U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 05:36 PM

12,739 posts, read 6,088,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I welcome anyone to meet in person and see these people! Neighbors have warned me about one of the board members, saying that the board member is "a cruel person". In my view, they're hiding something and don't want to be uncovered, and they're nasty.
brothers are illegal and a matter for police, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 05:47 PM

13,848 posts, read 32,198,864 times
Quote:
Not where I live (2-party consent is not required), and a neighbor did it anyway.
What the neighbor did is eavesdropping which is illegal in all 50 states. I just looked it up and is a violation of federal law. If you and the neighbor are doing these types of things, I can see why people are avoiding you.

If you think it is a brothel, call the police. It's creepy that you are supporting the recording of other people's conversations that you aren't privy to.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
What the neighbor did is eavesdropping which is illegal in all 50 states. I just looked it up and is a violation of federal law. If you and the neighbor are doing these types of things, I can see why people are avoiding you.

If you think it is a brothel, call the police. It's creepy that you are supporting the recording of other people's conversations that you aren't privy to.
Right. One party consent does not apply to recording conversations and other things one is not involved in. We have one party consent in Texas, it doesn't mean I can record my neighbor in her condo. Unless I am IN her condo with her conversing.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:15 PM

1,248 posts, read 365,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
If you and the neighbor are doing these types of things, I can see why people are avoiding you.

I didn't do the recording. I'm not sure how I'm "supporting" the recording; I was simply told about it.

It was done with a video camera and related microphone.

I'm not interested in calling the police--again, one board member is nasty enough that I'd be concerned about my physical safety or property if I did that. I did file a police report about the board member, though, after being physically threatened while walking to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Right. One party consent does not apply to recording conversations and other things one is not involved in. We have one party consent in Texas, it doesn't mean I can record my neighbor in her condo. Unless I am IN her condo with her conversing.

You're right, I see.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:36 PM

12,457 posts, read 17,101,632 times
Maybe you should talk to your therapist.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:41 PM

I think you just have to live with it. You're not up for court, you're psychically afraid of them. Pay your dues, follow the rules, and consider it none of your business.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:52 PM

1,248 posts, read 365,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think you just have to live with it. You're not up for court, you're psychically afraid of them. Pay your dues, follow the rules, and consider it none of your business.

I think you're right. Ugh.

I despite HOAs.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I think you're right. Ugh.

I despite HOAs.
I don't even fell fearful and I'm like whatever. My life is a LOT more peaceful since I let it go. The politics. The gossip. The backbiting. bleh.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:23 PM

334 posts, read 81,237 times
Quote:
I welcome anyone to meet in person and see these people! Neighbors have warned me about one of the board members, saying that the board member is "a cruel person". In my view, they're hiding something and don't want to be uncovered, and they're nasty.
Your view is tainted by fiction.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:29 PM

Another bit of advice: I've been dealing with this for 15 years and learned to stop listening to every paranoid neighbor's theories and gossip and whatnot. There has never been a board that wasn't accused of pocketing funds, etc. Ever. We had a big lawsuit once that cost us a mint and not a single dollar in wrongdoing was found. Nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or