Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 04:05 PM

595 posts, read 1,557,913 times

Advertisements

https://www.businessinsider.com/mill...cmodern-2017-8

https://www.treehugger.com/green-arc...mcmoderns.html

Have you noticed an increase in more modern style housing developments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 04:09 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
You had to start a new thread when this would have fit in to you previous one?

Old 02-07-2019, 04:36 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Interesting looking buildings. It must be more of a west coast thing, the new construction out my way doesn't have that particular look (yet, any way) and I've never heard this term before. But lots of trends start in the west, it'll be fun to see if they spread out my way as well.

I'm not sure you can say Millennials are "ditching cookie cutter houses", by the way, since these are also cookie cutter designs. I think we have to face the reality that cookie cutter houses are going to be the norm no matter what design changes come along. Especially if an entire generation is embracing this design, because let's face it, if this is the only kind of house Millennials want to buy, that means you're going to have entire developments of these houses. Very few first time buyers can afford to hire an architect, no matter how much they may say they hate the idea of living in a cookie cutter. It also seems like an overstatement to say Millennials as a group are "ditching McMansions for McModerns" considering I see hundreds, if not thousands, of McMansions still being built. Somebody is buying them, whether fashionable or not. Even in the west.

But all that aside, it's nice to see a new design emerging and I hope we see more of them. I wish they could come up with a name that was a little more original, but maybe that will emerge over time.

I like the look, with it's square cut, flat roofs, and fewer embellishments, and even though it's not my personal taste I can see the attraction. I especially like the windows, and I definitely like them better than the tiny houses, which at one point were being predicted as a possible big wave of the future. I'm not sure I like the practicality of flat roofs, but I'm sure builders will figure that one out as this design becomes more popular.

ps. Although an interesting article, I'm not sure Treehugger is the best source of reliable real estate information. Do you have any others?

Last edited by Piney Creek; 02-07-2019 at 05:23 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 05:09 PM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times

The second article was a gem - Treehugger always has interesting things to say.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:28 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
The name of the game today in house design is "cheap and quick". I don't think anyone loves the mass produced houses today. They are repetitive of just a couple design elements chosen because they are easy for framers to put up.

So whether the style is contemporary or modern they are doomed to be as boring as all get out. And as the treehugger article points out new design houses, no matter the style, totally ignore the "rules" of balance and proportion that in the past made looking at individual homes so satisfying. Today you may as well throw up boxes with little tented roofs since they almost are identical. All the personality of a home ends up being on the inside and even that has become overly predictable. Are we losing the ability to discern what is attractive? Or have buyers just had to give up since there is nothing beautiful out there.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:33 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Interesting looking buildings. It must be more of a west coast thing, the new construction out my way doesn't have that particular look (yet, any way) and I've never heard this term before. But lots of trends start in the west, it'll be fun to see if they spread out my way as well.

I'm not sure you can say Millennials are "ditching cookie cutter houses", by the way, since these are also cookie cutter designs. I think we have to face the reality that cookie cutter houses are going to be the norm no matter what design changes come along. Especially if an entire generation is embracing this design, because let's face it, if this is the only kind of house Millennials want to buy, that means you're going to have entire developments of these houses. Very few first time buyers can afford to hire an architect, no matter how much they may say they hate the idea of living in a cookie cutter. It also seems like an overstatement to say Millennials as a group are "ditching McMansions for McModerns" considering I see hundreds, if not thousands, of McMansions still being built. Somebody is buying them, whether fashionable or not. Even in the west.

But all that aside, it's nice to see a new design emerging and I hope we see more of them. I wish they could come up with a name that was a little more original, but maybe that will emerge over time.

I like the look, with it's square cut, flat roofs, and fewer embellishments, and even though it's not my personal taste I can see the attraction. I especially like the windows, and I definitely like them better than the tiny houses, which at one point were being predicted as a possible big wave of the future. I'm not sure I like the practicality of flat roofs, but I'm sure builders will figure that one out as this design becomes more popular.

ps. Although an interesting article, I'm not sure Treehugger is the best source of reliable real estate information. Do you have any others?
Nothing practical about flat roofs if you live where it snows.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:01 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Nothing practical about flat roofs if you live where it snows.

Or rains.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:33 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Boxy looking houses like that wouldn’t sell very well where I live. Pseudo-craftsman style seems to be the latest thing here.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:36 PM

595 posts, read 1,557,913 times
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...38044964_zpid/ and https://www.zillow.com/homes/recentl...ect/12_zm/2_p/

I guess this could be called a McModern (this was built in an expensive town!!)? I've been seeing a lot of these types around NJ. I don't think they are all necessarily with flat lines.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:00 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Im a millennial and I would much rather have a McMansion than a McModern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate