U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 10:51 AM

147 posts, read 18,548 times

Advertisements

What are the health hazards of living in close proximity to a Wastewater treatment plant (WWTP)? Is there usually a disgusting odor in the air when you live close to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 12:09 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,584,217 times
What kind of treatment plant? Do they treat only liquid waste? What do you consider close proximity?

I lived in Las Vegas for 2 years and frequented the Bird Preserve in the City of Henderson. You had to drive through the plant to get to the preserve, but it was just waste water. Not much of a smell. I can't imagine people would want to spend a day looking at birds if it stunk. I even visited in the summer time.

Probably not a good idea for resale though.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:32 PM

13,831 posts, read 32,077,563 times
Out here we have some neighborhoods that are near the treatment plant and they are in the "odor overlay zone." They get a sulfur smell a handful of times a year when the wind blows that way.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:40 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,027,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
What kind of treatment plant? Do they treat only liquid waste? What do you consider close proximity?

I lived in Las Vegas for 2 years and frequented the Bird Preserve in the City of Henderson. You had to drive through the plant to get to the preserve, but it was just waste water. Not much of a smell. I can't imagine people would want to spend a day looking at birds if it stunk. I even visited in the summer time.

Probably not a good idea for resale though.
I have seen such things elsewhere in the west. That is, lagoons of treated water. The "reclaimed" water has, as far as I can tell, no smell.

A house nearby would presumably be less desirable even if there is no discernible smell. So it would cost less to buy, and upon resale would sell for less.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:03 PM

2,848 posts, read 1,973,697 times
I live several blocks from such a treatment plant and seldom if ever get any smell from it, HOWEVER we do often get smell from a couple towns down the river, it smells a lot like heating exhaust. Only happens with certain inversion layers due to weather.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:52 PM

5,355 posts, read 2,419,324 times
A town 30 miles away....paper mill is notorious for its less then pleasant aromatic fumes. ..particularly in summer heat.

My place of employ is three blocks from the treatment plant. Yup..it's a stinker in the spring and summer. Think skunk.
Because it's a hotel...the guest get an extra whiff. We placed an air system to decipate it. Yet sure enough we get that one or two guest demanding refunds for this ' aromatic ammenity' they didn't want! Doesn't matter how over the top in service...free food...many free perks! They will tunnel vision and expect a free stay. Sometimes stinking thinking is more the culprit. Not the location of the plant.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:02 PM

33,001 posts, read 40,446,080 times
Short course on sewage treatment:

MWRA - How the Sewer System Works

What you need to do is buy the house, at a price that takes its location into consideration, and immediately begin a social media campaign to have the facility closed even though it's been there for decades and predates your house by nearly as long and you knew it was there when you bought.

At least that's what happens here.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:33 PM

6,137 posts, read 7,327,342 times
If the treatment plant is fully covered it is less likely to release noxious odors. Many of the more recent builds, especially if they are near areas expecting population growth, have covered facilities and are pretty well engineered. If you are concerned though, you might be able to visit the plant and ask for a tour or a description of how they keep odors down.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:10 PM

1,104 posts, read 316,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post
What are the health hazards of living in close proximity to a Wastewater treatment plant (WWTP)? Is there usually a disgusting odor in the air when you live close to it
I did, while growing up (in a nicer area, oddly enough). Sometimes it smelled, but rarely.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:26 PM

384 posts, read 228,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
If the treatment plant is fully covered it is less likely to release noxious odors. Many of the more recent builds, especially if they are near areas expecting population growth, have covered facilities and are pretty well engineered. If you are concerned though, you might be able to visit the plant and ask for a tour or a description of how they keep odors down.
This. Old plants smell really bad. New plants or ones that have been modernized generally don't. You can call the wastewater department and ask them what kind of technology they are using and when the plant was last modernized and if there are any future plans to do so.

The reality is that wastewater treatment standards have gone way up in the last 20 years(as have costs) so many urban plants that used to smell horrible now are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate