Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 07:10 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatam007 View Post
Carrying costs do not outweigh keeping on the market considering the hot time to list is literally starting right now. And our daughter being in school we’re in no rush to leave.
Sounds like you really don't want to sell right now with your daughter in the middle of the school year. You might prefer a spring listing with a June close. Which makes perfect sense. If that was your intention, perhaps you listed a bit too early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 07:22 AM

24 posts, read 26,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Sounds like you really don't want to sell right now with your daughter in the middle of the school year. You might prefer a spring listing with a June close. Which makes perfect sense. If that was your intention, perhaps you listed a bit too early.
We’re closing on a new home out of state on Friday so I don’t really want a June close, I would prefer to get our daughter acclimated to the the new area/school BEFORE school is out in the hopes she makes a few friends before summer and that way we avoid having a double mortgage payments for 3 months.

However to keep the home another month or two maybe even three would mean we overlap mortagages for a month and that is well worth the price to get list price for the home which is what other sellers were offering.

I do believe the sellers are doing exactly what’s i would...ask for what you want, the worst anyone can say is no. But when I see items like a torn window screen being mentioned as part of a credit request AFTER a multiple offer situation-it just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

We countered-I was just wondering what people thought about the items being requested, considering the details I mentioned about that house.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:39 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
NO... all sale are NOT "as is". Straight normal purchase contracts are what you have unless you use an "as is" contract form.

You also have a Sellers Disclosure for a reason. The Seller is supposed to provide one so the Buyer will know about anything that has been done to the home since the Seller took ownership. That means any upgrades, replacements, repairs to the roof, the A/C, septic, etc. etc. etc.

If there are things that need repair or don't work and need replacement, the roof leaks, etc. these come up after an inspection. You have X number of days from contract signing to have your inspection done, otherwise, you move on without it.

Inspections can and should be done without regard for the contract being "as is" or not.

If there are things that need repair, then the difference between an "as is" or a regular contract comes in to play. With a regular contract the Seller will have to repair the items on the inspection the Buyer asks for.
An "as is" contract he does not. Either one can walk away if they disagree on what will or will not be fixed. Big items like replacing the A/C or major roof repairs can blow out a contract. This is where each side needs to agree on what will happen to go forward, or walk away from the deal.

As for the agents involved - they didn't cause the problem and it's not their responsibility to pay for it.
as I said...

Quote:
without knowing more of the market or situation (what was the financing and price like for other offers) or especially the period between contract and hard money...
Residential real estate contracts are different in EVERY state. There is no way for anyone to give you the best accurate advice except:

a. your Realtor (and or attorney)
b. other Realtors in your state, whatever state that might be.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
as I said...

Residential real estate contracts are different in EVERY state. There is no way for anyone to give you the best accurate advice except:

a. your Realtor (and or attorney)
b. other Realtors in your state, whatever state that might be.
Thank you...I realize all of what you’re saying. I think I was looking more for opinions on the items requested and whether our rebuttal seemed fair.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:19 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
well, the followup was aimed at others telling everyone what could and couldn't be done, when none of us is privy to the contract.

As I said before, based on the limited knowledge we have, your counter seems reasonable. Taking other steps ASAP, such as those other offers getting into a backup position, seems reasonable too. Then you figure out where this all counters out with the existing Buyer.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, the followup was aimed at others telling everyone what could and couldn't be done, when none of us is privy to the contract.

As I said before, based on the limited knowledge we have, your counter seems reasonable. Taking other steps ASAP, such as those other offers getting into a backup position, seems reasonable too. Then you figure out where this all counters out with the existing Buyer.
Gotcha’

And we have definitely reached out to previous potential buyers to advise that we would accept a back-up offer if they’re still interested. And as luck would have it another couple called just yesterday indicating their desire to put in a back-up offer. So either way Ibthink we’ll be ok. Just a waiting game now

Old 02-04-2019, 12:32 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Cash buyers trying to renegotiate the selling price because of a list of minor repairs seems fairly standard around here.

One of our neighbors sold their house three times before the last buyers realized that what they offered was what they were going to pay.

The $1500 rebate seems reasonable. Ditto the $1000 with a year's paid for home warranty.

Be sure your real estate agent lets theirs know that you are ready to move on to back up-offers. Time's a wasting.

Please let us know how it works out.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:23 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
Yes... time is moving and you aren't. You have a $13,000 difference from asking to offer price. Split the difference and call it a day...

and no, nobody here has seen your house or know anything about it, but I don't think anyone here is looking for you to hold on and wait....for anything, or your "backup" that hasn't made an offer yet. People tend to say... oh, nevermind ...at some point and I think you both have probably reached it.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:14 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Thank you...I realize all of what you’re saying. I think I was looking more for opinions on the items requested and whether our rebuttal seemed fair.
None of the items seemed a deal breaker to me and several seemed part of buying a "used" house as opposed to new construction.

Having won the bidding war, they are now trying to negotiate down the price.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:53 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
Quote:
We’re closing on a new home out of state on Friday so I don’t really want a June close, I would prefer to get our daughter acclimated to the the new area/school BEFORE school is out in the hopes she makes a few friends before summer and that way we avoid having a double mortgage payments for 3 months.

However to keep the home another month or two maybe even three would mean we overlap mortagages for a month and that is well worth the price to get list price for the home which is what other sellers were offering.

I do believe the sellers are doing exactly what’s i would...ask for what you want, the worst anyone can say is no. But when I see items like a torn window screen being mentioned as part of a credit request AFTER a multiple offer situation-it just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

We countered-I was just wondering what people thought about the items being requested, considering the details I mentioned about that house.
Oh ok. If it was me, I would definitely just want to get rid of the house now then and move on with my life and get my daughter into school ASAP so she has more time to meet people this year.

If you have lots of other offers, then it sounds like it will work out either way.

Good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate