U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Living next to or near a cemetery.
OK for the most part 33 70.21%
Kind of depressing 3 6.38%
Something else (explain in comments) 11 23.40%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM

219 posts, read 122,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
There's also something about a cemetery that makes me feel connected to history, and a little bit more rooted to the earth. Sometimes when you live out in the suburbs, especially if you're in one of those shiny new developments where every house was built at the same time, you can get this strange feeling like that's the alpha and omega of all that ever existed there. It's nice to have this reminder that people were living there long before some developer arrived.
This and your previous post sum up my thoughts. Of course, I've never lived next to a cemetary, so I don't know how much it would actually interfere with everyday life. I have never seen a cemetary in active use that was small enough and close enough to residential neighbors for their activities to interfere with a burial, though. Most of the ceremony generally takes place before reaching the burial site, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

6,550 posts, read 3,635,156 times
I see them as great neighbors. Quiet. Well maintained landscaping.

Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

2,461 posts, read 1,097,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There probably won' be a bunch of junkies shooting up or homeless pooping on the grass like there are in parks.

True, especially in those cities where the cemeteries are better patrolled than the parks at night.

Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

5,384 posts, read 2,086,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I love cemeteries.

I see them as hopeful places, a last monument of remembrance for a person who once lived here just as we all are doing right now.
And a lot of those monuments were placed for people who were beloved, by those who loved and honored them. Reverence, history, memory, respect, contemplation. Seems like the majority of vibes would be good, not bad.

Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM

4,465 posts, read 2,437,040 times
Cemeteries are great neighbors.... You can guarantee nothing else will ever go in there.

Quiet well kept green space, nice walking paths... And a connection with human history in your town.

Would not hesitate to buy or live near one.

Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

8,330 posts, read 6,550,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'm one of the least spiritual people you'll ever meet, and an atheist to boot. I have no problems walking past a cemetery, even at night. After all, on average, the living are more dangerous than the deceased. But even so, I wouldn't feel comfortable living near one. I'd rather get my quietness from living next to a forest preserve or a river. With that said, cemeteries are a sign of a civilized society. I like the notion that the dead have a dignified, memorable place to be buried in, where their graves are watched over by cemetery workers and the local police, and visited by the descendants.

That's pretty much why I don't feel comfortable living next to a cemetery, active or inactive. It almost feels like a cognitive dissonance to be having a day-drinking party when a funeral is happening less than 1000 feet away. In my case, it's a high-rise condominium, so at least I'm not on ground level where the funeral is. But still.

has anyone said before "You're the embodiment of a stereotypical Millenial"?

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

Quote:
It almost feels like a cognitive dissonance to be having a day-drinking party when a funeral is happening less than 1000 feet away. In my case, it's a high-rise condominium, so at least I'm not on ground level where the funeral is. But still.

FWIW, no matter what's next door, you're bound to have a cognitive dissonance with something near your building at some point or another. That's part of living in an urban area.

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

8,267 posts, read 7,911,617 times
It wouldn't bother me at all. Although I have never lived next to a cemetery, I once had an apartment on top of a funeral home. No issues there, and a cemetery would provide additional green space.

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

Quote:
It almost feels like a cognitive dissonance to be having a day-drinking party when a funeral is happening less than 1000 feet away. In my case, it's a high-rise condominium, so at least I'm not on ground level where the funeral is. But still.

On the other hand, if you drink too much and get really sick, you can look out at the funeral and realize you're still better off than that guy...

Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

33,059 posts, read 40,494,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Cemeteries are great neighbors.... You can guarantee nothing else will ever go in there.

Quiet well kept green space, nice walking paths... And a connection with human history in your town.

Would not hesitate to buy or live near one.
Not always. You get a developer with enough juice the cemetery gets moved.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...rican-american

Not the one I was looking for.

This is.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.97b2c0f39077

And this

https://www.washingtonpost.com

Sorry if there's a paywall. Bezos needs the revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or