Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,358 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mother on section 8. I've worked very hard to care for my two children on my own. I have never been on welfare, been on drugs, or been evicted. I'm suprised at some of the ignorant comments I'm hearing. Its almost 2010 and we still try and fit people in a certain box. People from all walks of life have issues and these stereotypical comments show it. It makes it hard for families who deserve a chance.
As far as section 8 landlords being slumlords... How is that possible when their rentals are inspected every year?
C'mon people. Get the facts before you talk so much mess about people who may not be as fortunate as yourselves. If people have nothing else to complain about maybe they should thank there lucky stars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:24 AM
fdt

1 posts, read 1,989 times
To those of you who think that everybody on section 8 is on welfare well you're wrong. I've been on section 8 for 8 years.We have a family of five and I'm married.I don't get cash from public assistance and we pay six hundred amonth plus light,gas and water.There are some working class people on sction 8 who will take care of the property.it's also up to the landlord to check on his or her property.Thank you a good section 8 tenant.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sect.8client&clean/w/degr View Post
i wish we were living in a quite, peaceful, & nonviolence world but we don't its up to the landlords to select their tenents not section 8. I'm from Jersey and all the people there weren't the best of candidates but thats up to section 8 once they loose it. Now i live in PA and its the same even if the property managements, realtors and landlords don't want to accept section 8 its not benefiting the states or America everyone decides a chance from all the immigrants coming from ALL OVER THE WORLD did we not give them a chanceYEARS AGO????? it all starts with helping one another not downing each other we are americans what u need to do is suggest that section 8 --housing choice voucher choice program have some of these people trained or take classes on keeping a clean house, maintaining their yard, and letting them know to pick a better choice of friends, because no one wants to loose their housing help unless they want to and they can not blame no one but themselves...... i have the same problem but im moving i have sect. 8 and my neighbors are disrespectful, loud, and ignorant so how do u think i feel//??????? i can't study at night i've been living in my townhouse for several years and i don't think i had to call mang.
(TO REPAIR ANYTHING) at all but one time. My old landlord from jersey did not want me to leave(8 yr.tenent) but i wanted to continue my degree in PA because the drive was just to much. Now i have new neighbors and they have no manners, they harass my children, do all sorts of illegal activities and it is a shame because this was a nice street but please believe me not all SECTION 8 CLIENTS ARE THE SAME SO DON'T PREJUDGE OR JUDGE US ALL THATZ Y CONGRESS IS PASSING LAWS FOR HOUSING DISCRIMINATION, BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE DOING JUST THAT PREJUDGING AND I PRAY THAT EVERYONE GETZ GOOD, CLEAN, RESPECTFUL AND QUITE NEIGHBORS AND SECTION 8 TENENTS! GOD BLESS US ALL
I agree with you 100% I'm also a section 8 tentant and have been for the last 4 years I have never been evicted from a place nor have I lived in the ghetto matter of fact I live in a HOA neighborhood in a beautiful 3 bedroom home and have been there since I recieved my housing voucher I also have a full time job as bank teller and I'm attending college for a small business degree so I feel like no one gives me anything the housing voucher onley helps me I still pay half of my rent I have never had the police come to my home for any reason,and I clean my house regulary so to have someone make all those statements about sect.8 tents they need to do more research because not all people are alike there are still some good people out here

Old 12-29-2010, 01:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,227,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambs444 View Post
It makes it hard for families who deserve a chance.
I find this facinating. Everyone deserves a chance and no one is keeping anyone from reaching their goals. Why in the world does anyone need a handout to get ahead in life? No one needs any kind of assistance to make it in life. The program could end today and people will still succeed. I would like to know why people from other nations can come here and after 10 or 15 years build a business, buy a home, and send kids to school for a college education and many that have been here for generations can't figure out how to do it. I have a friend that grew up poor. He decided when he was a kid that he would be rich. He now lives in a 6,000 square foot home on more than an acre in a gated community surrounded by ohter million and multi million dollar homes. No one gave him that home, he worked for it. Another friend who also grew up with little now owns three homes in the Malibu area. Myself, I put myself through school, worked hard, built a solid carreer and now have a home we just bought. If the government would just get out of the way of people and let them figure it out on their own we would have a more educated, wealthier nation.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:44 PM

7 posts, read 18,318 times
Angry not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatMe View Post
I own a single family home on a cul-de-sac where three homes were recently converted to Section 8 rentals. It has devastated our block. It was once quiet, peaceful and well-maintained. With the addition of 17 elementary-aged children, and several toddlers, divided among the three homes it's like living next to a daycare. That doesn't even take into account the countless number of appartently unemployed adult renters and visitors who are in and out at all hours of the day and night. Police calls to our block have gone from zero in the 20+ years I've lived here to a more a dozen in the first year. Noise, household debris, junk cars, litter, lawns that never get mowed - you name it - we have it.

The landlords are known slumlords and are well-insulated against complaints. HUD won't assist us, the organization that issues the vouchers won't assist us and our city is just figuring out that this is becoming a growing problem.

Show me a neighborhood that has been improved by bringing the welfare element into it. The homes in question rent for $1400 toand $1800 a month. The government didn't give me a handout when I chose to buy here... I worked hard so I could afford to buy here. Why should people with no pride in where and how they live be allowed to run a neighborhood down? Worst of all - we're literally paying for them to destroy our property values. The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program - which allows people to live in single family homes where there is no property management in place to monitor noise, litter, etc., - doesn't work. Oh, it's great for the renters, but it's a nightmare for hardworking homeowners.

I would caution anyone against buy in a neighborhood with known Section 8 properties and certainly wouldn't encourage investors to ruin nice neighborhoods by accepting Section 8 renters.

And yes, before anyone says we should try "talking" to our new neighbors to help them understand what's expected of them... believe me, we've tried that, and just about everything else. Nothing has worked.
not true all section 8 renters are not bad i have been on section 8 since 1993 i have always worked payed bills etc before you judge get to know who and how some of these people are

Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 AM

6,408 posts, read 10,219,732 times
You do realize that the last post before yours was from 2010?

Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,575,378 times
I sure wish CD would just lock old threads so that (however well meaning)
newbies can't bottom post their out of context questions or add 3 year late comments

Read the old threads? Absolutely. Encourage that.
They answer is probably in there somewhere.

But when the attempt is made to quote or post a quick reply... don't let it work.
Instead they can get a polite message advising the newbie about the age issue and suggesting
that they find a newer thread to bottom post onto (ha!) or point them to a "new post" button.

Have a sliding scale so the busier and longer threads can stay active longer...
but PLEASE shut them down at some point.

less than 10 posts? close and lock after X weeks of inactivity
less than 30 posts? close and lock after Y weeks of inactivity
less than 50 posts? close and lock after Z weeks of inactivity
and so forth...

Is that really so hard? No, it isn't.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:24 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,544,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatMe View Post
Show me a neighborhood that has been improved by bringing the welfare element into it. The homes in question rent for $1400 toand $1800 a month. The government didn't give me a handout when I chose to buy here... I worked hard so I could afford to buy here. Why should people with no pride in where and how they live be allowed to run a neighborhood down? Worst of all - we're literally paying for them to destroy our property values. The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program - which allows people to live in single family homes where there is no property management in place to monitor noise, litter, etc., - doesn't work. Oh, it's great for the renters, but it's a nightmare for hardworking homeowners.

I would caution anyone against buy in a neighborhood with known Section 8 properties and certainly wouldn't encourage investors to ruin nice neighborhoods by accepting Section 8 renters.
I agree. I don't think it's fair to people who can afford certain homes/neighborhoods to have people who can't move in right next door to them.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:31 AM

32,517 posts, read 47,566,435 times
There you have it.

The Section 8 tenants have come around to tell you that they are wonderful, but nobody else recommends renting to them.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:20 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,825,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There you have it.

The Section 8 tenants have come around to tell you that they are wonderful, but nobody else recommends renting to them.
That they also brag about how wonderful they are for receiving supposedly short term assistance for 20 years is astounding. It is no surprise to me that these folks don't get it, or rather they do get how to game the system and make they rest of us hard working folks who care about our property and neighbors look like schmucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate