tell from the photos whether they just widened the doorway between the dining room and kitchen, or they took out all the load bearing walls on the first floor and now the ceiling is sagging and the second story floors bounce when you walk.

Look at Wake County NC home pictures = beautiful, staged (not necessary, but nice to look at)

Look at New England home pictures = Manchester NH w/20 mile surrounding area, homes only; ditto Portland, ME...our recent searches. Don't start in the 300s either, start at lowest, head up to the mid 200s. And that's no excuse...lowest or not, isn't the objective to sell something in its best light possible?

Out of focus, piles of garbage, corners of rooms (?), and one memorable one...my husband and I wanted to call the police. It was sheets pulled over a queen bed that was on the floor that had the most horrible, "runoff" type stain on the edge of the mattress that I swear to you was dried blood.

Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM

7,532 posts, read 5,560,822 times
Quote:
And now we see exactly what I was talking about.

My economic bracket has been assumed to be "low" in a pejorative way.

My desire for diversity in the neighborhood is put down as a ridiculous obsession.

I am called a liar when I state that I have experienced discriminatory actions on the part of some realtors (not mine, I weed those out immediately, but seller's realtors over whom I have no control).

My off-handed mention of one criteria for something I HATE in a house is belittled.

I am blamed for not being able to control the impulses of the realtors I HAVE had to work with.

And I am told I can like it or lump it, either put up with a realtor who won't hew to MY wishes or do without any realtor assistance at all.

Not a single person had anything actually constructive to say and only ONE person was even sympathetic (for which I am grateful).

This is exactly why I don't like dealing with realtors.
I'm not a realtor, but it sounds like your list of requirements makes the house you would be sort of a unicorn if you don't buy new construction. I know that isn't constructive but hammering a realtor for not noticing undesirable closet doors, or showing you a house that has a space you said you don't want Which for 99% of people wouldn't be a turnoff so much as a lack of a value add, lack of a popular color Gray is a hot color, and no carpet, is kind of difficult.

Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM

13,827 posts, read 32,052,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'm not a realtor, but it sounds like your list of requirements makes the house you would be sort of a unicorn if you don't buy new construction. I know that isn't constructive but hammering a realtor for not noticing undesirable closet doors, or showing you a house that has a space you said you don't want Which for 99% of people wouldn't be a turnoff so much as a lack of a value add, lack of a popular color Gray is a hot color, and no carpet, is kind of difficult.
I've had very specific buyers and it took us 8 years to find their unicorn, BUT we only looked at maybe 3-4 houses a year. I think that is the problem the OP is having. Agents are trying to show her something, anything, rather than just saying that what she wants is rare so they may only go and see 3-4 houses a year.

Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM

4,110 posts, read 1,778,479 times
OP, keep in mind a couple of things.

1) We are once again at the tippy-top of a real estate bubble. Just like last time, the agents are getting all full of themselves, making the buyer do all the work, and expecting the buyer to ooh and aah over whatever garbage they show you and make an offer right on the spot. I remember back in 2006 you practically had to beg a real estate agent to even send her assistant to talk to you. Boy, by 2008/9 they had really changed their tune.

When we moved to New England in 06, we actually went to one place where there was a LINE of people waiting to get into the house. We walked in and were told "you have to make an offer by noon today, and make it your best one because there's going to be a bidding war." I immediately smelled the mold and mildew, which my experienced nose told me came from years or decades of water damage; when I walked across the living room floor the floor actually bounced and squished. "We're outta here!"

2) Real estate agents are sales people before they are anything else. For one thing, that means, like all sales people, they have an event horizon that doesn't extend past the next sale. Thus, for example, the prima donna attitude at bubble peak which then turns to begging at crash nadir.

For another, it means that the ability to be quiet and listen to the client is extremely rare. When you come out with a list of things you want and don't want, you THINK that the real estate agent is hearing "I don't want a Jacuzzi tub, but I really want abundant natural light, etc" and what they are really hearing is "blah blah blah" and what they're thinking is "OK, I've got that place over on Wilson St., that I haven't been able to move for six months yet, does this one look like she could be convinced to buy that one? well, heck, even if she doesn't, I've got to get that place off the books, I'll take her there, you never know..." - "Oh dear, Pyewackette, did you say something?"

There are a few sales people who can actually shut up and listen to you without constantly strategizing with themselves how to sell you something fast so they can go to lunch, but not very many.

3) The Internet now offers the real estate agents even more excuse not to do any ground work. Never mind that many good properties either don't show up at all, or show up as something entirely different than they really are.

I don't have any real solution except feet on the ground. As long as we have peak bubble, the chance that the average real estate agent will get off their butt and actually look to find something that meets your needs and wishes will remain vanishingly small.

My story on this has to do with the time we had about three or four specific areas where we were looking, and we were looking for something specific, which type of houses were definitely present in those areas, but they didn't come up for sale all that often. We were working with one agent. But we also got off our butts and drove the neighborhoods. One Sunday we were coming back from breakfast, decided to take a quick spin through one of our target areas, and found a house with a "for sale" sign that hadn't been there a few days earlier. (A real, MLS sign, not a by owner.)

So, we called the agent we'd been working with - "Hey, anything new for sale in [name of neighborhood]?" the answer was, "Nope, nothing new for sale, I will call you when something comes up." Well, I figured she had lost the deal. We called the listing agent directly, did not use a "buyer's agent", negotiated directly with the listing agent, who was motivated by the double commish; closed the deal for a darn good price.

Sorry, [original agent we were working with], if you had LOOKED for houses for us (and we were clearly real buyers, as evidenced by the fact that we made an offer the very same day we saw the house, and all the paperwork was done within the next twelve hours), you would have gotten your 3%. But you just sat there and looked at the computer screen. Bye!

Of course, the feet on the ground recommendation doesn't help you if you're coming in from out of town for a job relo and you need to close a deal right now, chop chop.

Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

2,472 posts, read 596,160 times
Quote:
No, they most definitively are not. I DO give them a list, with the admonition that other properties they may choose to show me should be along the same lines. I still get dragged to half-duplexes with crappy falling apart cabinets and ridiculous closet doors that are nailed shut.

Apparently the ones I've been dealing with are not only not mind readers, they don't understand plain English. Which part, I wonder, of "I don't want to see a duplex" translates in their minds to "I'll just drag her over to this crappy duplex where you can't even find parking on a normal day and maybe she won't notice that it has absolutely none of the features she wants".

I am VERY clear about what I want and don't want. I am nothing if not BLUNT. I don't sugar coat. I don't beat around the bush.

And I don't trust pictures. When a realtor springs something ridiculous on me I guarantee you it is because they cherry picked the pictures they chose to show me. YOU KNOW the pictures online are almost always cherry picked as well. Pictures are not to be trusted. Personal inspection is required.
Wow, never would have guessed.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

10,939 posts, read 3,588,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I understand what you mean. However I have never used an agent to find me properties. I see something either in person or in an internet search that I like and ask to see that. I would never allow an agent to select properties for me to view.
It is kind of like buying a wedding dress, I would not allow the consultant to select dresses for you to try, I would be out there selecting what I liked to try on. Same idea.

For real estate I may or may not hire a buyers agent, never used to exist when I started looking, but now I probably would, though now that I think of it I did not use one for the retirement house I am in now, found it online when I was living in CA and house is in WV. Sent husband to WV to inspect house there and made offer to the seller's agent the same day.

Totally agree!

We moved a few years ago out of state. My realtor who sold our home found us a realtor to work with in our new state. She did ask what we were looking for and did bring us to a few properties that she found, but I'm the one that looked up homes I wanted to see. I know what I like and what I'm really looking for, so yes it was nice that she brought us to a few properties she found, but I basically did the leg work on finding properties, which to me makes total sense! And yes, we purchased a home that I found!

So why did I use a buyers agent then? To let me in the properties so I wouldn't have to deal with each agent that was selling a home. To get her opinion on different areas we were looking at and advice on schools, to help us negotiate and do the paperwork. To me it just seemed easier to hire a professional. I can find a house, but the rest I leave to them!

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

7,872 posts, read 11,529,395 times
Quote:
My desire for diversity in the neighborhood is put down as a ridiculous obsession.
Speaking of ridiculous...

Quote:
I'm white. That doesn't mean I want to live in a neighborhood full of bigots. Any neighborhood that is mostly white is full of bigots. I'm not living there.

Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM

8,275 posts, read 6,509,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I've had very specific buyers and it took us 8 years to find their unicorn, BUT we only looked at maybe 3-4 houses a year. I think that is the problem the OP is having. Agents are trying to show her something, anything, rather than just saying that what she wants is rare so they may only go and see 3-4 houses a year.
Yeah, I don't see the problem, other than the agents. I'm thrilled when a client has VERY specific criteria that eliminates 99% of the homes. I show them online what the market looks like for exactly what they do/don't want. That way, they know what to expect to pay for the exactly-right house, and they know how many of them sell in a year. Sometimes, it's 4 sales a year ... so when ONE comes on the market next week, they know full well it could be another 4 months before the next one comes up.

Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

4,364 posts, read 2,390,579 times
There are a fair number of Obnoxious Realtors out there... I was ready to sympathize with the OP for running across one. However, sometimes, it's not so simple.

There is a difference between a client who is very very particular, and an internet poster who is spoiling for a fight.

I actually enjoy both, in their proper place and time. But not today.... Not enough hours in today.

OP... I bet if you tried talking to your Realtor like an agent and an ally who will help you in your quest for the perfect place, instead of a servant or opponent you need to beat into submission, you might find the right agent for you. One who will actually pay attention and look out for you and your ever-growing list of wants and needs and quirks and taboos. There are agents out there, like me, who will make it our mission!

If you find the agent with the intuition and patience and competence you seek, they're going to have only limited patience for your temper tantrums and accusations. They're going to want to look with you, and look out for you. They're going to sympathize with the fact that you hate that kitchen, and that your perfect house is apparently not yet on the market, and they'll be happy to keep looking... but they will bug out when you blame them for swinging hollow core closet doors and the existence of grey paint and dining rooms or say something like "hew to my wishes".

Your Realtor can only show you what is available at the place and time and price you want to pay. We don't make the house... we just try to find you the house. We do our best to search on your criteria and I can often spot issues that aren't obvious in the pictures, but not always.... sometimes we don't know either until we get there, whether the house will work for you... Or NOT. We would LOVE to have time and energy to go out ahead of time and preview every house you might want to see, and have perfect judgment on what you would like. There just isn't time. That's why we (client and realtor both!) need to do our best to look, and you need to do your best to have a little patience with us, and the process. We will look at more houses you don't want to buy, than houses you do. We know that.

With that... I have to bug out.... Everyone have a nice day.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Clarity.... I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or