U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM

20,116 posts, read 36,962,407 times

Advertisements

I remember one time when I had a client that was adamant that he wanted to buy a fixer upper on about 10 acres out in the country and did not, not, NOT want a new build in town. He was an officer in the military and he knew his mind and how to communicate it, and I appreciated that. I found houses for him to see - he found more. Every time I eliminated a house for reasons that I knew and he didn't were deal breakers based on what he'd told me and I'd listened to (he and his wife were going to be flying in from out of state and had not been to the area), he'd add three to five more.

This turned into me showing them 37 houses in five counties in 3-1/2 days - he wanted to see every single one of them.

They ended up buying a model home in a subdivision in the middle of Austin that was closing out the subdivision.

That was not a case of my not listening, that was an all too familiar case of the buyer, who KNEW what they wanted, going in wanting one thing and then when they found out what was out there in our market, deciding to buy something very different.

It's not always that the agent isn't listening (though that is the case, I acknowledge, with some agents - though one wonders why a person would somehow only ever find those agents since they are in the minority in the business, at least around here, in my experience).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

451 posts, read 370,649 times
I've worked with twelve real estate agents in the past ten years. Sometimes to sell, sometimes to buy; very often, just looking (which I always disclose up front, because their time is valuable and they have other customers, who might turn into paying ones on the spot).

With one exception, they have gone out of their ways to be helpful. I greatly appreciate the time they spend with me, when they have absolutely no guarantee of earning a commission from me.

Do they show me houses I wouldn't want to buy? Sometimes, because I am trying to learn about the local housing stock, and looking at houses and neighborhoods is the way to do that. Even if I wouldn't buy that house, it's usually in a neighborhood that the agent has matched with my stated preference, so in future I will be on the lookout for houses in that neighborhood that are likely to work for me. Let's face it, these are used houses, and none will ever be 100% to my taste. I know that if I get too specific, there may be nothing that would work for me except a brand-new house.

Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

3,853 posts, read 1,374,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
I've worked with twelve real estate agents in the past ten years. Sometimes to sell, sometimes to buy; very often, just looking (which I always disclose up front, because their time is valuable and they have other customers, who might turn into paying ones on the spot).

With one exception, they have gone out of their ways to be helpful. I greatly appreciate the time they spend with me, when they have absolutely no guarantee of earning a commission from me.

Do they show me houses I wouldn't want to buy? Sometimes, because I am trying to learn about the local housing stock, and looking at houses and neighborhoods is the way to do that. Even if I wouldn't buy that house, it's usually in a neighborhood that the agent has matched with my stated preference, so in future I will be on the lookout for houses in that neighborhood that are likely to work for me. Let's face it, these are used houses, and none will ever be 100% to my taste. I know that if I get too specific, there may be nothing that would work for me except a brand-new house.
This is great.

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

26,248 posts, read 50,741,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Why aren't you taking a more active role in selecting the homes you want to look at?

The days when a Realtor takes you out looking at homes that are a complete surprise to you are LONG over.

This... simply has not been the norm around here for since the 80's unless you are a corporate relocation client... then it will be fully planned before arrival...

Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM

927 posts, read 212,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Why aren't you taking a more active role in selecting the homes you want to look at?
Because the Realtor takes 6-7% commission and they should actually do SOMETHING for all that money than simply unlock the door for a prospective buyer.

Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post

I turned that place down flat and she went into a major snit over it.
This is how Realtors work. They have properties which are difficult to sell and want to get them sold. So they show them to you anyway regardless of what you tell them so they can try to push you in that direction, even telling you there isn't anything else like what you are looking for on the market and other lies. They do this to sell you inventory which is sitting on the market too long.

You need to interview Realtors before you do anything. Also ask around and check their reputation with others and try to get a good recommend from your real estate attorney. The attorneys really know who is and isn't a good realtor. Those that really service you the best they can, and steer you clean from those who do nothing helpful and only show up to the closing to get their check and leave before it is over.

A good realtor would take all the input you give and ask questions and be proactive for you. Not simply someone who is going to make an appointment to show you the house you found yourself.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post

But the key to this, is that they listen and work hard for you, and not just "order takers" where you find the home, and they unlock the door for you.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM

4,367 posts, read 2,390,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Because the Realtor takes 6-7% commission and they should actually do SOMETHING for all that money than simply unlock the door for a prospective buyer.
Donít I wish! Wow! I hardly ever make more than two or three%!

And of course I hardly ever only open one door for thatÖ Sometimes there are many doors...

Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM

4,367 posts, read 2,390,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
This is how Realtors work...
No, it isnít. Practically none of what you said is how it actually works.

But itís late nowÖ More we can talk more tomorrow :-)

Old Today, 02:16 AM

6,263 posts, read 3,494,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Did I stutter? That's exactly what I said.

This OP would be a nightmare to work with. She has a huge chip on her shoulder, is actually hostile and unpleasant - not a nice person - not teachable - unwilling to take responsibility for herself - if she hates Realtors with such ferocious passion and she's so damn smart, why hasn't she figured out how to get her bizarre needs met?

I challenge HER to find the perfect house without gray walls!

And she twists everything to her crazy narrative. I said the probable reason why an agent showed her a house with 13 cars probably had to do with her budget . . . just a wild guess. She twisted that into me disparaging her about her budget. No, it just so happens that usually homes with 13 cars in the driveway would be on the lower side of the market . . . my point was that the agent was probably just showing her what was available in her price range.

She should read the Four Agreements. "Nothing is Personal."

What a nightmare of a client this person would be - I would refuse to work with someone so hostile and irrational - bad combo!
No. That is not at all what you said. Your exclusion of the word "legally" makes a world of difference; if you don't understand the difference, I can't help you.

I am not here to defend the foibles, or simply preferences of the OP, but you appear to have a difficulty with nuanced writing. She never said she wouldn't consider a house with gray walls, but did say she didn't want a house where gray could not be cheaply eliminated. Paint is cheap. Your conflation of parked cars and a low budget was not based on anything the OP wrote nor did she say there were thirteen cars in a driveway.

Feel free to ignore the wishes and requirements of your customers or use those as a basis for choosing with whom you work. The main complaint of the OP has been that her agents have not paid attention to the details of what she wants and that has been proven out by many of the posts here in reply.

Last edited by kokonutty; Today at 02:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or