U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 PM

939 posts, read 475,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Im a millennial and I would much rather have a McMansion than a McModern.
But would you rather have a normal home over a McMansion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 11:40 PM

1,139 posts, read 725,457 times
I'm not understanding, it's still a McMansion, it just looks different. The article doesn't state the typical sq footage of the McModern homes, but they're probably just as big. And yes, flat roofs suck, but I like modern design and always have.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 AM

16,749 posts, read 8,678,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
https://www.businessinsider.com/mill...cmodern-2017-8

https://www.treehugger.com/green-arc...mcmoderns.html

Have you noticed an increase in more modern style housing developments?
Yes, wife and I like the Mcmodern look and bought one built in 2015...we really like it.

Old Yesterday, 05:15 AM

2,443 posts, read 1,090,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...38044964_zpid/ and https://www.zillow.com/homes/recentl...ect/12_zm/2_p/

I guess this could be called a McModern (this was built in an expensive town!!)? I've been seeing a lot of these types around NJ. I don't think they are all necessarily with flat lines.

Those are both sharp looking.

Of course, looking at a single house only gives a glimpse of what whole neighborhoods with a few hundred of these lined up in a row will look like.

To get a more realistic picture, you have to add things that you usually find in new subdivisions. Not bad details, by the way, just picturing a more realistic view than what you find in idealized real estate listings. Yards with bare spots and trees that have just been planted. Cars in a few driveways, and cars & recycle bins out in the streets. Curtains or blinds in the windows. (As stunning as uncovered windows may be, they aren't realistic when people try to live in these houses.) Perhaps a few water streaks down the sides of the houses, a natural thing that seems to happen with flat-roofed buildings. Not bad details, just little things that give the full picture.

Taking such details into account, I'll give it a thumbs up, flat roofs and all. I can imagine driving down a whole street of these at sunset, and seeing the colors of the sky reflecting in the windows. Could be stunning.

ps. It's interesting to note both of these homes are huge. Over 4000 sf. So I guess big homes are still popular, they just have a new design. Also, the first house has been for sale for 254 days. So, while coming into vogue they aren't yet flying off the rack. I can see that changing in years to come, though, as these grow in popularity.

Last edited by Piney Creek; Yesterday at 05:57 AM..

Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
But would you rather have a normal home over a McMansion?

A thought to ponder: what is a normal home?

The definition of normal is "conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected." That sounds like a Mcmansion to me.

Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,103,154 times
I for one would much prefer a McRowhome in the city, a 50's style McCapeCod, or even a 80's era McSplitEntry over one of those cookie cutter McMansions.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
I for one would much prefer a McRowhome in the city, a 50's style McCapeCod, or even a 80's era McSplitEntry over one of those cookie cutter McMansions.

LOL. loving the names. And while we're at it, maybe Starbucks, KFC or Taco Bell can play. Why should McDonald's have all the fun? VenteSplitEntry anyone? FingerLickin'CapeCod? AmericaRunsOnRowHouses?

Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM

4,211 posts, read 1,812,117 times
For interior photos, make sure to show some plastic trash cans out in the middle of rooms catching the leaks from the flat roofs.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

2,666 posts, read 1,293,750 times
Honestly, I don't see a difference between a McModern and a McMansion. Moderns just have flatter and boxier designs (didn't this style originate in the 60's, though?).

I'm a millennial though and I could go either McModern or McMansion.

I also think articles like this are silly because the oldest millennial's are in their mid-30s? The only reason why I'd want a SF house that's 3500+ SF is if I have 3-4 kids who were teenagers, but that wouldn't even happen until I'm in my late 40's at the earliest, so whenever I see articles wondering why millenials aren't buying bigger houses....that's the main reason why. For most younger couples, a townhouse or a condo will suit just fine for now.

Pretty soon, we'll see articles being like 'Why are generation Z not buying homes?"....cause...they're 22 at the oldest?

Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM

3,454 posts, read 1,568,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Nothing practical about flat roofs if you live where it snows.
You can build a snowman or build a sledding ramp on a flat roof. ... as some kids with parents did on our condo's roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or