U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 11:32 AM

11 posts, read 2,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I don't understand what you're trying to do here. Are you trying to get a job spending and managing other peoples money that are investing in homes?
Not necessarily that-anything that would involve managing or acquisitions would work... Even workin gin foreclosures, notes ..Im trying to think..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 11:33 AM

Default career advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, I suppose it depends on who you've been contacting, and a little more info on what this "valuing and underwriting experience" is.

I've seen "investor assistant" advertised on roadside signs and maybe even on the web over the past several years. "Learn the business while you earn $10's of thousands of dollars!"

Is that the kind of people you've been contacting?
No-certainly not. Ive stopped even looking at craigslist because of that. Im primarily contacting people that know me somewhat..

Old 02-10-2019, 11:34 AM

Default Hi-Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Hands on experience is obviously IMO the best route but unfortunately we are way beyond that anymore these days, and again IMO without merit. Without verifiable training (degrees, licensing, etc.) you will most likely be where you are unless you are real lucky.
I have some degrees and licenses.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:24 PM

8,969 posts, read 17,756,892 times
Get your license and then you can start fishing for investors or manage their rentals, I guess?

Old 02-11-2019, 04:10 AM

8,775 posts, read 7,753,327 times
You have 5 years experience, but what you have is not applicable to what you say you want to get into. Of course you are not getting any replies.

On top of that, they are going to thing you are making a lot more money than taking a job as a property manager managing an apartment house will pay as an example, and just blow your application off.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You have 5 years experience, but what you have is not applicable to what you say you want to get into. Of course you are not getting any replies.

On top of that, they are going to thing you are making a lot more money than taking a job as a property manager managing an apartment house will pay as an example, and just blow your application off.

Yup your right. In managing they either want experience or a bottom level gopher... I just gotta figure something out..

Old 02-11-2019, 10:40 AM

43 posts, read 16,263 times
I guess I am just confused why you don't buy a single or Multi-Family home with a little down payment and find a way to fill up the units?
You will gain experience in managing rentals and become more valuable to others wishing to pay you to do the same.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandRapidsNative View Post
I guess I am just confused why you don't buy a single or Multi-Family home with a little down payment and find a way to fill up the units?
You will gain experience in managing rentals and become more valuable to others wishing to pay you to do the same.
My mind is not in dealing with single family homesright now-Id rather work for someone involved in commercial real estate.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:20 AM

15,840 posts, read 29,858,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyboy221 View Post
Hey all,

I wanted some input or advice. Ive been working in valuations and underwriting over past few years. I had wanted to get more involved in hands-on investing and managing. I contacted investors, management companies etc.. Surprisingly, even with some of my knowledge I couldn't land anything. Now Ive been thinking of brokering which will get me more experience in that area. Unfortunately, I cant help thinking theres a better way. Id have to attain sales license and put in alot of time probably before closing anything and Im not excited about doing that line of work anyways.

What else can I possibly do that I havent considered? Theres gotta be something!..TIA
In Missouri no license is required to sell for a contractor. You might try that approach if laws where you live are similar.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:32 PM

386 posts, read 233,486 times
So I own and run a fully integrated commercial company and own the properties we manage. Judging by what you say I'm the kind of company you'd probably want to work for. There are maybe a half dozen firms my size or bigger in 300,000 person market. Of those all but two are similar in an owner manager boss and a couple staff running primarily the owners stuff and maybe doing brokerage work on the side. There are two, count em, two third party commercial management companies of any note and they too have a primary person who owns it and maybe a handful of managers between them. In other words there aren't a ton of these companies and jobs out there and half the upper level jobs are the owners.

That said there are three primary job types.

1. Accounting- these folks usually come from banks when mergers and downsizing happens or start as book keepers and move up.

2. Leasing agent- All the ones I've ever had started as an assistant or had a license beforehand and sold houses or commercial.

3. Property/Operations Managers have either been an assistant, a residential manager or had a construction management background.

In most shops 2 and 3 are actually merged jobs with one person doing all of it on a property. That's especially true in third party management.

Small and medium real estate companies are incredibly flat. At best three levels, 1. assistants 2. managers, accountants, agents 3. owner.

Doing work at a bank on real estate transactions doesn't greatly help you in getting those middle positions.

Now the good news. Entry level jobs matter in commercial real estate. Our lowest paying customers spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars a year with us. We call our receptionist our "Chief Officer of First Impressions". Half the office started in that chair, including me. It's where you learn the pace and flow of the business and what happens. It also gives you the opportunity to volunteer for work that'll let you move up later. There is endless possible work in a real estate firm so if you are a self starter you'll outgrow the job quickly. It isn't being the fry cook at a fast food place.

Finance as a stand alone function is almost always an owner level portfolio unless the company is very large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or