U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 05:04 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,053,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I will definitely ask my realtor about this again. It would certainly make our lives easier.
call your title company, I'm confident they'll agree it's an option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 05:04 PM

2,599 posts, read 1,145,790 times
Out of curiosity, is there any limit to how soon before closing a seller can sign their side of the paperwork? The last repair is being done Thursday, could I have this signed this Friday?

Old 02-06-2019, 05:13 PM

4,498 posts, read 2,465,131 times
In our area, I think sellers can sign as soon as the paperwork is ready at the title company.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:22 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,053,738 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, is there any limit to how soon before closing a seller can sign their side of the paperwork? The last repair is being done Thursday, could I have this signed this Friday?
I've had clients sign 10+ days out, they just have to be prepared for a possible last minute change to some of the paperwork (once the buyers final numbers etc come in). In cases like that, the title companies I've worked with are fine with an email confirming and acknowledging the change.

It will likely depend on your title company and their policies. The one I tend to work with a lot up here (Monarch) is super flexible

Old 02-06-2019, 09:02 PM

976 posts, read 621,676 times
The meteorologists just barely get it right over 2-3 days, much less a week out. Usually when they predict a big storm, nothing happens. I'd be more worried if they said it was going to be warm and sunny.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:20 AM

8,196 posts, read 14,555,818 times
There's absolutely no reason why the closing cannot be handled long distance. We did it from NYC when we bought our retirement home in TN. All documents were signed ON LINE. The only hitch was the deed description of the property was wrong and after 3 attempts to explain to our attorney, we decided to take a last minute flight down and straighten it out. It took another 3 tries to get the deed correct and only got it done when I informed them I had been a real estate paralegal.

If you opt for the long distance closing, either fedex or other, make sure you get a copy of the deed in advance.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:24 AM

Thanks for all the options. Looks like the weather guys have now dialed back the prediction quite a bit, so the original plan is once again doable. I don't know why I let a forecast spook me, it's not the first time they've made some sort of dramatic announcement like that only to be completely wrong. I guess closings just make me a little nervous. If a bad snow storm returns to the prediction, we'll insist on the fed ex option. My realtor hates this idea. Hates it, hates it, hates it. Not sure what caused this hatred, but she has grudgingly admitted we could do it that way if we insist. Thanks for letting me know this was an option. And yes, we'll be careful to make sure all i's are dotted and t's are crossed properly.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:26 AM

203 posts, read 49,134 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the options. Looks like the weather guys have now dialed back the prediction quite a bit, so the original plan is still doable. If a bad snow storm returns to the prediction, we'll insist on the fed ex option. My realtor hates this idea. Hates it, hates it, hates it. Not sure what caused this hatred, but she has grudgingly admitted we could do it that way if we insist. Thanks for letting me know this was an option. And yes, we'll be careful to make sure all i's are dotted and t's are crossed properly.
Why are you allowing an agent to dictate the process? Their job is to facilitate and advise. Just because they hate something doesn’t make that impossible.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
Why are you allowing an agent to dictate the process? Their job is to facilitate and advise. Just because they hate something doesn’t make that impossible.

True, but I usually allow professionals to tell me the best way to do things like this. Since it's her profession.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:43 AM

8,377 posts, read 6,582,840 times
Quote:
That's allowed? Our realtor was adamant that at least one of us had to physically be present at the title company. I would definitely LOVE to handle it all from here and FedEx it back.
it all depends on law and custom in VA, and even I suppose the closing entity - title company or attorney. Your Realtor and/or that closing agent should be able to explain it to you in 5 minutes or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or