U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 08:23 PM

11 posts, read 2,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think there is a failure somewhere to understand or explain what's happening with this listing. I know how it works in our market, and our MLS, but I don't know and can't make sense of what has happened here. We don't know if the OP's home is listed incorrectly, or if the OP is searching incorrectly for it, or both!

I don't know where the fault is, but we have a client/customer here who does not understand what is happening with their own home listing and that's a problem.

OP - I think the best advice might be for you to call the broker in charge at the agency you signed with... someone local who belongs to your MLS and understands the systems and documents you have likely signed, and ask them what is happening with your listing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I'm a little confused by this. Whether it's listed on remax.ca or not, your house is listed on the MLS and presumably people are looking at it. If the realtor calls you this morning and says she has an offer, are you going to say "Too bad, I didn't see my listing on remax.ca and you said it would be there, so I don't want the offer"?

Is there a bigger reason you want to cancel the contract? Or, is there a reason you changed your mind about wanting to sell the house right now?

If not, cancelling a contract at this point for a reason like that seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Plus, you might miss out on a lot of the spring selling season and end up with a smaller pool of buyers. If there's a bigger issue, might make sense, but not for a reason like this.
The more exposure, the better and quicker the chance my house will sell. Before signing a 6 month contract starting Feb 1, I asked my agent these exact words, since its an MLS listing, will my house be listed on remax.ca, century 21, royal lapage, revel, (and other well known real estate sites) and he said YES. Its now feb.17 and my listing is only on realtor.ca, remaxabrealty.ca, homefinder.ca, stormrealty.ca, affinityrealestate.ca and 1 more. Its not on remax.ca, and all those other well known real estate sites. Yes realtor.ca and others that my listing is on are well known and great sites but I want even more exposure by having my agent keep his word. He keeps on telling me it will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 08:26 PM

4,521 posts, read 2,483,941 times
I understand what you've reported here... but there isn't anything the agent needs to DO to get those other sites to pick it up. Those sites are IDX feeds that feed from the MLS. If it's in the MLS and syndicated, they should pick it up automatically, and they should ALL have the same access to it, assuming those websites are functioning correctly. There isn't anything your agent should have to do to specify each one. That's why I say.... something is missing here.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:36 PM

11 posts, read 2,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I understand what you've reported here... but there isn't anything the agent needs to DO to get those other sites to pick it up. Those sites are IDX feeds that feed from the MLS. If it's in the MLS and syndicated, they should pick it up automatically, and they should ALL have the same access to it, assuming those websites are functioning correctly. There isn't anything your agent should have to do to specify each one. That's why I say.... something is missing here.
Others replied that there is no standard or requirement as to what, which and how many sites my MLS listing will appear on. Another said my real estate agent is suppose to set it up with remax and those others that my listing did not appear on. Could it be possible my agent is not setting it up with those other sites so he has a better chance of getting full commission instead of shared commission with remax, and those others?

All I know, from my own experience so far with a real estate agent, they (real estate board of canada) needs to change their policies when a home is for sale using an MLS and be more specific as to which, how many sites a listing will appear on and when.

Some other replies here say (or by emails I receieved from other agents) "its up to the real estate agent's company" and "the listing results will not be the same for every home on MLS" and "there isn't anything the agent needs to DO to get those other sites to pick it up. Those sites are IDX feeds that feed from the MLS. If it's in the MLS and syndicated, they should pick it up automatically, and they should ALL have the same access to it, assuming those websites are functioning correctly. There isn't anything your agent should have to do to specify each one. That's why I say.... something is missing here."

Last edited by len ren; 02-17-2019 at 08:52 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 06:42 AM

32,417 posts, read 56,660,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by len ren View Post
Others replied that there is no standard or requirement as to what, which and how many sites my MLS listing will appear on. Another said my real estate agent is suppose to set it up with remax and those others that my listing did not appear on. Could it be possible my agent is not setting it up with those other sites so he has a better chance of getting full commission instead of shared commission with remax, and those others?

All I know, from my own experience so far with a real estate agent, they (real estate board of canada) needs to change their policies when a home is for sale using an MLS and be more specific as to which, how many sites a listing will appear on and when.

Some other replies here say (or by emails I receieved from other agents) "its up to the real estate agent's company" and "the listing results will not be the same for every home on MLS" and "there isn't anything the agent needs to DO to get those other sites to pick it up. Those sites are IDX feeds that feed from the MLS. If it's in the MLS and syndicated, they should pick it up automatically, and they should ALL have the same access to it, assuming those websites are functioning correctly. There isn't anything your agent should have to do to specify each one. That's why I say.... something is missing here."

What is missing is your willingness to grasp real world market realities.

If you are on the MLS and various sites, and you are getting action, sell the dang place.
If you are not getting action, focus on what is wrong with your property or pricing, and fix it.

Quit worrying about some inky-dinky website that will get you 1 view a week and pay attention to your sale.

Reminds me of the listing I took many years ago, taking it at a terribly high price...
The owner beat me up about not selling it fast. But, was too unfocused to clean dog poop off the kitchen floor.

Amen to Bo:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
What type of buyer requires the most effort?

I know the above thread is about Buyers, but if we were talking Sellers ... example A is this thread.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:03 AM

2,642 posts, read 1,169,442 times
I agree with Mike about focusing on the bigger picture, and that if the house isn't selling this isn't the reason. I don't know if this was a matter of someone BS'ing you or not, but the sad truth is it doesn't really matter and you need to move on. Getting hung up on it is getting in the way of selling your house.

FWIW, I do have sympathy if indeed a realtor promised you something that simply wasn't true. Unfortunately, there does seem to be a lot of BSing taking place these days, not only in real estate but everywhere. I can believe someone tried to present it as a service he was providing, instead of telling you there are independent listing sites that might do that. FWIW, I just discovered some BSing that happened in my own real estate transaction, and yes it makes you angry. Especially when you realize how unnecessary most BS is. (If you had been told this might happen, instead of it will happen, you'd still have signed with him., right?)

But, it's time to shake it off, because you have bigger fish to fry. Third party listings are not going to be the reason your house sells. And if your house isn't selling you need to find out and focus on the real reason.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 02-18-2019 at 07:27 AM..

Old 02-18-2019, 07:36 AM

32,417 posts, read 56,660,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post

But, it's time to shake it off, ...
Nice. I am a sucker for a great classical music reference....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM

Old 02-18-2019, 09:05 AM

3,375 posts, read 2,886,283 times
Man, I hope OP doesn't get an offer before he has a chance to fire the agent.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:30 PM

8,963 posts, read 17,731,896 times
I only have one question....was the property actually listed on MLS? If so, it should have syndicated unless this is some oddball MLS that doesn't have syndication.

Also, I like the fact that the OP did literally ignore all the comments except one random bit that I looked through the post twice and couldn't find where anybody actually said the agent needed to post it on those sites. Mike and Bo are right, this OP may be getting taken for a ride, but they do seem like a difficult client. The agent should have been able to address this at listing or by now. It's really an easy call to tech support it if's in MLS but not syndicating.

OP, just ask if the property is listed on MLS, and if so does their MLS have syndication set up. Probably ask the Broker, they'll know much more about that than your agent.

And "Hey you TREES, get out of my way so I can find the FOREST!"

Old Today, 09:24 AM

1,019 posts, read 241,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by len ren View Post
Other question- If I ask my real estate agent to cancel my house for sale contract because he didnt honor his word, will he charge me any amount? Its indicated on contract I can cancel. He did take photos of my home and listed the sale on 4 sites but not the other ones, can he charge me for that?--but remember he didnt honor his word about the MLS listing to be on remax.ca and others (but it is on realtor.ca which is great)........im giving him until march 1 to clear this up about the other sites thats suppose to be.
Talk to your real estate attorney, because anything else this realtor tells you is highly suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or