Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 04:51 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
To change things would require a legal battle. I’m not up for that.
This is the equivalent of acknowledging you have a health problem, but you refuse to seek medical care. Your dubious workaround of posting complaint signs on common areas got you "slandered," so it seems like the cure for that is not to do it again. I don't see how we can offer any other useful advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 05:51 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Thanks for the great advice.

The HOA that I sued is a separate HOA. That HOA is now friendly, since its board was replaced (in part due to the lawsuit), and I got a lot of support from neighbors there. Except for one rotten apple who was on that board, that HOA is good people.

The slandering HOA is a separate one. Some of the people on that board are bad people, and I really do not want to get into a dispute with them; they'd likely break into my place and turn off utilities or whatever, or do bad things. I just do not like being slandered.
Reading this post and some of the threads you started - forum personality?

Old 02-28-2019, 05:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I would have lots of fun with this one! Either through LAI's (Laughable Acts of Irritation) or MAI's (Mysterious Acts of Irritation). Just recall, it's all circumstancial evidence without proof!

I've never heard of an HOA board acting like this and I've dealt with a number of them!
Our board was about this bad
One of our homeowners did sue the board because of a home that was approved by the architectural committee which required exceptions to HOA covenants
Had arbitration hearing—
Our HOA insurance settled with him
One of the guys on that ACC was former president of HOA who made similar bad design approval for home on our court
He had real control issues and ran the HOA board like his fiefdom

Old 02-28-2019, 06:09 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone. When anyone tries to submit his or her own proxy- even when prepared by a lawyer, the HOA board rejects it. To change things would require a legal battle. I’m not up for that.

To that, I would reiterate:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
4. Move.
I would get out of Dodge.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:12 AM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Reading this post and some of the threads you started - forum personality?

I probably am more contentious than most people, I'll certainly concede, if that's what you're saying.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:31 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
I suspect many of these wounds are self inflicted. Perhaps the remedy is to mind your own business?

I mean it could always be worse...they could be running a brothel or some....oh, wait. You say they are running a brothel?

Maybe still mind your own business and just go about your day?

Old 02-28-2019, 10:34 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone. When anyone tries to submit his or her own proxy- even when prepared by a lawyer, the HOA board rejects it. To change things would require a legal battle. I’m not up for that.
Then forget it and move on with your life.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:43 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Florida has a state board of Condominiums which seems viable - Other states may have the same:

"You may file a written complaint with the Division of Florida Condominiums, Timeshares, and Mobile Homes. To request a Condominium/Cooperative Complaint Form (PDF), you may call 1.800.226.9101 (from within Florida only) or 850.488.1122, or download a printable copy from this page."

Florida also has laws (with teeth) that define and restrict the activities of HOA boards: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/bus...147952959.html

Check this out in your own state.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:45 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I suspect many of these wounds are self inflicted. Perhaps the remedy is to mind your own business?

I mean it could always be worse...they could be running a brothel or some....oh, wait. You say they are running a brothel?

Maybe still mind your own business and just go about your day?

They are running a brothel, and other owners suspect that some people in management are pocketing our HOA dues. Since we're not allowed to receive financial information and other records that, by law, we're required to receive, and since everything about management of the HOA is so secretive, people's worst suspicions aren't alleviated.

I'm not planning to do anything, but when I'm slandered and there are rumors of my money being pocketed by someone, and who knows what else going on in secret, and when laws are violated, I think someone should figure out what's going on and make sure that things are by the book. Not clear on why people should just do nothing, other than solely to avoid having their skulls broken late at night.

jhgorton, brilliant post, and thanks!

Old 02-28-2019, 01:55 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
False Statements

Other owners have reported to me that the board is telling them that it has video footage of me destroying communal property.
You mean sort of like you telling others that there is video evidence that the Board president is running a brothel out of a spare bedroom?

That sort of slander?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate