Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 06:47 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,745,158 times

Advertisements

How come the large sites with listings such as Realtor.com, Zillow, etc. only have photos of properties?

It's 2019; I'd think there would be more video of properties by now to give buyers an even better look into a property's features?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 06:53 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
the agents for whatever reasons don't have 360 cameras ubiquitously, though the sphere mode on google camera seems good enough so it will likely take off in the near future

locally there are some where that is the selling point, but well, it doesn't sale the house. people still want actual walk through and a digital walk around of it didn't help until after the physical walk through. it's more to justify why they like it, and not getting them to like it in the first place

but again, Im not in the business but was told that at open houses

edit, misinterpreted video as those 360 pictures :/ what did you think you'll see in a video that a photo doesn't show? there is no "action" in a house to capture by video

Old 02-24-2019, 06:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
How come the large sites with listings... only have photos of properties?
...I'd think there would be more video of properties by now
Start with the specific LISTING AGENT involved.

And what is with the expanding usage of 'random' by millenials?

Old 02-24-2019, 07:03 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
How come the large sites with listings such as Realtor.com, Zillow, etc. only have photos of properties?

It's 2019; I'd think there would be more video of properties by now to give buyers an even better look into a property's features?
These are not real estate sites.
They are mere sales lead generation sites for agents who pay a lot of money to be there in hopes that people will contact them.
I.e., their only intended function is to have you contact an agent for more information.

The lead gen sites only provide what the listing agent provides. They don't create content.
As far as video goes, it can be difficult and expensive and can require a lot of bandwidth when done well.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:40 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I personally dislike a dependence on videos. Being detail oriented I look deeply into each photo and videos move too quickly. But a single video on top of 20+ photos is great for showing how rooms and exterior features relate to each other. And the photographer can’t mess with the scale like by stretching rooms to look huge

Old 02-24-2019, 09:53 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I like 3D Matterport better than video.

More control of the timeline is available to the viewer.

https://matterport.com/gallery/
One from the gallery:

https://matterport.com/3d-space/penn...raftsman-home/

Old 02-24-2019, 01:47 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I like 3D Matterport better than video.

More control of the timeline is available to the viewer.

https://matterport.com/gallery/
One from the gallery:

https://matterport.com/3d-space/penn...raftsman-home/
Interesting... looks like google's "engine" for street view.

Not sure I will ever get used to the opposite mouse gestures to navigate (read: I crash planes in flight simulators), but I agree this is a much better usecase for a home walkthrough than a video where you're frustrated with angles always having to pause.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:41 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:

Actually, video makes used homes look terrible. Unless the interior is new, or absolutely spotless and staged, with no personal belongings, video of the interior is more of a detriment than a help.

This may be due to conditioning in our viewing habits when watching movies. Most movie scenes involve sets that are filled with intent, and we tend to look closely for cues and clues. With a real estate video, this ends up in most viewers concentrating on personal items, utility items, toothpaste, soap, books, paintings, family photos, etc. I had one lovely home that I spent 4 hours shooting video of. Big Colonial, lovely in person, but the sellers were both artists and the home was filled with their work, as well as light clutter. When I loaded it up in Avid, I started editing and quickly decided I had nothing. Every room had distractions in frame and the lighting was also difficult to equalize. I gave up and just stuck with photos.

I now use it only in vacant homes, or in exterior drone shots.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 02-24-2019 at 02:50 PM..

Old 02-24-2019, 03:17 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:

It's 2019, but light is still light. It is actually difficult to shoot video in tight spaces and make it look good. Most people have a mix of white and yellow light in their light bulbs which cast different tones in the video. Windows get blown out or the opposite, darken a room as the camera choose to use the light from the window instead. I don't think you appreciate how difficult lighting is in a house to get a good looking video. As such, they are expensive, and generally only done on higher-end properties that have a higher marketing budget.

I have done videos in the past and I track the clicks. They have not been worth it at all. The only exception is drone footage of acreage. People watch that.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:27 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
yes.
you win.
"most random" Oscar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate