U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 03:35 AM

4 posts, read 555 times

Advertisements

True! A a Real estate blogger, I use high quality photos taken from my digital camera personally.

BTW,

Stephanie here!!

A new member to this forum!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 05:43 AM

1,020 posts, read 465,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Poor Photos = Good Deals. More often than one might suspect.
Iím convinced we only got this house for the price we did because of the atrocious photos. Dark, boring, didnít show the amazing neighborhood. It was a FSBO and we obtained it for 15k under comp market value, after almost not even looking at it ourselves. In a hot market like this area it should have been s bidding war like the other houses we lost out on, but the bad photos cut down significant amounts of interest. Our gain, Iíd say.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:46 AM

32,374 posts, read 56,591,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
Iím convinced we only got this house for the price we did because of the atrocious photos. Dark, boring, didnít show the amazing neighborhood. It was a FSBO and we obtained it for 15k under comp market value, after almost not even looking at it ourselves. In a hot market like this area it should have been s bidding war like the other houses we lost out on, but the bad photos cut down significant amounts of interest. Our gain, Iíd say.

Yup.
Looking at stuff that other folks won't for odd reasons, often uncovers a gem.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:32 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,140,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I agree, photos are great. The more, the better. The only thing I don't care is when they overdue Photoshop. It's one thing to brighten up a picture but it's another thing to make it look like it's something it's not.

I definitely agree. The good news is I see less and less of that lately.

I think a lot of realtors have realized good photos taken from flattering angles are important, and a little bit of enhancement is fine. There's a point, though, where you cross the PhotoShop line into being deceptive and that backfires.

When I first started looking through listings three years ago, it was just starting to get a little out of hand. PhotoShop and artsy effects such as photos taken at funny angles were getting to a point where it was really annoying. I stopped looking at listings from a few realtors who were chronic offenders. Fortunately, the message seems to have been received. I see beautiful, but also realistic shots these days. That's good to see.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:48 AM

2,398 posts, read 1,143,336 times
I find the best pictures are when the realtor has a photographer to take them, you know, someone who actually knows what they are doing with lighting etc. Even when we listed our home ourselves on the flat-fee MLS, I hired a photographer. Worth the money.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:56 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,302,076 times
What I hate about pics is when someone/a builder is selling a house, and they use the model house pictures as the pictures instead of the actual house. For some reason, I automatically click X. I want to see the home itself, not the model version.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:00 AM

4,494 posts, read 2,461,230 times
Of course today, the photos are what makes people want to see a home.

We see both ends of the 'wrong' spectrum, of course... dark blurry pictures all the way to over-HDR'd pictures that look like a video game.

You want to make it look good, but you certainly don't want people to be disappointed when they get there and see it in person.

The right answer is in the middle of course: clear, well lit photos that show what the place actually looks like.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:25 PM

1,459 posts, read 876,876 times
We sold a home FSBO but we made a special emphasis on the photographs. We borrowed a friend's DSLR camera, but the photos were still coming out too dark. I spent $30 on an adjustable external flash and took photos of each room at different flash settings. The results were night and day. It looked like we hired a pro, and we got tons of interest in a short time. The house was under contract in just a couple of weeks, one offer was full ask and one was $7k over ask. We ended up taking the full ask offer as the $7k over ask offer also came with a requirement that we pay the buyer's agent a split and that pushed it slightly under the full ask offer.

Anyway, the photos made a huge difference. I also spent $25 with an online service that creates floorplans from sketches. It was great- I think a lot of buyer (myself included) really like floorplans on the photos.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:55 PM

10,507 posts, read 14,540,911 times
Two photo pet peeves that agents need to pay attention to:

#1 Put the danged toilet seat(s) down; and

#2 Don't stand in front of the mirror(s) while taking the photo

Old 02-06-2019, 01:57 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,591,902 times
My latest find... one seller must have a collection of hats. There was a hat (sometimes two!) in EVERY picture. Even in the bathroom, laundry room and outside!! Dangling over the edge of a chair, propped up on the side of a sofa, in the middle of the dining room table. I could NOT get the hats out of my mind and did not even try to "look" at the property.

Another one was pictures of an empty house (flip), the decorator put vases of flowers on the floor of the shower stall with rolled up towels beside it. Again, it looked so odd I couldn't think of anything else.

I just want to see the property!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or