U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

313 posts, read 249,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Uh.....
Smart buyers don't look at Zillow?
Well, smart buyers don't look at Zillow and take it seriously.

Yeah, that's it.
Zillow mirrors the MLS and is much more "normal people" friendly than other sites. Anyone who's actively looking *should* be looking on zillow.

The bad part of Zillow are their estimated property values, which don't really come into play if the house is actively listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM

32,464 posts, read 56,756,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
Zillow mirrors the MLS and is much more "normal people" friendly than other sites. Anyone who's actively looking *should* be looking on zillow.

The bad part of Zillow are their estimated property values, which don't really come into play if the house is actively listed.

Why would you not see all listings, rather than those that Zillow has?

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

313 posts, read 249,564 times
Quote:
Why would you not see all listings, rather than those that Zillow has?
MLS has all listings, and zillow gets a feed from MLS so that all the MLS listings show up in Zillow. Unless the home is listed by a broker who doesn't want it on Zillow, the listing will be on Zillow as well.

Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM

8,447 posts, read 6,637,131 times
Quote:
MLS has all listings, and zillow gets a feed from MLS so that all the MLS listings show up in Zillow. Unless the home is listed by a broker who doesn't want it on Zillow, the listing will be on Zillow as well.
this is not correct, and Zillow doesn't even "mirror" the MLS' that it does receive full feeds from. It's a snapshot, updated on occasion.

Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Over 40% of brokers in my local MLS withhold listings from Zillow.

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

Not all MLSs send listings to Zillow.

So, "Zillow has all the listings" is patently untrue.
And, my clients who are set up on an ASAP Notification search get to see listings long before Zillow shows them.

Zillow doesn't have to be good or honest as long as agents feed them cash to get sales leads. That is 67% of their revenue, and they still bleed and burn money.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; Yesterday at 04:40 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

333 posts, read 81,237 times
Quote:
Not all MLSs send listings to Zillow.

So, "Zillow has all the listings" is patently untrue.
And, my clients who are set up on an ASAP Notification search get to see listings long before Zillow shows them.

Zillow doesn't have to be good or honest as long as agents feed them cash to get sales leads. That is 67% of their revenue, and they still bleed and burn money.
Yep - the last property I sold, I specifically requested that it NOT be listed on Zillow. Primarily because their SWAG of an algorithm had not remotely caught up to how hot the neighborhood was and I didn't have the patience to deal with a buyer that would try to use that.

5 offers in 2 days. Didn't need them.

Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

4,459 posts, read 2,357,174 times
Quote:
Over 40% of brokers in my local MLS withhold listings from Zillow.
Do you then inform your sellers that their house will not be listed on Zillow (and maybe why it won't) and/or provide your sellers with a list of all the websites on which their house will be listed?

Old Today, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Do you then inform your sellers that their house will not be listed on Zillow (and maybe why it won't) and/or provide your sellers with a list of all the websites on which their house will be listed?

I am not one of the 40%. My listings are on Zillow. (Well, I just entered 9 land listings, and Zillow won't provide them for some reason.)
One client demanded Zillow entry, and I agreed. But, it is all or nothing on our MLS.
I would give sellers the choice of having listings on Z or not, but it would cost me a $500 initial MLS fee + $100/month ongoing, $1700 over the next year to customize my MLS syndication feed. And, I am not certain what the finished MLS solution would look like.

I may still do it, as it is good client service to give them as much control as possible. Heck, protecting clients from algorithmic appraisals while their house is on the market may be even better service offering.
My personal preference would be to not have my home listed on a scam site that offers algorithmic appraisals as a paid sales lead business generation model.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; Today at 05:25 AM..

Old Today, 08:40 AM

8,447 posts, read 6,637,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
as noted in another thread (the person who complained his home hadn't yet been syndicated to numerous other sites), it would be literally impossible for us to tell them ALL the sites they will appear on ... because after we syndicate out, it's beyond our general control.

Zillow's web traffic/popularity may have nothing to do with selling a home. I have a better chance of proving it doesn't than Z does of proving it helps. believe it or not, there are still plenty of people who've never heard of Zillow, or otherwise do not use it. and what if "foreclosedhomes.com" had the largest web traffic, and we were selling a non-distressed home ... I'd guess the Seller wouldn't be interested in making that site.

and yes, my listings (and my company's) are syndicated including Zillow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate