Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2019, 06:07 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times

Advertisements

yikes.

Some people are going to love more traditional homes with separated spaces. Other people are not. Things will become trendy and not and trendy again. But there will always be people who enjoy one of the other for different reasons.

I love open concept. I always have, ever since I first took an interest in Architecture growing up. I saw all these open concept, compact modern homes and really loved them compared to the more traditional homes I spent most my time in. When I bought my first house in SC when I was 23 (I am 34 currently), I really wanted something compact, open, and modern...but in my right-out-of-college budget and in South Carolina, that was just not going to happen. We got a home that we liked and we made it our own but I always disliked all the extra space we had and the closed off rooms that we didn't really need.

When I moved to Dallas, I got a studio apartment near downtown and we've loved it for the last 3 years. We are in the process of closing on a awesome home that is compact, open, and modern and we couldn't be more excited.

It is just two of us. We prefer a more urban lifestyle. We do not have kids, nor do we intend to (we have some great nieces and nephews!). We love to entertain and do it regularly. We both prefer compact, open spaces (she lived in NYC for years and it's what she is used to and what she likes and same for me).

Now, I don't expect this to change anyone's mind (because heck we have had this conversation 100x over on this board). But no matter what anyone else thinks, I love and PREFER open concept. But I also understand and accept that others don't. And that's fine, as long as those same people don't trick themselves into thinking that no one likes open concept just because they don't...

Also, the kind of open concept homes I like are certainly not cheap to build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 09:42 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Does the cost of the large supporting beams needed actually save money on the wall costs? I know those beams are much more expensive.

None the less, that floor plan is popular, whether it saves money or not.
Yeah, building a non-load-bearing wall costs next to nothing.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:38 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I can assure you that there was central heating in CT 100 years ago.

Houses were designed then to allow air to flow through them. Our forefathers were actually pretty smart like that.
There was central heating in Europe 2000 years ago. The Romans built hypocausts that kept rooms warm.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:45 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Ya know, there are GOOD open concept homes that suit the needs of the person/couple/small family in both urban condos and lakeside cabins. And there are BAD tract houses that echo mercilessly with no walls whatever that just need a few pallets to look like a Costco!

Likewise there are beautiful defined-area homes like central foyer colonials, spanish ranches with courtyards, country farmhouses that raise multi generations with joy, ...even modern homes can come in many styles also.

Good design will work best when mated to the lifestyle of it's inhabitants, whether it's small-open, rambling-open-ish, or large-closed.
Moral: Choose a home that works for YOU, and not because it looks great in a magazine!

Old 03-23-2019, 07:21 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Open Concept is a crime. No taste at all.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:24 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Ya know, there are GOOD open concept homes that suit the needs of the person/couple/small family in both urban condos and lakeside cabins. And there are BAD tract houses that echo mercilessly with no walls whatever that just need a few pallets to look like a Costco!

Likewise there are beautiful defined-area homes like central foyer colonials, spanish ranches with courtyards, country farmhouses that raise multi generations with joy, ...even modern homes can come in many styles also.

Good design will work best when mated to the lifestyle of it's inhabitants, whether it's small-open, rambling-open-ish, or large-closed.
Moral: Choose a home that works for YOU, and not because it looks great in a magazine!
Nah, that makes too much sense.

People who like open concept are clearly just wrong, that's been made abundantly clear in this and multiple other threads.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:04 AM

356 posts, read 175,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Thank you for this amazing contribution.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:18 AM

356 posts, read 175,808 times
Quote:

This says it all, perfectly.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Taste and style are not directly equated to the amorphous concepts of "Open" vs "Closed". You can have a stylish, tasteless, timeless home built around both ideas (in wide variety of architectural styles) or you can have bland, builder-basic, no style homes in both. It's about a lot, lot more than that. If open concept by itself indicates no taste, you probably have a pretty narrow palette comprised of only what you like and have a hard time objectively viewing different architectural approaches to dwellings.

I can prefer mid-century modern homes or modern open-concept homes for myself but still appreciate a well-maintained italianate brownstone with original features, or a tastefully updated craftsman or tudor style home without saying they have no taste just because I prefer something different. There is a lot of design work that goes into making something feel open, modern, and clean without feeling boring, cold, and sterile. The same way you can't just throw up craftsman-style trim and builder-grade finishes on a craftsman based layout and create a home that has the inviting warmth of a true craftsman style home, no one is going to argue that just knocking down walls and painting everything white makes a great open concept home either.

Last edited by Sunbather; 03-23-2019 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-23-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate