Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 03:04 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,111,522 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't worry about this all that much. Sure, extra exposure is a good thing. But being on those sites really won't make much difference. Most buyers look at many sites, and they usually spend most of their time looking at the actual MLS. As long as you're house is there (and maybe on Zillow) you've probably got plenty of exposure.

Last edited by Yac; 11-23-2020 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 07:14 PM

92 posts, read 109,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I wouldn't worry about this all that much. Sure, extra exposure is a good thing. But being on those sites really won't make much difference. Most buyers look at many sites, and they usually spend most of their time looking at the actual MLS. As long as you're house is there (and maybe on Zillow) you've probably got plenty of exposure.
Yes I notice MLS.ca changed to realtor.ca/mls, my listing is there but my agent should/must honor his word and include my listing on remax.ca, century 21, etc for even better exposure. This is not stated in writing (except for the fact contract states MLS listing) but he confirmed to me orally before I signed. I'll give him til march 1 then I may ask him to cancel the contract without any charges since he didnt honor his word or will file a real estate agent complaint against him if this is not resolved. Thanks for your replies.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:32 PM

92 posts, read 109,414 times
Other question- If I ask my real estate agent to cancel my house for sale contract because he didnt honor his word, will he charge me any amount? Its indicated on contract I can cancel. He did take photos of my home and listed the sale on 4 sites but not the other ones, can he charge me for that?--but remember he didnt honor his word about the MLS listing to be on remax.ca and others (but it is on realtor.ca which is great)........im giving him until march 1 to clear this up about the other sites thats suppose to be.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:27 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
it's like you have the actual agents who have answered on "Ignore".

Old 02-15-2019, 05:02 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,329,163 times
Keep in mind that sites like Remax, Century 21, etc. are not public sites, they are privately owned by a corporation. While the listing may not currently show on their sites it may/should eventually. Realtors cannot force those sites to show your listing.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:37 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,111,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by len ren View Post
Other question- If I ask my real estate agent to cancel my house for sale contract because he didnt honor his word, will he charge me any amount? Its indicated on contract I can cancel. He did take photos of my home and listed the sale on 4 sites but not the other ones, can he charge me for that?--but remember he didnt honor his word about the MLS listing to be on remax.ca and others (but it is on realtor.ca which is great)........im giving him until march 1 to clear this up about the other sites thats suppose to be.

I'm a little confused by this. Whether it's listed on remax.ca or not, your house is listed on the MLS and presumably people are looking at it. If the realtor calls you this morning and says she has an offer, are you going to say "Too bad, I didn't see my listing on remax.ca and you said it would be there, so I don't want the offer"?

Is there a bigger reason you want to cancel the contract? Or, is there a reason you changed your mind about wanting to sell the house right now?

If not, cancelling a contract at this point for a reason like that seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Plus, you might miss out on a lot of the spring selling season and end up with a smaller pool of buyers. If there's a bigger issue, might make sense, but not for a reason like this.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 02-15-2019 at 06:36 AM..

Old 02-15-2019, 06:09 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
I once listed a house in the early days of the internet and it got copied by many sites. SIX YEARS later I got a call from a woman who wanted to buy the house and said she had found a listing. By then, it was a real bargain since prices had gone up a lot !!!
Of course, it was long since sold...

Old 02-15-2019, 07:28 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
What type of buyer requires the most effort?

I know the above thread is about Buyers, but if we were talking Sellers ... example A is this thread.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:30 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,660,310 times
The last time I looked, someone with nothing better to do had counted all the little websites and came up with almost 600 -- that was a year or so ago. So many of those feeds are sold and resold to other companies -- lots of newspaper feeds, for example.

In 2018, the largest number of unique visitors a month was Zillow, with 36 million.
2nd place: 23 million (might as well be Zillow . . . )
3rd place: Yahoo! Homes, 20 million
4th place: Realtor.com, 18 million
5th place: Redfin, 6 million

and then it drops dramatically into the 2's and 1's.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:53 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
I think there is a failure somewhere to understand or explain what's happening with this listing. I know how it works in our market, and our MLS, but I don't know and can't make sense of what has happened here. We don't know if the OP's home is listed incorrectly, or if the OP is searching incorrectly for it, or both!

I don't know where the fault is, but we have a client/customer here who does not understand what is happening with their own home listing and that's a problem.

OP - I think the best advice might be for you to call the broker in charge at the agency you signed with... someone local who belongs to your MLS and understands the systems and documents you have likely signed, and ask them what is happening with your listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate