Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 02:03 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,315,305 times

Advertisements

Sorry to appear dumb , but what does HUD really mean? I realize it stands for Housing and Urban Development, but I was looking at apartments and a couple of the said "HUD approved." Does this mean there are income or financial guidelines in place if you want to live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 04:06 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,087,323 times
Visit the HUD website for more info ..

http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/hccprof14.cfm

What is the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development?

Also known as HUD, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development was established in 1965 to develop national policies and programs to address housing needs in the U.S. One of HUD's primary missions is to create a suitable living environment for all Americans by developing and improving the country's communities and enforcing fair housing laws

How does Hud help homebuyers and homeowners?

HUD helps people by administering a variety of programs that develop and support affordable housing. Specifically, HUD plays a large role in homeownership by making loans available for lower- and moderate-income families through its FHA mortgage insurance program and its HUD Homes program. HUD owns homes in many communities throughout the U.S. and offers them for sale at attractive prices and economical terms. HUD also seeks to protect consumers through education, Fair Housing Laws, and housing rehabilitation initiatives.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:27 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,315,305 times
Thank you for the website and the info. I'll definitely have to read on the site cause I'm still confused since apartments are associated with HUD.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:46 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,087,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Thank you for the website and the info. I'll definitely have to read on the site cause I'm still confused since apartments are associated with HUD.
If I recall correctly, apartments that are “HUD approved." Means that the landlord will rent to individuals with low income subsidized from state/federal funding. Best choice is to ask the landlord and they will explain it better.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 482,327 times
how can I know if I am eligible for an apartment

where are the apartments in Suffolk County LI NY

Old 02-23-2011, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 482,327 times
where can i find HUD apartments on Suffolk Country LI NY

Old 05-21-2011, 05:29 PM

9 posts, read 252,276 times
In our area they are usually nice apartments that you do not want to live in because they have been overrun by gov't teet suckers and they are probably full of crime. It is unfortunate for people who legitamatly need help and have to live around trash.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:52 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,140,952 times
Ask your local HUD office to find out where they are.

Ask potential landlords if they take "Section 8" renters (Don't say this to potential employers as "Section 8" is also used to refer to people who have been discharged from the military due to mental instability.).

I've never lived in Section 8 housing, but I've lived next to it (unintentionally I probably wouldn't have rented in that complex if I knew that). You do hear stories from neighbors about folks trying to mug them or break into their places, and there will be some unsavory characters around. Obviously the danger probably depends on how dangerous your overall area is and what kind of presence the cops keep in your immediate neighborhood.

On the other hand there are plenty of decent people in Section 8 housing both on Section 8 and not, but yeah if you can get a better financial situation and move out you'll probably want to.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 169,747 times
I'm looking at a home that i'm interested in purchasing but when I do an assessment property search, it says it owned by "Secretary of HUD"...Are these types of homes difficult to purchase? I understand by my Realtor that this particular home has been on the market for some time, with potential buyers but was unable to purchase it. What is the criteria for purchasing a home sold by the "Secretary of HUD"? Thank you

Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 PM

3,805 posts, read 9,281,252 times
Many times the Settlement Statement that is part of the closing documents is referred to as "The HUD."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate