U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Living next to or near a cemetery.
OK for the most part 45 71.43%
Kind of depressing 3 4.76%
Something else (explain in comments) 15 23.81%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM

960 posts, read 357,757 times

Advertisements

I know of at least two very upscale condominium complexes, one of which is in Paramus NJ and it’s directly across the street from a huge cemetery. They are both located in a great area, naturally wooded and just a short distance from the heart of Paramus and all of the amenities this area has to offer as well as it’s proximity to NYC.

It may not be everyone’s dream residence, however, it’s very exclusive, in a beautiful area and one where there are lots of great job opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM

8,009 posts, read 2,541,823 times
Better to live next to a cemetery, than a church. If you want to sunbathe in your backyard in the raw, the residents of the cemetery never complain.

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

12,145 posts, read 16,160,311 times
A cemetery would provide the best neighbors you could possibly find but, even if the folks crawled out of their graves and silently partied all night, better a home by a huge cemetery than beside a huge whirling wind turbine.

Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM

16,170 posts, read 24,751,333 times
I never thought of it in terms of living your life while there might be a funeral going on. That's a good point. Better than worrying about a bunch of bones.

Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM

2,535 posts, read 1,058,573 times
I've lived next to a cemetery and never had an issue with it; we loved all of the wildlife that we had which lived in the park-like setting. I didn't really view the cemetery as being a depressing place; it was more of a place of rest to me and where people had put up tributes to remember loved ones. It was well-kept and quiet; the only traffic we got was people who came to visit and they were not there to party or anything. This particular cemetery had some unique specimen trees and very old headstones so was also interesting to explore.

I did run into the situation of a funeral going on while I was getting ready to do something outdoors once or twice so simply went back in the house. I would have felt funny working in the garden or swimming in view of the funeral party given they were only about 50 feet away the first time.

The only thing that I wouldn't live near would be a hog farm of any size. I also wouldn't be keen on living armpit to arse in a crowded city but a cemetery would be the least of my worries.

Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM

807 posts, read 204,693 times
It wouldn't bother me in the least. Also keep in mind that unless you are the first person to live in your home that it is possible that someone might have died in it. That doesn't bother me either.

Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM

3,218 posts, read 1,392,094 times
What about living next to a pet sematary?

Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM

472 posts, read 468,173 times
I live close to a church and a cemetery. I have no problems at all with it. It is well maintained and very peaceful. Lots of people around here dying to get in.

Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM

4,217 posts, read 1,816,312 times
Personally I would not hesitate to live next to a cemetery. However, I probably wouldn't buy a house there just because should I need to sell, there are a lot of people who specifically wouldn't want to buy such a house. If I were to inherit such a house I would not have any concerns.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM

469 posts, read 1,054,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I know of at least two very upscale condominium complexes, one of which is in Paramus NJ and itís directly across the street from a huge cemetery. They are both located in a great area, naturally wooded and just a short distance from the heart of Paramus and all of the amenities this area has to offer as well as itís proximity to NYC.

It may not be everyoneís dream residence, however, itís very exclusive, in a beautiful area and one where there are lots of great job opportunities.
the one thing about that area is that you dont see any tombstones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or