Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 04:47 PM

356 posts, read 175,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
lol I wanna know where you had apartments at then. I've never seen an apartment layout like that before, and I'd not consider that "poor". Most apts kitchens are small and tiny that I've lived in/seen.
No kidding right? I lived in apartments until I was 34 years old and I would have loved a place like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 06:05 PM

51,618 posts, read 25,681,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All I know is, my kitchen is never pristine more than once a day, so why would I want guests to have a view of it? Also, I like being able to get away from the noise of the TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Open plans are much more noisy. Especially if you have a bunch of screaming children. The echoing and noise is a deal breaker for me.
Exactly.

I don't care for the TV yammering away in the corner like an insane relative, and I especially don't like listening to the endless drivel that is "sports commentary."

My husbands enjoys watching football, basketball, hockey, soccer, golf, ...

With an open concept home, by now he'd be the ex-husband.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:26 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,609,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Exactly.

I don't care for the TV yammering away in the corner like an insane relative, and I especially don't like listening to the endless drivel that is "sports commentary."

That’s a problem of a way too small home. I don’t like hearing anyone else’s TV either, which is why you need a separate bonus room / hobby room for TV. We don’t ever use the living room for TV, it goes unused. That’s what the daylight basement is for, in our case, or a large closed off bonus room.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:43 PM

356 posts, read 175,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
That’s a problem of a way too small home. I don’t like hearing anyone else’s TV either, which is why you need a separate bonus room / hobby room for TV. We don’t ever use the living room for TV, it goes unused. That’s what the daylight basement is for, in our case, or a large closed off bonus room.
I think it's a problem of people being lazy bums watching TV too much. These TV addicts need to get a life.

And start cleaning up dirty dishes too, if looking at them bothers people so much.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:59 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,638,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Exactly.

TBH, sounds like you have marital issues more than anything else...

Old 03-19-2019, 08:52 PM

6,501 posts, read 4,909,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
we use every inch of the space in our open concept room as the flexibility allowed us to use the space to accommodate our needs instead of having separate rooms designed for designated purposes like a formal living room or formal dining room.
"Closed" rooms are just as flexible. I've used my sunroom as a bedroom. My dining room is a shop for my business, though I'm ready to put a table back in it. I wouldn't have been able to run a business in a room with windows in an open concept house, I would have been stuffed in the basement.

There is no rule that says just because the real estate listing says xyz room is a living room, that you need to use it as such.

Someone else mentioned echoes, and they're right. Even the houses I'm in with a decent amount of furniture echo too much. The vaulted ceilings don't help at all.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
TBH, sounds like you have marital issues more than anything else...
TBH, we do indeed have marital issues. Have had them since we fell in love decades ago.

Somehow, we've managed to negotiate solutions to our differences, raise a bunch of good kids, and are now enjoying the final leg of our journey together.

But our marriage would never survive if we moved into one of those retirement community, open concept garden homes.

I don't know if it would have survived raising teenagers in an open concept home.

For years, we had a houseful of kids most evenings. They were doing homework together, working on group projects, having game nights, or just hanging out listening to music/watching a movie. They made regular forays through the kitchen/eating area, of course. But thank heavens we had a dining room, living room, and a family room for them to wander off to.

I can understand how some couples and even those with young families might enjoy the constant togetherness of open concept.

But doesn't work for everyone. I suspect some buyers are figuring this out.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
"Closed" rooms are just as flexible. I've used my sunroom as a bedroom. My dining room is a shop for my business, though I'm ready to put a table back in it. I wouldn't have been able to run a business in a room with windows in an open concept house, I would have been stuffed in the basement.

There is no rule that says just because the real estate listing says xyz room is a living room, that you need to use it as such.

Someone else mentioned echoes, and they're right. Even the houses I'm in with a decent amount of furniture echo too much. The vaulted ceilings don't help at all.
Dining rooms fit into that category, for sure.

Our dining room was used for school projects. For years we had a stack of those tri-fold project boards leaning against the hutch. Always need to clear away the wrapping paper and ribbon to serve Christmas dinner. Have garden books, seeds, and bulbs on our dining table right now.

Our living room has been an office for several years now.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:36 AM

3,462 posts, read 4,812,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
When do you think that was?
Well when I say "started" I really mean when it became the trend in new construction. It started showing up in the late 90's around here and became prevalent in new construction in the mid 2000's or so. The first new construction larger open concept homes I walked through, I was thinking I would absolutely hate living in one myself. I knew it would be a trend that would die once people lived in them a while and realized all the disadvantages. It basically took about the amount of time for people to buy the homes, have children and then deal with all the noise and clutter. Now here we are with people selling their open concept homes and buying more traditional style homes.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:45 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,550,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
I think it's a problem of people being lazy bums watching TV too much. These TV addicts need to get a life.

And start cleaning up dirty dishes too, if looking at them bothers people so much.
lol

Seems pretty simple to me, that's why God invented dishwashers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate