U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2019, 11:27 AM
 
Location: NJ
9,763 posts, read 20,668,869 times
Reputation: 7203

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatam007 View Post
***the windows are original to the house, and we made sure the buyers knew that. But they are in working order, no graying or condensation issues-yet. That being said...they ARE nearing the end of their ‘lifecycle’ technically. But the buyers had every opportunity to inspect and re-inspect every nook and cranny (and they did) when they came back for a ‘private’ more detailed tour (lasted over an hour) where the windows and foundation ‘issues’ were discussed. So in my mind they should have considered that in their asking price. Which i believe they did when they initially offered $425k and came up to $438 when we requested best/final considering we had another offer. If they are items that a lender require be remedied I would do it. Otherwise I’m thinking it’s a hard no for any cosmetic/routine maintenance requests. Like getting the chimney cleaned. We did it when we moved in ��*♀️

Carrying costs do not outweigh keeping on the market considering the hot time to list is literally starting right now. And our daughter being in school we’re in no rush to leave. We priced accordingly $450k. It’s 2586sq ft, 4br 3.5 bath house with a finished basement and a yard with no neighbors looking directly at you. We’re in a prime school district in a mature neighborhood, in Naperville-where we are the smallest on the block. Comps are selling for slightly less than our asking price with unfinished basements and no updates. Not to mention items like heated floors in the master bath and full steam shower in the finished basement, Elfa closet systems...these are not options you’ll find in most homes around here. Even the pricier ones.

I appreciate all your input, it’s certainly food for thought
My opinion as a buyer and seller, they're nickle and diming you to see what you'd offer. What did your agent say to do? I would have said either take it or leave it, we have 2 other offers and the selling season just started.

Have your agent go to both the other buyers as back up. It happened with us. Multiple offers the one we chose started doing that to us, we moved on.

You hold the cards, not them right now with it being early in the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2019, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Port St. Lucie, Fla
4,024 posts, read 6,557,767 times
Reputation: 1450
did you do an "as is" contract (which means you don't have to fix all those little things) or a straight contract?

I don't live in your area, but an inspector putting an amount on repairs doesn't sit well with me. He's not doing the repairs and you could do them yourself or have a handyman do them.

What also comes in to play is what their offer price is vs your asking price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 11:52 AM
 
17,170 posts, read 18,543,784 times
Reputation: 24925
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
did you do an "as is" contract (which means you don't have to fix all those little things) or a straight contract?

I don't live in your area, but an inspector putting an amount on repairs doesn't sit well with me. He's not doing the repairs and you could do them yourself or have a handyman do them.

What also comes in to play is what their offer price is vs your asking price?
I would assume all sales are as is. I wouldn’t list it any other way. But yes they are squeezing the seller. I would offer 1k to make it happen but if they came back with any bs demands I would walk and move on to another buyer. If the agents start cry8ng tell them to take it out of their commissions to make it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 12:08 PM
 
13,881 posts, read 12,673,606 times
Reputation: 18798
As others have said, really depends on your market. I know in Miami, I would say "no" to such a request, because I have ten other people lined up ready to buy, many will not even look at the house before they buy it.

Of course it is different if it an issue with coming into compliance to get a loan approved, I would expend funds/credit funds if it was an issue of the buyer getting approved for a loan, or if it was a matter of danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Port St. Lucie, Fla
4,024 posts, read 6,557,767 times
Reputation: 1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I would assume all sales are as is. I wouldn’t list it any other way. But yes they are squeezing the seller. I would offer 1k to make it happen but if they came back with any bs demands I would walk and move on to another buyer. If the agents start cry8ng tell them to take it out of their commissions to make it happen.
NO... all sale are NOT "as is". Straight normal purchase contracts are what you have unless you use an "as is" contract form.

You also have a Sellers Disclosure for a reason. The Seller is supposed to provide one so the Buyer will know about anything that has been done to the home since the Seller took ownership. That means any upgrades, replacements, repairs to the roof, the A/C, septic, etc. etc. etc.

If there are things that need repair or don't work and need replacement, the roof leaks, etc. these come up after an inspection. You have X number of days from contract signing to have your inspection done, otherwise, you move on without it.

Inspections can and should be done without regard for the contract being "as is" or not.

If there are things that need repair, then the difference between an "as is" or a regular contract comes in to play. With a regular contract the Seller will have to repair the items on the inspection the Buyer asks for.
An "as is" contract he does not. Either one can walk away if they disagree on what will or will not be fixed. Big items like replacing the A/C or major roof repairs can blow out a contract. This is where each side needs to agree on what will happen to go forward, or walk away from the deal.

As for the agents involved - they didn't cause the problem and it's not their responsibility to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 01:54 PM
 
Location: El paso,tx
1,640 posts, read 649,494 times
Reputation: 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
NO... all sale are NOT "as is". Straight normal purchase contracts are what you have unless you use an "as is" contract form.

You also have a Sellers Disclosure for a reason. The Seller is supposed to provide one so the Buyer will know about anything that has been done to the home since the Seller took ownership. That means any upgrades, replacements, repairs to the roof, the A/C, septic, etc. etc. etc.

If there are things that need repair or don't work and need replacement, the roof leaks, etc. these come up after an inspection. You have X number of days from contract signing to have your inspection done, otherwise, you move on without it.

Inspections can and should be done without regard for the contract being "as is" or not.

If there are things that need repair, then the difference between an "as is" or a regular contract comes in to play. With a regular contract the Seller will have to repair the items on the inspection the Buyer asks for.
An "as is" contract he does not. Either one can walk away if they disagree on what will or will not be fixed. Big items like replacing the A/C or major roof repairs can blow out a contract. This is where each side needs to agree on what will happen to go forward, or walk away from the deal.

As for the agents involved - they didn't cause the problem and it's not their responsibility to pay for it.
No sellers DON'T HAVE to repair items that are found on the inspection. They can be negotiated or seller can say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Port St. Lucie, Fla
4,024 posts, read 6,557,767 times
Reputation: 1450
the seller can say NO and the contract is dead because the Buyer walked away too. So, are you going to walk away from an accepted contract because you don't want to caulk the window or change an outlet that doesn't work?

Nobodys house is going to be perfect no matter what the Seller thinks.

Both sides can walk - both sides can say no to anything up to a point.

When I said how a normal contract vs as "as is " contract means- heck you can do whatever you want. Just depends on how much you want to buy or sell a house or how much you want to make a buyer or seller mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2019, 07:00 AM
 
5,666 posts, read 6,371,275 times
Reputation: 14500
Think of it as your offer price was $425, they offered $433 net of the $5,000 in repair items.


Sold. Sold. Sold. Sold.


Your $1500 response was very fair, but if you want to move on, swallow hard, sell the house for the $433 and don't look back. I agree the buyers are nickel diming you, but cash is cash, sold is sold, and you get on with you life for $8,000 more than your listing price.


It is a tiny bump in the road of life. Move on and don't look back (or ever answer the phone when they call. You already will have bent over backwards to address their silly list).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2019, 07:31 AM
 
2,623 posts, read 630,685 times
Reputation: 2147
What is the sales price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2019, 07:34 AM
 
Location: stepfordwife-ville
24 posts, read 16,795 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Think of it as your offer price was $425, they offered $433 net of the $5,000 in repair items.


Sold. Sold. Sold. Sold.


Your $1500 response was very fair, but if you want to move on, swallow hard, sell the house for the $433 and don't look back. I agree the buyers are nickel diming you, but cash is cash, sold is sold, and you get on with you life for $8,000 more than your listing price.


It is a tiny bump in the road of life. Move on and don't look back (or ever answer the phone when they call. You already will have bent over backwards to address their silly list).
List was $450k. Their initial offer was $425 which came up to $437 after multiple offers were received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top