U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 12:12 AM

8,963 posts, read 10,928,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post
What are the health hazards of living in close proximity to a Wastewater treatment plant (WWTP)? Is there usually a disgusting odor in the air when you live close to it
First things first. The title says "Sewage" but your question refers to "WasteWater". In many areas they are two different operations. Even within each there could be a different level a function of the process plants operates under. So, before anyone can answer the question intelligently, you need to provide some details of specifically what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 08:49 AM

6,164 posts, read 7,376,015 times
I can't imagine any health hazards as those plants are regulated. If there is some sort of failure, there might be a hazard if untreated sewage seeps into the ground and spreads to neighboring properties.

Depending on the plant, the smell is not going to be constant. It will be occasional. There is some kind of sewage plant near a highway I frequently drive on. A couple of times a year it smells when driving past. I've been to a home nearby though and never noticed any odor.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:02 PM

29 posts, read 8,705 times
We live in Illinois, just across the river from St Louis MO. One of the townships in our area has a sewage treatment facility located in a commercial area near a bunch of car dealerships. I would say that you can smell the stench on some level every day between May and October. During the colder months you can only smell it a couple of days each week. But OMG - watch out for the days they "turn the tanks." It could gag a maggot!!!!

I cannot believe anyone would want to live near the place but most of the houses that get the worst of it are older and smaller and not kept up. I imagine the tradeoff of a cheap place to live is that you have to deal with this.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:41 PM

25,517 posts, read 60,960,338 times
Bio-toxins everywhere. You will have dark days. Normally only people with terminal diseases and less than 6 months to live would even consider a house within a half mile of a sewage treatment facility. Generally you will not survive a year after moving in. If you have high tension electric lines overhead the electromagnetic field (emf) amplifies the bio toxins and make them go right to your brain. Also breathing drywall dust can mix with the bio-toxins and carry the mass right into your brain cells from your lungs. Before you know it, you will be repeatedly posting absurd made up concerns over and over again on CD. Do not become one of those zombie posters, stay away from sewer plants, drywall dust and anything that generates EMF.

Have you ever met a person who actually works in a seer plant? No. Why? Because they are all dead.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:58 PM

5,678 posts, read 3,235,763 times
Have you heard of The Valley of the Jolly Green Giant? It's a real place located in LeSueur, MN.

For years they treated their sewage down in that valley next to the Blue Earth River. A trip to the Twin Cities from the western half of the state required a drive through and nearly always someone in the car would make the old, familiar joke, "I smell "LeSewer." It truly was abominable and I remember often holding my breath as we went by.

I used to wax philosophical - "Do you know that what used to be inside the butts of the people who live over there is now inside your nose?" Not a pleasant thought and good reason to hold one's breath.

Fortunately they have upgraded their system. It would be interesting to see health stats for the people who lived there, though.

Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

25,517 posts, read 60,960,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Have you heard of The Valley of the Jolly Green Giant? It's a real place located in LeSueur, MN.

For years they treated their sewage down in that valley next to the Blue Earth River. A trip to the Twin Cities from the western half of the state required a drive through and nearly always someone in the car would make the old, familiar joke, "I smell "LeSewer." It truly was abominable and I remember often holding my breath as we went by.

I
Those people who drove through there are all dead now.

BTW is a sewer plan is significantly smelly, it is malfunctioning.

Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

155 posts, read 22,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Those people who drove through there are all dead now.

BTW is a sewer plan is significantly smelly, it is malfunctioning.
They dead From hydrogen sulfide poisoning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate