U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

2,500 posts, read 602,572 times

Advertisements

n/m
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,047,725 times
Depends on how much familiarity you may or may not have with the area before you decide to move there.

We bought a house in Williamsburg without spending any time living here beforehand. However, we had vacationed there many times and knew the area well. We also did a huge amount of research for about 2 years before we bought the house. I remember a few people on this forum getting frustrated with us because I would post various choices we had and ask for pros and cons... and then decide against that particular house and move on to another. We looked at lots and lots of neighborhoods and styles of houses before finally deciding on one. Some of that time probably would have been shortened if we had actually lived in the city before moving there. But that wasn't a practical option for us.

Last edited by Piney Creek; Yesterday at 03:17 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM

Ok, I will come back. Just don't want to deal with the bashing I will get. I live in the area now. It's the area I have wanted to move to for 12 years. Same school district.

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM

I figure we are stuck here for 10 years to life. Haha. Sounds like a prison sentence, eh?

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

10,141 posts, read 7,800,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Ok, I will come back. Just don't want to deal with the bashing I will get. I live in the area now. It's the area I have wanted to move to for 12 years. Same school district.
Why would you get bashed? What was your original question?

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Depends on how much familiarity you may or may not have with the area before you decide to move there. And, in a similar vein, on your ability and time to do research before moving somewhere.

We bought a house in Williamsburg without spending any time living here beforehand. However, we knew the area well and did a huge amount of research for about 2 years before we bought the house.

In fact I became such an expert on neighborhoods and special fatures of this town that I was asked to give a presentation on Secrets To Getting the Most Our Of Living Here at our local Newcomers Club. Even though we've only actually lived here a little over a year.
I see how my post sounded now. I am very familiar with the area.

My husband will be retiring in 8-10 years. My kids will be in college until 2030 assuming the graduate in 4 years (doubtful). So I want to stay in the home for 10 years to life.

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why would you get bashed? What was your original question?
EVERYONE gets bashed on here when the post a new thread. Anyhoo, the question was, what is the MINIMUM amount of time you would know you were going to live somewhere to buy a house?

Here's the scoop:

Husband retiring in 8-10 years
Two kids will go to college and I don't want to move out of this area before they graduate. I want them to come home where they are from if that makes sense.

We may live here for the rest of our lives. I am mid 50's and a cancer survivor. I know a lot of cancer people die in their 60's if they get it. (I have noticed this in the obits). Doesn't mean I am going to die. But there are no guarantees. An interesting side note: If you live to be 65, you are much more likely to live past 80. Most of the people who die in their 60's have cancer, as far as I can tell.

I have been looking for houses for 13 years and finally found the house I want in the neighborhood I want. I have not found one other house I have wanted to move to in all that time. Husband doesn't want to move. He thinks property values are going to decline further which they probably will. But at what point do you say you can't time the market? We could try forever. There are MANY pluses right now.

Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM

2,810 posts, read 1,964,285 times
That is very different from how long would you need to live somewhere to buy there. I knew a lot of people in the military when I was younger and many of them would buy a house if they expected to be there at least 2 years.

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

10,141 posts, read 7,800,418 times
OP, I don't think time is the big issue in your situation. Even if someone plans to stay in an area forever, things could come up that would prompt a move. Your big issue is convincing your husband to move. Property values will go up and down. No way to avoid it.

Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

1,217 posts, read 368,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
EVERYONE gets bashed on here when the post a new thread. Anyhoo, the question was, what is the MINIMUM amount of time you would know you were going to live somewhere to buy a house?

Here's the scoop:

Husband retiring in 8-10 years
Two kids will go to college and I don't want to move out of this area before they graduate. I want them to come home where they are from if that makes sense.

We may live here for the rest of our lives. I am mid 50's and a cancer survivor. I know a lot of cancer people die in their 60's if they get it. (I have noticed this in the obits). Doesn't mean I am going to die. But there are no guarantees. An interesting side note: If you live to be 65, you are much more likely to live past 80. Most of the people who die in their 60's have cancer, as far as I can tell.

I have been looking for houses for 13 years and finally found the house I want in the neighborhood I want. I have not found one other house I have wanted to move to in all that time. Husband doesn't want to move. He thinks property values are going to decline further which they probably will. But at what point do you say you can't time the market? We could try forever. There are MANY pluses right now.
So you obviously want to stay. Why is there a question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or